junk maille? spare rings?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 0

junk maille? spare rings?
Posted on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:18 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Im looking for spare rings, basicly anything that you have laying around, from a past project, current project, floor scrapings, doesent matter. I know you have them, i have some. Im new to all this all ive used is aluminum, so anything is good for me! even if its one! ill take it! so if you have rings that your willing to donate! please let me know! Thanks!

Submissions: 14

Posted on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:07 pm

Is it for a specific project, or just in general? If it's in general, you might have better luck putting this thread in the trading room.

Welcome to the boards, though! Very Happy

I'll rise, but I won't shine.

Submissions: 72

Posted on Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:53 pm

Yeah, I'll agree that the trading room would probably be a better place for this topic.

At any rate, I'm not exactly willing to simply give my rings away since I put in a lot of work and money for them. If you're interested at all, I'm hoping to trade rings or wire for colored pop tabs. If you're curious about what wire types I have and what ring sizes I have and can make, I have a thread in the trading room all about it. Also, like the post says, I'm willing to be a bit generous with my supplies because I need the tabs rather soon.

If you're hoping to just get free wire and supplies, it is possible to get it if you look in the right places.

Construction sites are good places to get copper wire usually in either 16ga or 18ga. It's a good idea to ask the site boss before you go digging through their scraps though.

If you happen to live in a farming community like I do, you may have an easy time finding galvanized steel electric fence wire. I've gotten tons of galvy from our local dump's metal pile just by asking for it.

For pliers, it's usually good to spend a little extra money and buy a good brand like ACE or Craftsman. I've had my Craftsman slip joint pliers for a while now, and they are hands down the BEST pliers I've ever owned. From ACE, I buy spring loaded bent needle nose, which are great. The teeth eventually wear down on my 3/4 hard stainless, and the spring has a tendency to break after a while, but with a lifetime guarantee, I can just trade them in for new ones once they get worn down enough.

~Mical~ Coif Smiley

Posted on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:25 pm

Mmmmm, Trading Room would be a good place for it, as long as you have something you are willing to trade...

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:40 pm

Hrm. I'll assume there's some kind of language gap.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=9409 <-- I suggested yesterday in your other misplaced thread in the Requests forum that, if there's a place at all, it would be the Trading Room. Group Projects is also the wrong place.

You can find Trading Room forum By Clicking Here .

And, while I'm at it, I'll repost:
----
That's not the kind of "requests" the request forum handles.

I'm not sure we even allow people to beg for donations, but, if there is a place for that, it is the trading forums.

I'm moving this thread there.

[Edited to add: Actually, I don't have mod privileges here. If another admin wouldn't mind shuffling this over there...]

For personal commentary, I'm sure everyone on the the forums would love free things. Many people struggle to save enough to buy wire to make rings, and have to save up a long time to be able to enjoy their art/hobby, but they work and scrimp and save and cut corners in other parts of their lives to be able to do this. Some people pick through other's garbages and tear apart scraps of things they can find with wire in them just to have something to weave with. Coat hangers, electrical wire, etc.

So, I'm not sure how many people are going to be interested in giving away something they specifically had to buy or spend hours and hours making. People work for everything they have.

Random rings might not even be worth the price of shipping.

Best of luck though, if someone wants to get rid of what they've got and just want it gone, you'd make each other happy.

Submissions: 17

Posted on Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:55 pm

if it was a group asking for rings ( Ie dodge rings that you put aside, like i do im a ring snob Razz ) that would make sense, but your not even doing it for a group project. Just sounds like plain old begging Mad ( much like i do for food at lunch time in school Laughing )

Posted on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:03 am

is this person begging for rings or is there a project in this? some kind of frankenmaille made of a random assortment of rings found on maillers' floors...

Posted on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:07 am

Wire is readily available and relatively inexpensive. If you buy some and make your own rings at least they willl be the size and gauge you want to use. Your house is full of mandrels! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:18 am

why not just put this in chat? or KC? or...why does it matter?

trl sells floor sweepings.

if you want to come over and individually pick rings out of my carpet, you can keep them.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:29 am

This is a very dead thread.... Original poster hasn't even bothered to visit the forum since July, 24 2007 when this was started so... Rolling Eyes

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:40 pm

hah! see how sporadically i'm around, no recognition. and i didn't even think to check the post date.

kim

Submissions: 294

Posted on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:39 pm

Should we lock this?

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:52 pm

i dunno, it's not hurting anything, except the sensibilities of those who despise necros.

kim

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:36 pm

I'm not really keen on locking it, just pointing out how old it is and how unlikely it is the original poster cares anymore.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:38 pm

well then -you- can come and pick rings out of my carpet.

kim

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next