Northwest Maille Fest?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 4

Northwest Maille Fest?
Posted on Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:42 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I know I tried to set something up like this earlier, but I see the Northeast Maille fest about to happen, so....

WHERE THE HECK DO WE MEET?

Now that my puzzlement is out on the table, I'd like to ask some folks where they would like to meet, or rather, what would be the best location for everyone? To help this go on, lets at least give our states we live in and we'll go from there.

Jenga-Utah

Ask not what wd-40 can do for you, instead ask what wd-40 cannot do for you...... (quietly slurps his wd-40 protectively and growls)

NorthWest MailleFest!
http://mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=9249

Submissions: 2

Posted on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:10 pm

It would be cool if we could get one together.

I live up in Olympia, Washington.

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:45 am

I've discussed this topic before with a couple people from Idaho.

I'm in Oregon. I know there are a number of other maillers in Oregon and Washington.

I think Dierdre mentioned wanting to host a smaller gathering at her place, in Idaho.

I know of a few locations that we could host a much larger event, though, getting people to show up may be difficult. I already attend a couple large events in my area so I could spread the word that way, but not all those people are maillers.

Let me know what anyone comes up with.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:06 pm

I know of at least one place that a bunch of LARP people meet at up here in Washington. We might be able to meet at one of their conventions, who knows I don't know much about LARP stuff.

But from the sounds of it Oregon is kind of the central state so far.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:40 pm

There's three of us here in Boise (at least that I know personaly anyway). As far as hosting a small gathering here at my place, I don't think it's in the cards this year. My current order load is just too high for me to have the time to put one together, and I don't anticipate it slowing down any time soon. Plus, we're moving back to Seattle in September, so I just have a little too much on my plate at the moment.

If one was put together by someone else though and it was fairly close I'd be there with bells on. Wink

Posted on Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:01 pm

I've got at least one other here in brigham that'd be coming too.

Deidre, did you say you live in boise? Or are you just there for now? I read something about seattle....

*edit* reread the post, haha guess I'll get to it Deidre, I know of a few places up in boise we could all meet, or even in pocatello (bit of a drive I know) but I'll try to keep everyone in mind, 'specially you warshinton people.

Ask not what wd-40 can do for you, instead ask what wd-40 cannot do for you...... (quietly slurps his wd-40 protectively and growls)

NorthWest MailleFest!

Posted on Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:46 pm

Yeah us Warshington people are up in a coner.

I know a couple of friends who would go with me if I went.

Maybe we could come down to Or-e-gone (sorry oregon people, I don't know any funny ways of saying Utah Very Happy )

Posted on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:22 pm

I applaud your mispronounciation of my state in text, ColdChicken.

I'm pretty sure I have a site we can use but it'd cost, I think, about three thousand dollars for a weekend.

I think that's an accurate estimate. You have to account for insurance and disposal of human waste. I think there was something else, too.

It'd probably be cheaper, though, since it isn't likely to have more than a couple hundred people in it's first year.

That'd be in Springfield, Oregon, by the way. That'd be quite a bit closer for you, Dierdre, once you move.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:53 pm

I too am from Idaho. Boise originally, but now live out in Nampa, only to be closer to work.

Submissions: 72

Posted on Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:04 pm

Quote:
It'd probably be cheaper, though, since it isn't likely to have more than a couple hundred people in it's first year.

Is this still referring to a gathering of maillers? I don't think the Northeast maille fest has broken 20 people yet, and they've been going for a few years now.

I used to think that the place I'm living right now would work, but I neglected to consider waste disposal, food storage, parking space, and things of that nature, so it's definitely out of the question. A cheap little camp site with adequate bathrooms would be ideal IMO. A few benches would be nice too. Smile

~Mical~ Coif Smiley

Posted on Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:19 pm

I'll be heading up to pocatello in 4 weeks, I don't know if anyone has seen it, but its' called scout mountain. plenty of tables, camp areas, and only ten or 20 minutes away from everything, so if you forgot that extra pair of pliers.... a walmart/home depot is just two clicks away. I'll see if I can gather up some info and get it to you guys to decide

NorthWest MailleFest!

Posted on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:42 pm

Mical: Yeah, I was referring to the gathering of maillers. I imagine I could get around 100 people to show up. Maybe less, but I'm certain I could get more than 20 people to show up.

I was thinking more along the lines of a weekend camping event for vendors. It'd be a cross between the rennaisance faires, which are vendor orented, and the SCA events, where there's only about ten or 20 vendors.

Posted on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:23 pm

~update~

I've been to the site I was referring to, along with making some notations about how many sites and things there are. I'm trying to get in contact with the local marshall or whatever you call them, and get prices as well as reservations. What I need is a date that seems fair for everyone. Perhaps a Friday-Sunday about midsummer. I'll post dates and options once I get a new calender for 08' til then, keep on clippin' Cutters Cutters

NorthWest MailleFest!

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:34 am

I'm in Klamath Falls, Oregon...all my weekend are full all summer long, but that's with one that about a dozen of us rockhounds go out to the high desert to dig obsidian....needles, mohogany, rainbow and electric blue....Davis Creek, extreme NE California... we camp out for 3-4 days, there's good water, a lot of tree's, a little creek, free camping with a potty.... get together to trade rocks and socialize, go on a few field trips to the obsidian....we set up a main kitchen, and kinda have potluck suppers....

Anyway, something like that would be the ticket....eastern Oregon sounds central to most.

I'm willing to contibute to scouting and, well whatever developes into a need....I have tables and pop-ups, tarps, and a pretty good knowledge of east Oregon, North Cal, and even owahee country gathering sites that might work, in the summer.

Kodiak-
kodiaknamaste@yahoo.com
charlie@charlieschaincraft.com
www.charlieschaincraft.com

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 14

Posted on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:13 pm

Springfield would be great for me. I'm in Cottage Grove, OR, so that's only about 20 miles away for me. ^w^
Unfortunately I'm one of the young'ns in terms of this group, so anything too much farther than that's pretty hard for me to pull off.

"My friend, it seems you're missing the filter that goes between your brain and mouth."

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next