Hail Realm
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 1

Hail Realm
Posted on Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:38 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm new here, and I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Robin Gosse, and I live in Newfoundland, Canada. My interest in maille developed over the past month or so, and i have since made 5 hacky sacks, two pouches, [all in euro 4-1], a 45" 8-1 belt, and a 36" 3-1 spiral belt. And all that from 2 pounds of 16g 3/8ths galv steel!

I have a back order of quite a bit of material, on my plate right now is a grad dress, a tie, a couple of vests, lots of belts, some pouches, hacky sacks, a coif and a pair of full lenth trench coats.

I'd love to have close ties with others in the chain maille interest group, so that I may discuss progress and ideas.

Many thanks.
- Spider LoreCaster

Submissions: 83

Posted on Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:11 pm

Welcome, robin was it? (sorry if i messed up, bad memory Very Happy)
I think you'll find this place has allllll the information you'll need (besides the pattern for those trenchcoats...but im sure all of us together can help you out, no problem.)
There is a quite a bit of a resource at this place, you'll find that out just by looking around. If you ever have any questions, please never hesitate to ask them. Very Happy
(btw: since this is your first post, we'll let it slide that you posted it in the gallery dicussion Wink for general messages like this, we try to stay in the 'Knitting Circle')

EDIT: just noticed your from newfoundland!! welcome, neighbour Very Happy ) /EDIT

Submissions: 57

Posted on Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:08 pm

welcome lorecaster to m.a.i.l. it sounds like you have lots of projects to do.

i cant even imagin what you might charge for the full length trench coates so much work.

thou i have a story that my friend told me about a maille trench coat he made.

he made it for the hell of it and it was so heavy he had to asemble it in peices then put it togeather .

he said that a young kid came into the coffee shop where he worked, when he was almost finished. the kid asked how much to buy it and my friend tryed to warn him of its weight but the kid ansisted and so he quoted him 500 dollars.

the kid said ok i will have my paycheck in 2 weeks i will buy it then. he said ok i will have it finished by then. so apon finishing it my friend and 4 of his friends helped him try it on ,the blasted thing weighed 300 pounds and he had to squirm into it on the ground and the other guys were there just to asist him standing up and make sure he didnt fall over while up. mind you my friend is not weak he has some strength and is a marsial arts instructor.

well he stood there for about 15 seconds before taking it off. when the next week rolled around he met the kid in a designated parking lot and made the exchange. he made sure the kid knew how heavy it was and said all sales are final after it left his van.

i guess just watching the kid try to trancport the chain maille full lengh trench coat to his own car was the most comedic his face was so red and it kept slithering out of his hands and draging on the ground.

i just wonder what the kid did with it and is it just lying around on some floor somewhere.

the moral of the story is dont use galvy on a chain maille full length trench coat.
i do sugest that if you do embark on such a feat then at least make it out of aluminum that way it will only be around 50 pounds mabie.
plus aluminum works well as armor because it mushrooms with a hard enough blow
good luck

Submissions: 83

Posted on Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:53 am

300 pounds...
i'd be scared to put it in my car...
EDIT: do you nkow what size rings he used grace? /EDIT

Submissions: 7

Posted on Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:58 am

Welcome in Lore!

About that trench coat, are you sure about that being 300 lbs? I mean if the fellow who bought it was "a young kid" how did he even lift it?

This is GREAT!
Posted on Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:17 am

I have never been so blessed as to have such a friendly welcome!

The trench will be made of aluminum of course, though it'd need to be 8-1 or 12-1 to hold up to the strain of walking, methinks. A Galv steel would kickass if your interested in body building. Imagine walking around in a 300 pound trench coat whenever you leave the house. As long as you don't walk on ice, you're fine! lol. It'd be nasty if the person was into Kempo or something, take off that coat and you'd FLY. You'd need a belt though, on the inside, so that the weight would be taken off your shoulders. That'd break your collarbones! Smile

Would anyone have ideas on truly viable locations to sell such material? I mean the pouches or the hacky sacks. I've been using Ebay, but it costs me per listing, and i've already listed 4 out of 10 items that didn't sell. it's not a HUGE loss, and it's worth it, since it's only a buck american to list each item, and i make close to 20 american per item, at least. So it's alright, but i'd like to diversify.

My current supplier is a friendly guy named Kevin, he works out of Texas, and sells me a pound of galv steel rings [~1000] for 5 dollars american. Though the exchange rate is killing me [1.453 for the conversion], when i buy in quantities of 12 pounds [or 60 american/100 canadian], I get free shipping. At my rate, about a pound per day, i think i could order more then that, as it takes 2 weeks to get to me Wink

It's been great, I expect many fun-filled nights here, I love maille!

Blessed be
- Spider

Submissions: 57

Posted on Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:20 am

hey that is how the story was told to me i think the young kid was around 17 years old so no to young but young enough to buy a 300 lb coat i belive that 300 was the estimation that there scale toped out at 250 or so

and i think the ring size was 14 g galvy and the id was probably between 1/2 and 20/64 i guess i will ask him next time we talk.

i think walking around in a 300 lb trench would be trecherous any where rember my friend didnt even try towalk with it on owwwwwwwww i can imagine the maille burn you would recive if you fell and half of that weight fell on top of you. the question is could you even walk in it at all. have any of you ever given some one a piggy back ride and they got heavy really fast well imagine that only some one twice or 3 times as heavy

i am surprised you dont make your own rings

*groan*
Posted on Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:06 am

I've tried to make my own rings, i used a drill and a bolt. The rings weren't as good as those that i buy from my supplier. It's not that much cheaper to get them from Kev, and i save that much time...

It's worth my while to order the rings. If i make the money to build ring-cutter mechanics, i may leave that and buy wire by the 100 pound. But we shall see...

- Spider

Submissions: 7

Posted on Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:14 pm

Have you looked at the articles on <a href="http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/subcat.cgi?key=2">Construction</a>? You might be able to make one of those fairly cheaply, and as for cutting, most people use either metal shears or mini bolt-cutters. I'm not sure what your finances are, but I can get a three foot unthreaded metal rod from a nearby hardware store for less than five bucks, a pair of mini bolt cutters for about 20 and a couple pair of cheap pliers for less than 5 bucks each.

If you can get some scrap lumber you could make yourself a frame to hold the mandrel by just cutting som 2x4s into 2 pieces of about a foot or a foot and a half and one of about 2 feet. Then, screw (not nail) the two short pieces to the ends of the long piece. It's important to screw them onto the sides of the ends of the long piece rather than the tops of the ends. Then drill a hole on the center of the short boards about 2/3 of the way up. It's important to make these holes the same distance up and a little bit larger than the rod you bought.

You'll want to bend this rod into a crank to make it easier to use, leave about 6 to 9 inches on the end for a grip, then bend it in a right angle for another 9 inches or so, then back straight again. Then put it in the frame and mark a place about an inch in or so. Drill a hole throgh the rod crosswise here to put the wire in to brace it while you're winding. By putting the drill on the opposite end of the crank you can use that for winding. This way you get a lot longer coil. The straight rod is also easier to get a coil off of than a threaded rod.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1