Armour to protect against Sword & Gun simultaneously?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 74

Posted on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:58 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

i'd have seriose doughts about that with out seeing any images or video. in the past i've shot up a few section of maill. the constant result is that the maille dose not hold a candle to the destructive force of a projectile.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 7

Posted on Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:19 pm

Has anyone considered twisted titanium wire with as dense a weave as possible like E8-12 in 1, but still wearable? This would give heavyer gauge and you could use plate armor or kevlar as a backer. You'd have to keep it taught as was said before and i believe it would stop most anything.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:47 pm

LordVladekk wrote:
This would give heavyer gauge and you could use plate armor or kevlar as a backer.

In that case, the plate armor or kevlar is the protective armor, not the maille. Heck, if your gonna use kevlar anyways, it doesn't really matter what weave the maille is.

Posted on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:23 pm

but wouldnt it be better if it was heavyer if say a 22 is flyin at you youd want as many rings to catch the bullet to absorb as much force as possible so the kevlar can absorb the bullet and the resulting shrapnal? i think the mail would best serve you if it was on top.

Posted on Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:26 am

LordVladekk wrote:
youd want as many rings to catch the bullet to absorb as much force as possible so the kevlar can absorb the bullet and the resulting shrapnal?

Bullet + rings = shrapnel. If the kevlar can stop the 22 by itself, I don't see how adding additional shrapnel (rings) will help anything.

Posted on Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:31 am

yes but the 22 can go through the kevlar by its self its too small to stop hense the thick heavy chainmail to distribute the force and at the very least slow it so the kevlar can do the rest. with a heavyer calliber the kevlar alone would b ok but id be most conserned with low caliber bullets and armor peirceing rounds and if im being shot at with those then id b running away or for cover

Posted on Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:28 am

LordVladekk wrote:
yes but the 22 can go through the kevlar by its self its too small to stop

That doesn't make any sense. Kevlar is used to make bullet-proof vests. What good would a bullet-proof vest be if it couldn't stop small arms fire?

Posted on Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:35 am

the kevlar is designed to distrubute the force of a bullet over the whole vest but with a small calliber bullet like a 22 itll go right through because the bullet has to little surface area for the vest to b affective. u get hit with a 45 or a .762 and yeah ull probly b ok except mabey some brusing or broken bones but those bullets are big enough for the vest to be efective. if u look farther back ull see other and better explainations than this one. thus the mail if haevy enough would b as close to cut proof as possible and help make it bullet proof against some rounds. i havnt heard of anything except dragon skin that is armor pieceing round proof. there is a link to the dragon skin vidio earlier in the discussion.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:40 pm

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FROM M.A.I.L.
It is our position that chainmaille DOES NOT stop bullets! Any statements to the contrary are not endorsed by M.A.I.L. Any experiments testing this theory are not suggested, implied, or encouraged by M.A.I.L. Any instances of injury or death resulting from such experiments are not the responsibility of M.A.I.L.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:34 pm

I'll admit that my knowledge of firearms is limited, but I have done some research on the matter. Everything I have found suggests that a 22 defeating a kevlar vest is a myth. Unless you can come up with some credible sources to defend your view, I'm not going to be inclined to believe it. Sorry.

Regardless, even if what you say were true, how would a sheet of maille be any better to use than a solid sheet of metal?

Posted on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:12 am

earlier in the discution there were some sorces i think u can check there i guess. as far as y mail would b better is that ud have a bit more mobility in mail than in plate armor.

Posted on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:53 am

Eh, I'm too lazy to search this entire thread for sources that may or may not be there. If you have ready links to the sources, or the posts that give sources, I'll read them. Otherwise, I don't really care enough to put forth that effort. Sorry about that.

You earlier suggested "twisted titanium wire with as dense a weave as possible like E8-12 in 1" kept taut. I don't see that being any more mobile than plate. In addition, the labor costs to produce such a piece would be exponentially higher than simple plate, making it highly unfeasible to produce such an item.

Posted on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:50 pm

it doesnt need 2 b so taught as to limit mobility too much just enough to b able to get all the rings in the area of impact involved. yes it would b expencive but so is armor quality plate metal and the only plate armor that wouldnt b punched through with the bullet would have 2 be at least a couple inches thick and angled as to try to deplect the bullet but then ud have the weight problem. if u made the armor out of plate titanium then ud be dealing with the cost problem. and id have doubts that the armor would have enough ability 2 slow or break the bullet so the kevlar could then stop the rest of the bullet. id go with mail because when a bullet would hit it it would get all the rings in the area involved and contributing their strength to slowing the bullet but with plate ud only get the metal at the point of impact trying to stop or slow the bullet and i dont think that that would be enought risistance.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:24 am

ChaosSeraphim wrote:
about the only thing that would do what you want (if it contained maille)
a shirt made of your weave of choice attached to MANY LARGE 6-10 in thick hardened steel plates. steel that thick will stop most bullets fired from VERY high velocity rifles.

but please, don't try anything in this thread. remember Icarus though he was a genius, till he went splat.

To clarify, 6-10 inches of hardened steel is FAR more than is needed to stop any bullet.
That much steel would stop a lot of artillery rounds.
(The Sherman tank's 75mm cannon couldn't pentrate a Panther tank's frontal armour, which was 4 inches thick.)
If the steel is properly hardened, 1/2 inch will easialy stop a .50 BMG, the heaviest rifle round in the world.

To the OP, modern military grade hard body armour (like Interceptor or Dragonskin) would give good protection from swords, and a level of protection from most bullets.
This armour uses advanced ceramic plates, rather than kevlar.

(Kevlar vests only protect from pistols, which is why cops use them.)

Posted on Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:26 pm

lorraine wrote:
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FROM M.A.I.L.
It is our position that chainmaille DOES NOT stop bullets! Any statements to the contrary are not endorsed by M.A.I.L. Any experiments testing this theory are not suggested, implied, or encouraged by M.A.I.L. Any instances of injury or death resulting from such experiments are not the responsibility of M.A.I.L.

Is this not implied?

Jump to:  
Page 7 of 8. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next