Unpassable submissions
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 62

Unpassable submissions
Posted on Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:21 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

There are a few users that have MANY submissions, and a lot ofthem dont have sufficient information. One user, I sent them a message saying were getting rid of them and they can resubmit because its so much clutter.
Did I overstep my bounds (I havent deleted the subs yet.)

and this is become a big problem. After 2 or 3 or 4 weeks can we jsut delete the submissions? (with sending them a PM of course)

~Alex

EDIT: Possible solution, add check boxes ont he gallery submissions page with each of the required things so people remember?

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:17 pm

It is definitely nice to have as many stats listed in the gallery pics as possible (even with the weave submissions), presenting a check list of the necessary information is a good idea.

As for overstepping bounds, it doesn't sound like it, but we've never put a limit on the # of subs in one's gallery. As long as the 'weeding out' was on sparse info, it shouldn't be too much of a problem?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Submissions: 93

Posted on Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:15 pm

Agreed. If we've being flooded with snarky submissions, we shouldn't have to fix it ourselves.

Also, if folks don't care enough about their submissions to respond within a month, I say we ditch their submissions too...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 77

Posted on Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:11 pm

Extending on the checkbox idea, reconfigure the submission page (I know you hate recoding but I have enough programming experience to guess this wouldn't be too hard) to have boxes for each requirement instead of just "about the piece". This way they have to fill it out, because all fields are required. Then just have the next page assemble the boxes accordingly. Come on, you can do it!

Posted on Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:34 am

I dont know Tess. it might be a bit restricting on some morecreative people haha.
It would be nice and uniform. But what of the rest of the submitted gallery? A lot of us would have to go change things.

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 30

Posted on Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:54 pm || Last edited by CyberKender on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

There have been a lot of people submitting stuff without all of the required information lately. I wouldn't say they've been snarky, tho. Seeress Becca of Kell comes to mind. She made two big drops of stuff, most of which was missing a little info. I've sent her PMs and put them in the 'problem' post, but haven't gotten a reply.

Check boxes isn't a bad idea, but perhaps not enough. Making the submissions page have entry fields for each required bit of information, and a check to report if one is left empty. The only problem would be things like Becca's submission of twisted-wire and bead necklaces. There isn't an ID involved, really, so she would have needed to put in N/A, or something, in the box.
This would be a lot of work for the coders, but are they willing to try?

CyberKender Esquire
RenMerc and Rogue Journeyman Bodice-ripper
Punslinger-at-Large Fnord! The Brass Kender
Brute Squad, Stealth Division
Apparently Appointed Mayor of There
Enough to make a grown man cry.

Submissions: 77

Posted on Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:13 am

unless the page is configured in some really unusual way (like maybe the pages are so deeply rooted in their foundations that changing anything requires an overhaul - bad foresight problem) then it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. It's just the gallery submit page, and old approved submissions don't need to be changed - they had what we wanted.

Posted on Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:35 am

we really need to think about these ideas cause more andmore subs from some of the same people, and new ones, are unpassable.

We really need to find some coders to lighten Blaise and others duty.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:43 am

hockywierdo55 wrote:
We really need to find some coders to lighten Blaise and others duty.

And to improve processes. I think if we invested some coder time into streamlining processes, we'd end up with less coder time needed in the end.

Also, we need admins that don't dissapear for 5-months at a time Smile In other news, I'm back for a little while, I'll see if I can pick up on managing any of the projects that I've abandoned.

Submissions: 27

Posted on Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:57 pm

Sorry people - I really need to mention when I'm busy....

So here goes - I'm very busy at the moment with work, dancing, planning, life, etc. I do drop in when I can, and things look like they're going well here.

*will try and make an effort to do more adminny work*

21 - here I come! My birthday is next month, and family are planning a big party for me - which I have to help with!

Raz

Time is your enemy,
Time is your friend,
Time is the mystery,
Time is the end.

We are the Queen of Typographical Errors! You must all bow to Our Ineptitude!

"How the hell is a person supposed to take over a plane with a pair of pliers? *grabs pilot and holds pliers to neck* 'Take the plane to wherever I say or I pinch the pilot, I MEAN IT!!'"

Posted on Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:05 am

I think we have most of the Admin things under control, atleast in the gallery. CyberKebder and I are doing the best we can, even with all these unpassable subs. Raz not being around as often isnt taking as big a hit on passing things as in say, Weaves where questionable subs have/had created some build up and Tesserex needs a 2nd opinion.

Articles i dont think are a big problem cause we dont get too many.

Our coders now do their best and do it quite well, but without someone helping them I dont think we can put some good ideas into motion.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:56 am

Razoxane wrote:
Sorry people - I really need to mention when I'm busy....

*will try and make an effort to do more adminny work*

Hey, I wasn't taking shots at anyone 'cept myself. Just making light of how 3 or 4 days after I became an admin, I moved to California and dropped off the face of the planet for 5 months.

Really, everyone does a good job, as taxed as you all are.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:17 pm

why not mention "coders" under the help wanted link that does nothing and goes nowhere currently?

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 30

Posted on Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:59 pm

Asking for PHP coders in Help Wanted spaces sounds good to me.

On another note, I have an idea to help people recognize that their submissions need additional information, without us having to send messages everywhere: Instead of merely adding to Blaise's post in the Information Needed thread, how about copying the contents of it, and creating a new post, adding the new submissions that need information, posting the new message, and then deleting the previous one? Thus, we still have just one post for people to look through, but it will still pop up in their new messages listing every time we add something.

CyberKender Esquire
RenMerc and Rogue Journeyman Bodice-ripper
Punslinger-at-Large Fnord! The Brass Kender
Brute Squad, Stealth Division
Apparently Appointed Mayor of There
Enough to make a grown man cry.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:13 pm

Hmm, you could use the [Quote] function* to keep the older items without a lot of retyping or copy/paste effort. Then when any item reaches the -insert number here- level of quotes or -insert age- of post without action by the submitter it gets removed from the queue.

Automatic indexing. I like automation! Very Happy

* Does using the [Quote] function require that the post quoted remain in the database? That would rather negate the intent of CK?s suggestion.

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next