CafePress to be offering books
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Fund Raising

Submissions: 14

CafePress to be offering books
Posted on Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:49 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

CafePress is going to be offering Print-on-Demand books to its product line.

My idea is that we could take the patterns, weave tutorials and other articles and produce a "howto guide" - since CafePress will be offering ISBNs, the books could be sold on Amazon, which coould bolster the M.A.I.L. coffers from outside our community and provide a form of advertising the website to a larger audience...

Anyhow, brainstorms anyone?

Submissions: 93

Posted on Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:01 pm

This is a very cool idea!

My only concern is how many pages we're talking about here. I publish a 16 page, bimonthly newsletter that takes over 100 man-hours to churn out. I wouldn't want to even think how much goes into a 100 page book!

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Posted on Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:23 pm

No probs - all the hard work has been done already Laughing

Seriously, the hard part is the writing and editing of articles, and there's a pretty hefty base of material here to work from, with more being added almost daily.

Collating it and distilling it in to pdf won't take nearly as much effort.

Submissions: 93

Posted on Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:46 pm

True enough. In a previous fundraising thread, I had suggested something similar, only a newsletter we could sell subscriptions to, rather than a book.

How about combining the two? we do a newsletter, and then combine all the newsletters into a book at the end of each year. We could call it a Journal that way. AND, you get the proceeds from the subscriptions as well as the proceeds from the book.

The beauty is that there would be no new formatting required AT ALL for the book. One job, two sources of income...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:59 pm

Well that is kewl

the newsletters would not sell i think . poeple will more then likey just buy the book at the end of the year any way if thay know it is a corilation of the newsletters? but if they were made different then thay wouuld have no choce if thay whanted the info. and that would but you back to square one. (Two things to make, track, and time consuming)

Xander

how meny times must i ask my self why
how meny times must i try

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:18 pm

MX is right, newsletters alone prolly wouldn't sell...BUT, there's the option of offering incentives for donations. Like for a $10 donation, they get the newsletter...$20 newletter and a sticker, $30 newsletter, sticker, tee...something like that. I've done this before, and it seems to work fairly well...especially if the group already has a following (which this one does Wink )..Stickers can be printed from your computer, I've made many...heck you could even do the iron transfers for the tees, and get the packaged tees at walmart or something. Just some suggestions... I'm poor so I can't help with funds...but I can volunteer some help if y'all need? ^_^

"I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive." -Albert Einstein
Raven's nest: http://www.ravenrings.com
FiRe Dance: http://www.seraphinafire.com

Posted on Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:29 am

Armoured_Raven wrote:
Stickers can be printed from your computer, I've made many...heck you could even do the iron transfers for the tees, and get the packaged tees at walmart or something. Just some suggestions... I'm poor so I can't help with funds...but I can volunteer some help if y'all need? ^_^

Have a quick peek at the M.A.I.L. Gift Shop @ http://www.cafeshops.com/mailartisans,maille2 -=- We could certainly make use of your artistic talents Smile

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:10 am

I read this and gave it some thought i might be able to do some of the work just let me know what and when

Submissions: 50

Posted on Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:26 am

cohort wrote:

Have a quick peek at the M.A.I.L. Gift Shop @ http://www.cafeshops.com/mailartisans,maille2 -=- We could certainly make use of your artistic talents Smile

Hmmm. I think I might be able to do something here...are you just looking for a nifty graphic for these tees? And do you have an idea of what kind of graphic? Or just maile themed?

"I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive." -Albert Einstein
Raven's nest: http://www.ravenrings.com
FiRe Dance: http://www.seraphinafire.com

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1