Phong th4 m4st4...
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 4

Phong th4 m4st4...
Posted on Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:53 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Phong,

Just wanted to thank you for being so prolific, lately. I'm impressed by the amount of articles and new weaves you've shared with the community.

You (and Grace too!) have been great.

Thank you for your time and hard, but very pleasant, I'm sure, work.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:42 pm

several others have been posting new weavs too.. but none are appearing in the weaves section

Submissions: 26

Posted on Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:00 pm

Why thank you Very Happy
I'm pretty lucky that I have time to make the tuts, a great program to do them up with, and a large database of pics to try and figure out how the weaves go together.
I'd probably be getting even more carried away with stuff if there weren't already so many great tuts out there. I think the whole community deserves a round of applause for everything they've done, as much as one or two people's contributions. Smile

-phong

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:28 pm

hockywierdo55. Phong. Aderamelech.

I would like to add these names to the THX f you you don't mind of corse. good work lads. and keep them comin' (please less work for me..lol)

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:43 pm

My thanx of course extend to all who participate in any way to the community! Very Happy Go us!

I just meant to voice my being particularly impressed by them.

Submissions: 19

Posted on Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:31 pm

I have a question about submitting articles. Can the pictures be from your personal files? what I mean is, If I submit my pictures to the board from my personal computor, do the Admins see it/them?

BTW, on gallery submissions to TRL, what does "Admin" mean?

http://chainmaillebookproject.ninjatails.com/index.php --Please contribute! Existing members, put this in your signature to increase publicity!

Submissions: 30

Posted on Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:50 pm

That depends on what you mean by submitting them... If you place the file path in an image link (which you've done in earlier forum posts), that won't work for anybody but you, because the images still reside on your local computer only, and all you've put online is where it's located on your local computer. You're the only one with access to what resides on your own machine.

If, however, you use the submission system in the Gallery section, and wait for your images to go up there, THEN you can link to them in forum posts and articles.

Also, this is not TRL. This is an entirely separate forum. I think questions about how the TRL systems work would be better asked on the TRL forums, not the Maille Artisans forums.

- Mike Powell
Spirit of Iron custom chainmail

Submissions: 26

Posted on Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:56 am

Well, I've submitted a few articles, so I can confidently answer.

When you submit an article to MAIL, you type in the text of the article, and where you want images to appear you put [picturefile.jpg] or whatever the name/extension is for your picture.
Then you click Preview, and it takes you to the upload picture page (if you told it you want to upload pictures) You browse to where on your computer the picture files are that you want to upload, and click preview.
You should then see how the article will look (presuming you didn't mess up any code), including all text and images. Click Submit and it tells you the article has been submitted and will be approved by an admin. The admin usually (I believe) checks the article for grammar, spelling and general readability, and makes sure all pictures show up.
After a day or two, you should see your article in the New Articles section. And brag to all your friends that you wrote a kick butt article. Coif Smiley

As for the Gallery on TRL, the archive is a place where they put all (or at least most) of the pictures that have been submitted. Since all content submitted on TRL remains the property of the submitter, TRL can't do whatever they want with the pictures. So in the Archive, if third parties want to use the pictures for their own use, they need to ask the original submitter. If no one knows who the original submitter is, or if the submitter hasn't yet come forth to claim their work, the Admin has default control. That means that you're SOL if you want to use the picture for something other than your own viewing pleasure.
(And yes, it would have been more appropriate to ask this on TRL)

-phong

Posted on Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:21 pm

Let me clarifly this. I posted this a long time ago, when I was still new to the buissness of subbmitting this. BTW, I got the TRL gallery and this gallery mixed up. sorry. Oh, and I must give phong kudos for these excellent articles. I think grace produces many cool weaves, BUT, there are no tut's. If grace would do this it would be GREATLY appreciated!( I tend not to like disecting images Smile

http://chainmaillebookproject.ninjatails.com/index.php --Please contribute! Existing members, put this in your signature to increase publicity!

Submissions: 45

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:22 am

I suppose it's worth pointing out: it's not required for the creator of a weave to make the tutorial. Though if a person is interesting in making a tutorial for a weave he or she didn't create, I would definitly ask the maker first for permission, then have at it. Very Happy

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Submissions: 77

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:02 pm

Outside the realm of politeness, is there really any need to ask permission of the creator to make a tutorial? I think anyone can make a tutorial for any weave, as long as they don't claim credit for a weave that they didn't develop. If writing a tutorial for a weave legally required permission from the creator, so would using the weave in your maille.

An easy way to remember basic copyright law: You cannot copyright an idea, you can only copyright an expression of that idea.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:09 pm

Outside of politeness and consideration for somebody else? No, no reason at all. Very Happy

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Submissions: 93

Posted on Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:16 pm

I don't mind when someone writes a tutorial for one of 'my' weaves, but no one's ever asked me first, either.

I don't think it's particularly impolite, since I can always write my own...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Posted on Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:19 pm

Blaise, while you're on the topic of your tuts, the 2nd pic in the hoodoo tutorial is messed up.

Submissions: 30

Posted on Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:28 pm

In the future, it would probably be a good idea to start a new topic for a post like that, rather then going off topic in another thread like this. Smile

I just checked the Hoodoo tutorials, all three of them (Hoodoo chain, Hoodoo hex sheet and Hoodoo sheet). All the images in all of them look right to me. The first couple steps can be a bit confusing when using the mobius method that Blaise prefers, so I can understand if it seems wrong.

Course, maybe I'm missing something. Could you be a little more specific about what is wrong with it?

- Mike Powell
Spirit of Iron custom chainmail

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next