to all members of the board of directors
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 79

to all members of the board of directors
Posted on Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:51 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

are you getting burned out?

i remember a time when we'd discuss the running of this site. now, we get notice from lorenzo (finally) that he can't do the weaves job. we have drax saying something about needing to do something about it.. and hardly any response in here.

we have a header approved by member vote, awaiting a BOD vote for a couple months now, and no action here, only a volunteer who is frustrated that he's willing to do the work (as he's shown) and we won't even vote it into the next stage.. vote an approval so that he knows he's not wasting his time. "this layout is acceptable, here are the kinks to work out."

we had 6 votes cast seeing if criterion should become an admin. that's around half of our sort of regular admins. pretty low participation there.

i understand that people are busy. heck, i'm away a lot. but i just wantto make sure that the admins, mods, et cetera aren't getting burned out. if so, maybe we need to find other helpers. i'm not saying that anyone is not doing a good job, but i do think there are things that are being neglected, and perhaps bringing in some fresh blood will help things out here. read the "weaves admin" thread in the weaves forum. we have a pagelong list of people who want to help out. we need the help.. we don't even have the time to discuss that we need help.

i don't want MAIL to fall into decadence. yes, we have submissions coming in all the time. so many that it was a big deal when the gallery que was empty for 10 minutes. maybe we need another gallery helper so that raz and kylek don't get burned out? i dont know, but i know there's enough people around so that no one or two people have to work that hard.

i would be in favor of promoting some admins that don't have specific jobs, just general helpers.. or maybe people who want to participate in the discussion of things that the BOD should be discussing, like a weaves admin. there are trusted old hands around..

am i out of line? i know i've always been one of the most enthusiastic people here about this site (i feel it is important).. and i don't expect that everyone else, or anyone else be as enthusiastic as i am about MAIL. but there is a different atmosphere here in the admin forum than there used to be.

i talked to woody once about how it was weird that the admins were completely different people than those who created the site. he said something along the lines of, "that is the nature of things, poeple come and they help and then a time comes when they are doing other things."

i just don't want the people who worked so hard for this site to get burned out and leave like mari did.. that was unfortunate and, i believe, preventable if we knew what to look for... and maybe that thing was just a couple more coders.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:02 pm

I agree. I've been so busy IRL that I haven't been able to do much adminning. Basically I can log on, check the queue for articles submissions, maybe make a few comments in some smaller threads, and that's it. I've purposefully avoided long threads because they eat more time than I have available at the moment. That should change in about a week, when I'll be in VA at my new job, and can close the time-burning chapter of my lifein NY.

I knew there was some talk about changing the header, but I was expecting a post in this forum about further developments? I guess I fell prey to expecting somebody else to take care of it Sad . So what can we do to get the ball rolling on that one?

I'd like to hope that if anybody was starting to feel burnt-out, that they would speak up and take some time off. It's no big deal, I think it happens to everybody. But we do need warning, that's true. Again, I've had to little time, I haven't been able to log into the chat or talk with anybody, so I really have no idea how everybody's doing.

But now's a good time! I can say that I'm doing fine, except for the little time part (for now). Article submissions have been minimal, so it's not been hard to keep up on that. Although when I get time, I'll certainly turn more pro-active about asking members to write up information -- I've certainly been neglecting that area.

How's everybody else doing?

Posted on Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:23 pm

Yikes, well after reading more of the board... well, all I can do is hang my head and say I'm sorry for not having kept current with everything.

I had an idea that might help. I know it's not the easiest thing to coordinate, but perhaps we could start holding weekly (or fortnightly) meetings for the BOD? It's going to be hard to get a time when we can all be present, especially with some members on the other side of the globe -- but we don't have to have *everybody* present. The idea would be to get enough people together to chat about what's been going on and what needs to be done. That way, we should be able to keep up on what polls/changes we need to be pushing forward.

Also, I mentioned in another thread, perhaps we can get a "bod(at)maille...." email established that will email the BOD (or will the admins one work?). Regardless, this email should be published somewhere with information so that people know to email that address for important matters (like polls and ideas that we need to take care of, especially if we aren't paying attention -- which we should be doing, but it'll be a good failsafe for the future).

Posted on Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:02 pm

well, appearantly aderamelech and cynake are about to drop a bomb on us in a couple weeks.. i read the conversation they've been having.. some good ideas in there. i dont agree with them all, but we might be able to use the "ad hoc comittee" option in the charter for the first time.

drax, that's how you feel about events around here recently, and you're one of the active admins. you, blaise, cohort, criterion, raz and kylek are the ones i see around a lot, and most of it is just barely keeping up with submissions. maybe the others are around, but we don't see them. i'm not tryin to rag on you guys.. i really appreciate you carrying the board for so long, but i think we need more people so that when some get busy, there's others for backup instead of the already busy ones scrambling to pick up the slack.

i would be happy to nominate people i felt fit the bill and have already volunteered to help out.

also: i remember a certain brainstorming session we had awhile ago about things we'd like to change. we should bring that up again after the proposal of ader&cynake is posted to us, as there is a lot of overlap.. but i may still have that conversation saved somewhere.

kim

Posted on Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:33 pm

Yeah, I wrote down the stuff that we brainstormed, and I have it around here somewhere. I'm also looking forward to hear what the guys have come up with.

Although we are still skirting around an issue... should we act upon the poll for the header change? The number of people participating in the poll was kind of small (as discussed), but we can still decide whether or not to 'take action'. Or should we just wait for the submission of new organization ideas?

Posted on Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:02 pm

i am torn.

on one hand it is pretty strongly voted for a header change.. myself, i like his header and would vote to instate it.

however, cynake says that there are things that their proposal would change about the header.. i could go either way.. i feel like we should do -something-, even if that thing is to decide to wait, as a group, until we see the proposal..

there is this, however. the proposal is made. discussion begins (hopefully one point at a time.. otherwise is chaos, as we've seen..) and how many months do we wait until it gets rolling, volunteers pop up and the system is changed.. or loses steam and -nothing- happens, as we've seen happen with the header, and the work is mostly finished!

i would change the header. then we can test run it for awhile (6 months) and then get feedback. this works, this does not work. then w can improve it when the proposal comes in.

thoughts?

kim

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:51 pm

I'm for changing the header (the mass of links somehow has just never seemed right to my eye), I'm just one of those, I guess, that feels the need for somebody to say "do this". I've not been in "the office" long enough to be comfy with initiating things I guess Smile. Blaise outlined what was to be done in the thread of topic http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=3603&start=45 so guess I'm just waiting for that to be acted on?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke

DarkSkye Designs

Submissions: 93

Posted on Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:13 am

Certainly, the majority of those that voted in that poll were in favor, so the only remaining question is whether 32 members is a significant enough portion of the membership to warrant the change.

Upon reflection, I'd say that those 32 votes probably *were* our most active membership, so I guess we should either do it on our own initiative or put it up to a general vote, per the charter. As the BOD, we can either choose to act directly, or take the vote to the full membership. I imagine that depends on how many of us agree with the proposal. If it looks like the directors are against it, we should put it to the general membership, otherwise, I say just do it.

Let's make this thread an informal poll on the matter. Though I've opposed the new header from the first, I've come to realize that we risk alienating a large group of our most active members if we do not make the change. Certainly, if I were 13th warrior, Cyanake or one of several others, I'd be very mad at me right now for having dragged my feet on this (In my defense, I really *haven't* had any time for it) after all that hard work.

So I say we make the executive decision to just get it done, and don't bother with the general vote.

If anyone's against it, would they like to take on the responsibility of wording a general membership vote in a completely unbiased manner, and posting it to the knitting circle? That's the final step, if we as a board still resist the change...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Posted on Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:36 pm

I'd definitely like to see the header updated. Very Happy

Submissions: 83

Posted on Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:35 pm

I think we can just go ahead and change the header as soon as someone has a chance. It seems clear that support for said change is, if not universal, at least strong enough to consitute support from a majority of the active, interested members.

Posted on Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:13 pm

i could be wrong about this, but i thought that the whole point of the BOD was so thast the membership didn't have to worry about little things like the header.. Smile

i know everyone has been busy, and i hope i don't sound like a pushypants. if the header is approved then we need to make a "newbie page" which i would be happy to take responsibility for early next week. i'll be back in touch daily on sunday until thursday morning and then i'll be around twice a week, or more.

kim

Posted on Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:33 am

I guess the point is that if anyone on the board had wanted to do it initially, it would just have been done. This is a "grass roots" movement, so it has to be handled via rules.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Posted on Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:08 am

well, i would like to do it. i was a part of that grassroots movement, i was just out when it all went down or i'd have brought it in here. i've read at least one other bod member say they'd like the header changed. by the rules, what needs to happen?

the whole point was that potential new members do not find our current header easy to figure out, and this drives them off. this is why i've been in support of the header change.. and, at the very least i feel we should have a new member page which explains the order of the site and points them in the direction of a couple of articles. explain how the search function works. i think this will give us a lot less of the new members asking questions that are already answered in the articles or in a previous thread.

i would still like to change the header, but if that is voted down then we should -=at least=- put up a newbie page.

kim

Posted on Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:39 pm

Note that earlier I said:

Quote:
Let's make this thread an informal poll on the matter.

By my count, you make 5, certainly a majority of the currently active directors.

Criterion, if you're up for this, I think a decision has been made here.

I'm swamped this week, but PM me, and we can work out some sort of schedule...

George Bernard Shaw

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:09 pm

All righty then. I guess it's pretty much me then eh? Ok, pm coming your way Blaise Smile.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke

DarkSkye Designs

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next