How often do you wear garb or maille in the mundane world
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

How often do you wear garb and/or maille in the mundane world?
Every day (or just about every day)
53%
 53%  [ 47 ]
A lot (five or more times a week)
13%
 13%  [ 12 ]
Often (three or more times a week)
10%
 10%  [ 9 ]
Some times (twice or less per week)
11%
 11%  [ 10 ]
Rarely
10%
 10%  [ 9 ]
Only on Halloween
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
I wouldn?t be caught dead wearing this stuff were someone might see me!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 88

Submissions: 8

How often do you wear garb or maille in the mundane world
Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:17 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I was just curious. How often (if ever) do you wear garb and/or maille out in the mundane world? Now I?m not talking about wearing a full eleventh century outfit with hauberk and coif... Individual elements count. Perhaps on occasion you were a spiral wrap choker. That counts. Or if you have woven your bracers permanently to your wrists. That definitely counts. Have you ever worn your peasant shirt to work? (Other than when working at the ren-fair?) That sort of thing.

My usual weekday gear includes a Byzantine chain in place of the regular chain on my Medic-Alert bracelet, either my Medieval Medicine Pouch or my Half Persian/Full Persian with a touch of Byzantine work ID holder, and of course my trizantine key chain.

On the weekend I add a belt pouch of the expanding circle variety that?s usually filled (as much as I can afford) with Sacagawea Dollars so I can pay for things at the yard sales and flea markets I?m addicted to with ?gold coin? from a chainmaille pouch. I?ll also have along one of my staffs, either my six foot hickory almost quarterstaff or one of my shorter walking sticks. Few people seem to notice the shorter walking sticks but the hickory staff gets lots of comments. Usually along the lines of ?Are you going to part the Red Sea?? or something about ?walking softly and carrying one of those.? So far only one person has mentioned Gandalf and I?ve used this staff since spring.

As for garb, just yesterday I bought a very nice poet/pirate shirt, sleeveless gherkin, and a proper belt from Cloak and Dagger of Littleton Mass. at the artists? open house that was held this weekend at the converted cider mill where they have studio space. I haven?t worn that anywhere yet and I?m trying to figure out if any but the shirt would be appropriate outside of a ren-fair or Halloween.

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Submissions: 6

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:40 am

i have a spiral 4-1 necklace that is now a fixture in my multitude of necklaces, a wallet chain of byzantine rosettes that i wear once in a great while (whenever i can find it), and the only peice that i wear 24/7 is a permaweaved HP 4-1 bracelet, on my right wrist. i tried perma-weaving my euro 6-1 semi-bracer (only 13 rows thick Sad ) onto my left wrist the other night, but it took me 40 minutes to get 4 rings into it...i gave up...

latas

You are but a figment of your imagination in a poor attempt to amuse yourself.

"Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. In fact, put those lungs down too. The organ bank is not a playground"

Chain armour + Bullets = Hot Knife + butter

Proud supporter of Ninja's!

Submissions: 62

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:41 am

always have some random bracelet.

trying to peddle stuff everyonce and a while too

ive tried wearing some armor but got in trouble.. (guantlets, bracers..)

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:55 am

Are you guys trying to tell me that you don't wear you hauberks out everyday?

Submissions: 62

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:26 am

i dont even have one that fits me anymore.. mine from alst halloween barely fits.. but my coif fits.. but its kinda blatantly obvious

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:02 am

Hey all,

I wear my Spiral 4 in 1 necklace. My Spiral and Byzantine watch chain. My Full Persian key fob. And my European 6 in 1 finger ring. At least....until I lost it the other day....

Peace,

Matt

'Tis true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.
If I could reach from pole to pole
Or grasp the ocean with a span,
I would be measured by the soul;
The mind's the standard of the man.
- Joseph Carey Merrick, "The Elephant Man"

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:17 am

My backpack has hp3-1 sheet 6 parrelelograms, byzantine loop, and a length of full persian attached to the zippers. working on covering the straps with maille too. Also gonna drape a web over the whole thing.

I don't wear any maille jewelry really, will when I get something besides galvy.

I like to wear my haubergeon and coif to school every once in a while, have done that once this year. Gets alot of attention, and its really funny when girls want to try on a a maille shirt made for someone a foot wider and a foot taller, and they can barely lift the shirt above their heads.

Its about time to wear the maille to school again, but I gotta tweak the neckhole on my shirt and to do that I need some new pliers.

Vlad

"The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God"
Psalm 14:1

"Evolution is unproved and unprovable. We believe it only because the only alternative is special creation, and that is unthinkable."
Sir Arthur Keith

"You might be a liberal if you don't trust honest Americans with automatic weapons, but you do trust the government with them."

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing, those who count the votes decide everything."
Stalin

Some of my items are for sale on www.maillemarket.com , thank you.

Submissions: 17

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:47 am

every day i wear my euro 6-1 bracer, fp bracelet, and turk roundmaille wallet chain. i also wear my sca belt whenever i wear pants with belt loops. its really funky, and gets quite a few comments.... i have some nice lapidry work on it (i think thats what you call it.. engraving into leather).

you all laugh cuz im different. i laugh cuz your all the same
the ostrich is a freakish reminder that satan is alive and well and wants harm to come to us

Submissions: 28

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:51 pm

i only occationally wear my garb. mostly in the summer cause of the ren faire. but i wore some at my wife's bridal shower (before we were married) cause it was medieval themed. then sometimes when i'm feelling sad, i run around the house with Sting. nothing lifts the spirits like running with big pointy objects. Coif LoL other than that i do have a euro 4in1 bracelet that i wear from time to time.

Arthur: Let's go somewhere.
Trillian: Where'd you have in mind?
Ford: I know this great restaurant at the end of the universe

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Submissions: 37

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:17 pm

I wear my e6-1 and hp3-1 6 thumb rings, my belt and one of my necklaces/chokers every day.

Here comes the water......

Submissions: 30

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:05 pm

I occasionally wear one of my faire hats around. They're leather bonnets are are good for keeping my head warm. I have worn my Sodhopper boots to work, and my cloak is part of my normal cold-weather gear. I don't consider it 'garb', but I will wear my Utilikilt whenever opportunity presents itself.

As for maille, I wear my Elfsheet bracelet every now and then. My wife's wedding gift to me was a quality pocket watch. It came with a curb-chain chain that I have decided to replace with a longer one of stainless, in, perhaps, HP4in1 or Byzantine. I was thinking a little japanese weave cube could make a good watch fob, but I'm not sure about a fob with corners being a good idea.

HerrBGone: Can you tell me more about this 'sleeveless gherken'? Don't pickles usually lack sleeves? How do you wear it? ;>

CyberKender Esquire
RenMerc and Rogue Journeyman Bodice-ripper
Punslinger-at-Large Fnord! The Brass Kender
Brute Squad, Stealth Division
Apparently Appointed Mayor of There
Enough to make a grown man cry.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:33 pm

Surprised Sorry. Embaressed It had been a long day and thus I was blindly following Words spell checker. That should have been ?jerkin? of course, and it?s blue not green. AAAAaaaaa??..

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:08 pm

Watcher4187 wrote:
Are you guys trying to tell me that you don't wear you hauberks out everyday?

I know, talk about a bunch of posers. Rolling Eyes

Coif LoL

Submissions: 32

Posted on Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:46 pm

really depends on what 'mundane' people consider to be garb, but its all mostly normal clothing to me... but I guess anything that went out of mainstream fashion more than two or three decades ago looks a bit out of place on the street and could be 'garb', or any modern outfit or uniform of a profession worn by someone not of that profession - though I'm not sure what the dictionary definition is.

I have a couple old swiss army jackets with maille epolets (sp? those shoulder board things), and a roundmaille wallet chain that I wear once in a while. a few pairs of old militery riding breaches which I wear quite a lot.. one pair is really cool cause it has a cargo pocket. paned wool stalkings, which were one of the stalking/hose type things worn before knitted stalkings were common in the 16th century. I have a couple frock coats from the 1880's and 1890's that I wear once in a while. and a couple wool cloaks that I sometimes wear if it's raining or cold.

a related sort of question would be why do people wear garb type stuff?

I think my maille epolets made partially out of bike chain parts just look kind of cool, and I really like the cut and general shape of the jacket they are on. the other swiss army jacket I have is from the 1940's and is a bit like a grey double breasted pea coat, but with cuffs that are folded back so they can be rolled down to cover my hands in the winter and still let me carry stuff.

the old frock coats - I just think they're kind of interesting, they're so old that I prolly shouldn't be wearing them, and everytime I do I hope it doesn't rain cause water might damage them.

breaches - I was curious about the functionality of them. knee length breaches were very popular for several centuries, but now similar things are only worn for equestrian sort of stuff, or sometimes (rarely today) as part of a uniform... hmm, I've seen modern sport fencers wear them too. the pair I have with a cargo pocket are from the 1960's, and I think they're german or dutch - some kind of militery or police uniform for riding (motorcycle or horse). I've found they are very comfortable and would rather wear breaches than normal pants.. also great for bicycling, which I do a lot of.

paned stalkings - these are stalkings or hose made from sheets of fabric cut on the bias. I made a pair of this type of hose for my 16th century german reenactment kit and liked them so much I made a pair to wear with my more mundane breaches to see if they'd work better than knitted socks, which don't like to stay up. they stay up a lot better, I think because they are slightly less flexable so it takes less to keep them up. the feet on them are shaped like feet, even more so than with normal socks that have a heel.. so there is no material being stretched over the heel or wrinkling up on top of the ankle.. material not being pulled in strange ways in those areas might also help them stay up better. worst problem with them is that the soles wear out once in a while and need to be replaced.. next time I resole them I'll also add a thin leather sole to the bottom and see if that makes them last longer.

cloaks... well, they're warm and keep the rain off pretty good.. but I don't really find them too be quite functional enough.. hard to wear a backpack and have a cloak still be usefull, unless you wear the cloak over the pack - but that just looks really strange and is not very comfortable. a shoulder bag works better, but if you have much in it then theres a strange unsightly bulge under the cloak, can sort of wear one over a cloak, but then stuff in the bag might get wet if it's raining. I have a nice rain jacket that I could wear instead, so I guess I just wear a cloak once in a while when I feel like being a wierdo.

Submissions: 44

Posted on Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:05 am

I wear maille jewelry on occasion, and I have a bit of HP 3in1 attached to my purse. I'd like to wear something a bit more unusual out sometime, but I haven't the piece nor the courage Laughing

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 4. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next