Tesserex's Cleaning article
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 45

Posted on Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:45 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Workshop Warlock wrote:
Another thing to consider - before 1985, pennies were 95% copper and 5% zinc, and homogeneous. After 1985, pennies were 97.5% zinc, and 2.5% copper - all the zinc inside and all the copper outside.

I recently did some cleaning of pennies with HCl -- the ones post 1985 cleaned up more readily and became more shiny. But it's hard to tell if that happened simply because they were newer...

Btw, Tesserex, i misspoke sort of about the specific gravity of HCl... it has to do w/ its relative density to water. In any case, to figure out the molarity, you're supposed to multiply the gram amount by the specific density (370g x 1.18 = 440g), that's how you get to 12M (according to an analytical chem book, hehe).

Submissions: 93

Re: Tesserex's Cleaning article
Posted on Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:47 pm

Workshop Warlock wrote:
Quizad Saderack wrote:
Hi peepz,

Ohmygawd, I've been called a "peep".

[/quote]

MMMMM.... Peeps! I love peeps. They're my favorite Easter snack!

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 77

Posted on Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:58 am

I saw a news thing about a guy who eats like 1500 every spring. Thats one every five minutes for 10 hours a day.

Submissions: 21

Posted on Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:32 pm

Tesserex wrote:
The reason cola works is phosphoric acid. Ever seen mythbusters? They did some scary tests. It cleaned blood and chrome.

I take it that you never saw Red Asphault II in Driver's Ed? There's a guy who just got in an accident and busted his head open all over the asphault. The medics are scooping his brains off the ground, when the Highway Patrolman goes back to his car to get some gloves for himself. When he opens the trunk, a 2-litre bottle of Coca-Cola is in there.

I asked my instructor why it was there. As it turns out, that's how they clean blood off of pavement on highway accidents.

Posted on Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:42 pm

Yea I heard about using cola to clean streets but wasnt sure if it was true. And no, I didn't see that video for some reason. I think we were supposed to but didn't get around to it.

Submissions: 30

Posted on Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:24 am

Odd cleaning agents....Taco Bell's fire sauce makes pennies bright and shiny pretty much overnight. It might work well on rings...And they nearly give you enough sauce each time you order. ;>

Posted on Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:24 am

[quote=Drax]Btw, Tesserex, i misspoke sort of about the specific gravity of HCl... it has to do w/ its relative density to water. In any case, to figure out the molarity, you're supposed to multiply the gram amount by the specific density (370g x 1.18 = 440g), that's how you get to 12M (according to an analytical chem book, hehe).[/quote]

The numbers you used here don't seem to apply at all. The 370 came from the idea of 37% if the ratio is HCl : Water. The 440 is if its 30% with the ratio meaning HCl : HCl + Water. Also, I don't see how your chem book could relate density to molarity. Molarity means number of moles (large number of particles) of a substance in one liter of water. I got 10.2 for the 370g in a liter because the molar weight of HCl is 36.5. So do 370 / 36.5 and you get 10.2M. For 440, which could mean 30%, I got 12M. I'm still unsure of what the percentages actually represent, but I'm positive about the molarity thing. I'm in a chemistry class right now in school. It's my best subject.

edit: I just saw something in my chem book, since we're studying acids and bases right now. 12M HCl has 438 grams per liter in it.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2