Square rings + Round rings
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Square rings + Round rings
Posted on Sat May 18, 2013 12:48 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello again, everyone!

I'm curious, has anyone tried to combine square rings and round rings into one weave? I was going to try to do so later today(or next week), since I got some beautiful sky blue square rings (16g 1/4) from TRL.

Let the discussion begin! Coif Cool Smiley

~Gin

Submissions: 17

Posted on Sat May 18, 2013 12:28 pm

By "square rings" you mean "round rings made of square wire"?
Or "square-shaped rings"?

Posted on Sat May 18, 2013 7:06 pm

My mistake, should have clarified. By that I mean round rings of square wire.

~Gin

Posted on Tue May 21, 2013 4:56 pm

short answer is yes, i mad a small pendent as a WIP to see how it would look, i think it turned out ok

Submissions: 150

Posted on Tue May 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Combination of circular-wire and noncircular wire rings is surely possible - either for different roles in a weave (e.g. when weaving Byzantine the one type for connectors, the other ones for cages), but also replaceable, e.g. in JPL with alternating the two wire shapes throughout the piece, maybe even in irregular patterns. But in this case be prepared for some experimenting with mandrel sizes and effective ring Aspect Ratios, as the space used up by a ring in the weave depends much more on ring interaction angles when noncircular wire is used, as if circular wire ones is worked with.

An example, that I checked out myself: JPL woven from interchangeably square and round used here 1.40*1.40mm coiled on 11/64" mandrel, but 1.60mm round on 4.5mm mandrel, to reach virtually the same ring behavior, and same weave bend radii, irrspective whether I used round only, square only, of different alternating ring patterns. If used in a Japanese weave, with mostly perpendicular situated rings, the weave behaviour would significantly differ at these differing inner ring diameters. Used in a weave with e.g. 45 degree ring interaction angles, the situation were much probably just the other way.

Note that this effect is even differently pronounced from wire type to wire type, or sometimes even inbetween batches of nominally the same type, as wire used for square-wire rings isn't as 'edgy' in reality as in theory, due to tumbling, and different milling/drawing of the wire. And so square wire is only more or less far apart from round wire in that regard.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1