weave study: devil's stitch
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 79

weave study: devil's stitch
Posted on Sun May 13, 2012 3:25 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Devil's Stitch

i'm over thinking i'm going to do one of these a month, however i'm not going to stop hosting these studies.

devils stitch has been a thorn in my side ever since i saw it. for years i couldn't see what was going on. recently, i've come to understand ways to reverse engineer some of the old weaves.

"This is three pictures of all three sides of this weave. I can't exactly describe it or tell you how I made it, but there are 6 different ring types of two metals, three gauges, and three IDs. I could try to help you if any one would like..." -from the entry.

i would guess the sizes are 14, 16, 18(17?). the sizes, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16.
i would guess, 18ga 3/16, 16ga 3/16, 16ga 1/4, 14ga 5/16
the 2 larger rings look to be the same gauge and ID, removing 1 of the 6 sizes. i haven't identified the 6th ring, but i suspect it is a repeat, like the large ring.

to me, it looks like he started with a 16ga 1/4 & 18ga 3/16 simple 2-1 chain. added the 14ga rings and added the remainder to keep things in place.

i'm leaving for a couple weeks, tomorrow morning. i'll only drop by for a brief moment to check on the theme for the contest. i wanted to start this thread before i left, as i intend to put some work on this while i'm gone.

if you figure this out before me: i will give you serious respect*

*serious respect has a cash value of one tenth of a penny

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 7

Posted on Sun May 13, 2012 3:51 pm

*lurk lurk*
His original tutorial.

All the ring sizes aren't labeled, but gives quite a bit of information on the base weave and potential construction. My current guess is it is This Is Not Flat used as a stabilizer for HP2:1.

I wonder if there are other less-ring-intensive methods of stabilizing HP2:1.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 N22.20 Pn Dcdjs Xg39w1 S07

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sun May 13, 2012 4:31 pm

we should update the weave description.. we.. i. i will update the weave description. nice find. i had no idea this existed.

i do not look forward to 16ga 5/32 anything.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1