annual contest idea
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu May 10, 2012 5:04 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Alright, now that everyone has had a few days to mull this over themselves, and the vast majority of discussion seems to be centered around whether there should be a prize, and who should be judging it... I'll toss in my thoughts on the initial premise:

I'm hesitant to make inventing or submitting weaves a prize... People already get a little crazy about what is or isn't a weave, and naming their new pet creation, etc... I don't think promoting some form of "official approval" for a weave creator is a good thing.

The other suggestion was of a new innovation, etc... However, is a great idea.

Other things we could see:
Tutorials for weaves that don't have any.
Quality gallery items for weaves that don't have any.
People forming a local Teaching Group.

etc

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 95

Posted on Thu May 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

I'm hesitant to make inventing or submitting weaves a prize... People already get a little crazy about what is or isn't a weave, and naming their new pet creation, etc... I don't think promoting some form of "official approval" for a weave creator is a good thing.

I completely agree. The inventing/submitting/naming of weaves tends to get very touchy with people and could easily lead to unwanted/unnecessary fussing over an already semi-volitle topic.

All the other ideas sound great, just not weaves.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Submissions: 11

Posted on Thu May 10, 2012 5:57 pm

I've been silent thus far because really, I don't see myself as very innovative (and I just realized the other day that I'm actually part of the BOD. Heh, yeah, space cadet here!) so I didn't figure that I'd have much to contribute in the way of entries anyway. I'd be more than happy to help judge. But then on the possible off chance that my tiny brain DID come up with an idea, I'd like to be able to recuse myself to compete as well.

On the subject of prizes: If one or the other (the annual or the theme competition) HAD to have a prize, I'd definitely prefer that it be the annual competition. That would make it more of a "big thing" and frankly I've never liked the idea of a tangible prize for the theme contests. However, if we decided not to do a prize for either, I'd be completely happy with that too.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Thu May 10, 2012 7:08 pm

I'd like to second Jax - but simply based on the fact that even BOD members are normal users of MAIL, pricipally with not a iota more rights, just more technical abilities due to the need to have them to fulfill their obligations. Excluding BOD member users would give them a DISadvantage over the rest of membership. So I'm for an open competition, with nothing more to win than a pat on the shoulder and/or a shield or so...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 79

Posted on Thu May 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Nárrína wrote:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:

I completely agree. The inventing/submitting/naming of weaves tends to get very touchy with people and could easily lead to unwanted/unnecessary fussing over an already semi-volitle topic.

All the other ideas sound great, just not weaves.

i agree with this sentiment. however, if a person develops a genuinely new family... not just a weave with a slightly different interaction.. i would consider that for the best new innovation.. new families are so very rare.

=====

it seems there is very little interest in real world prizes among both BOD and nonBOD members. perhaps we should move forward looking at this as if there will be no official real world prize from MAIL.

i believe that one year a theme contest winner received a gift from a member. mical sent someone a blacklight LED flashlight he had made. if a member wanted to gift the winner of the contest a prize, that would be between the member and the winner..

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

The other suggestion was of a new innovation, etc... However, is a great idea.

etc

how do we quantify forming a teaching group?

the others, tutorials, gallery images, articles... would the submitter have to submit to both MAIL and a contest? or, would this be a kudos for the most highly regarded site submission in its area?

so.. MM, DL and everyone else... i like the idea of recognizing exceptional submissions, just wondering how you envision it working.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Thu May 10, 2012 7:45 pm

sakredchao wrote:
how do we quantify forming a teaching group?

the others, tutorials, gallery images, articles... would the submitter have to submit to both MAIL and a contest? or, would this be a kudos for the most highly regarded site submission in its area?

For submissions, obviously they would be made during the timeline of the contest, with a note in the contest thread saying "I did this, and I wish it to be considered for the contest *link*" or some such.

As for quantifying forming a teaching group? I suspect a member actively conferring a skill or knowledge onto other members would count.
Sharing the "prize" between the teacher(s) and the student(s), naturally...

I should mention that teaching groups of the sort, in my mind, should be of a more... Offline... Variety...

Useful Links

Posted on Thu May 10, 2012 9:59 pm

one of the rules i was hoping to do away with for the "best innovation" idea was that it had to be made during the time frame of the contest..

the idea is either new to the maille community or it is not. if someone has been sitting on something for a decade.. some brilliant tool, for example.. and they didn't think to share it cause, "who wants to see that thing?" and then it comes to light and changes all of our lives.. i feel it is a valid entry.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 6:42 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

I really like these ideas, and hope they get incorporated somehow.

Because the scope of this contest is much longer than the other contests, I feel like the 'goal' should be bigger. I know I enjoy the contests because it forces some creativity out of me. For a larger scale project, I'd want to see something that gave back to the community, rather than just the people participating in the contest. If these kinds of things can be encouraged somehow, I'm all for it.

Submissions: 36

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 3:48 pm

sakredchao wrote:
one of the rules i was hoping to do away with for the "best innovation" idea was that it had to be made during the time frame of the contest..

the idea is either new to the maille community or it is not. if someone has been sitting on something for a decade.. some brilliant tool, for example.. and they didn't think to share it cause, "who wants to see that thing?" and then it comes to light and changes all of our lives.. i feel it is a valid entry.

So what you are saying is as long is as it is newly presented to the community, no matter when it was created, it would count as a "new innovation." If this is what you are saying I would agree and I like the idea.

I also like DL's list of things and would like to add;
articles that advance the understanding of a concept, family, history...

In order to help people better understand the art.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 4:00 pm

MusicMan wrote:

So what you are saying is as long is as it is newly presented to the community, no matter when it was created, it would count as a "new innovation." If this is what you are saying I would agree and I like the idea.

you got it!

to me, it sounds like we are discussing multiple categories in a "best of" group of awards. even if this wasn't the intent, this is what it looks like. multiple annual awards work for me...

is there any specific reason that all submissions in a category shouldn't be considered? is there a reason we should limit it to intentional submissions?

as a thought.. what if the award offered the option of both a forum kudo, and a "winner of the MAIL 2044 best tutorial award" graphic that would go on a website? i can see that there might be some issues with something like this, but i could also see it being a greater incentive for wider participation than a strictly forum-based award.

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 5:16 pm

sakredchao wrote:
as a thought.. what if the award offered the option of both a forum kudo, and a "winner of the MAIL 2044 best tutorial award" graphic that would go on a website? i can see that there might be some issues with something like this, but i could also see it being a greater incentive for wider participation than a strictly forum-based award.

But in 2044, you'll just plug your pliers into MAIL, and they'll make the piece for you, no tutorial required.

P.S. That's my innovation for the contest... Patented, Trademarked, and Stampsies, no erasies! Coif LoL

Seriously though, I'm sure a banner-type-thingy could be come up with, I don't see it being something that could cause any issues.
I just don't want to see it showing up in peoples Forum Signatures, here or elsewhere...
I've stated in the past, I'm not really keen on "I belong to/have done/enjoy" big honking banners in peoples sigs, as they show up EVERYWHERE in EVERY DAMN POST.
(Guilty of this myself in the past with my Xbox Sig, granted, I am reformed Very Happy)

Useful Links

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 5:33 pm

if we offer a forum based option like the theme shields, there will be no need for a banner-signature.

if we end up with crowded shield space, show either the most recent 3 or have the member choose 3. we can manage how these awards effect our own forums visual clutter. we can encourage people to not use the (small?) award banner in forum signatures, but ultimately it is for individual forums to establish their own policy on banners in signatures.

i'm pre-ordering my plier port, today!

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 5:45 pm

sakredchao wrote:

is there any specific reason that all submissions in a category shouldn't be considered? is there a reason we should limit it to intentional submissions?

What if we had a nomination system? You can nominate your own innovation if you want but if you don't, if you just submit something that someone else thinks is REALLLY COOOL, they could nominate you instead. I think that might help solve the possible problem of people not thinking their thing is worthy to be in the contest.

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 6:09 pm

i like nominations.. doing that could be as easy as a thread.

i would suggest we find a helper who wanted to keep track of the current nominations.

we always have people who want to help and nothing for them to do.

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 6:24 pm

sakredchao wrote:
if we end up with crowded shield space, show either the most recent 3 or have the member choose 3.

Shush, I'm already working on something VERY much along these lines... STOP BLOWING ALL MY GOOD IDEAS AND CLAIMING THEM AS YOURS!

Coif LoL

Seriously though... Expect an announcement with a feature not entirely unlike this soon.

Useful Links

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 4. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next