annual contest idea
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 79

annual contest idea
Posted on Tue May 08, 2012 9:22 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Rognvald wrote:
I am too eager to hear Kim's (challenging?) idea!

Now that the theme vote is underway, and that contest is on autopilot for the next 3 months, I have a thought for an annual contest.

best new idea or innovation

this could be a weave, a group of weaves or a family... a new application or function... (think baskets or moon-buggy tires).. yeah, i know baskets are old hat, but they weren't always old hat. it could be a tool or a technique.. it could be... i don't know Confused wow us! Very Happy

---

in my mind there would be 2 ways to approach this.

1) completely free and open. anyone can enter. anyone can vote. no real world prizes. maybe some kind of shield or kudos.

2) restricted entry. no (valid) BOD submissions. BOD discusses and votes. real world prize awarded.

i am open to members of the BOD participating, but i would like to see the prize given to a non-BOD member.

--

i'm not partial to either option, but i don't like the idea of open voting and prizes.

i am open to submissions being gallery images or articles.

in order to offer a prize we would (at the very least) need a BOD vote, and quite possibly a membership wide vote.. offering any sort of official MAIL prize, bought with MAIL funds is a pretty big change.

thoughts? interest? defamation?

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 35

Posted on Tue May 08, 2012 9:31 pm

This is an interesting idea. I'd like to see it more thoroughly discussed as I think it has potential.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Wed May 09, 2012 3:52 pm

What is BOD?

Sounds cool otherwise.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed May 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Great idea, Kim.

I'd like to see a Panel of Judges, not automatically the BOD. A set of guidelines could be drawn up to select the Judges. This criterion could include length of time at MAIL, and take into consideration submissions made to MAIL, such as weave tutorials, articles, and other contributions of value.

Names of potential Judges could be submitted by the members, but from that pool, the BOD would select the top 3 or possibly 5, and publish those names giving reasons for inclusion.

I would like to see the Judges chosen from members who are not already BOD, to be more inclusive; likewise, the prize to be awarded to someone not BOD.

I think the recognition involved would be prize enough, perhaps a Shield of some distinctive design. A real world prize would be nice, of course, funds permitting.

Just some random thoughts on Kim's posting.

ROGNVALD

Submissions: 36

Posted on Wed May 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Thought 1: I like the idea of having the BOD (Board of Directors) be the judges because being the most senior of MAIL, in many respects, and excluding them from participating I think it would encourage members to participate who might be intimidated by the more experienced BOD members.

Thought 2: I like Rognvald's idea of a judging panel selected by the BOD but nominated by the membership. This would allow board members to participate in the contest, but might intimidate newer members from participating.

Thought 3: I would like to see a theme for the year to encourage people in new directions. For example Tutorials, Articles, Weave Submission, Gallery. Or possibly have the best/most innovative in each area recognized every year.

Thought 4: Prizes are always great, but I have found that around here bragging rights can be even better motivator around here. If you don't think so look at the discussions about naming a new weave. Possibly a spot on the Home page that lists contest winners.

I know that some of these are conflicting thoughts, welcome to my world. I just wanted to get them out there and let people tell me to go back and toot my flute some more. Coif LoL (for those of you who don't know I am a flute player as well as a band director)

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Wed May 09, 2012 4:54 pm

reform wrote:
What is BOD?

Sounds cool otherwise.

BOD is our board of directors:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/management/

Rognvald wrote:

I'd like to see a Panel of Judges, not automatically the BOD. A set of guidelines could be drawn up to select the Judges. This criterion could include length of time at MAIL, and take into consideration submissions made to MAIL, such as weave tutorials, articles, and other contributions of value.

Names of potential Judges could be submitted by the members, but from that pool, the BOD would select the top 3 or possibly 5, and publish those names giving reasons for inclusion.

I would like to see the Judges chosen from members who are not already BOD, to be more inclusive; likewise, the prize to be awarded to someone not BOD.

one system i would be open to which allowed non-BOD members to vote would be, bringing former contest winners into the vote... (both contests or just this one, i'm open to options) giving them the option of being able to submit valid entries or being in the jury.

one thing i am firm on, any non-BOD member who was able to vote on a contest with a real world prize would be restricted from submitting valid entries, only participatory entries. no one who gets a vote can win a real world prize.

i'm in favor of excluding the BOD from winning -only- if we have a real world prize. honestly, if nothing is at stake but kudos, i want a shot at it.

i want to keep this contest as simple as possible. if it becomes complicated it becomes no fun. none of the BOD get paid enough to have to feel obligated to deal with complicated jury selection. one reason i am in favor of a BOD jury is that it is simple. another is that (in my mind) we are already automatically disqualified from winning anything bought with MAIL money..

the extra simple way to move forward is no real world prize, everyone enters and everyone votes.

hmm, with the idea of complications in mind. if the contest were to go forward, it would be a trial contest. i like the idea of an annual contest, but if things end up being problematic i do not want to obligate MAIL to continue the contest. the theme contest was started under similar conditions.

this is all my own reasoning. i'm not trying to naysay your idea or sound like words coming from a BOD member are the way of things. i am but one BOD vote, and all BOD vote results can be overcome with a membership referendum. i will not be the first to say that mobilizing the MAIL membership for a referendum is a daunting task.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed May 09, 2012 6:23 pm

MusicMan wrote:
Coif LoL (for those of you who don't know I am a flute player as well as a band director)

Oh no! Not a flute player!!!!!!!!! The only thing worse is a trumpet player. Wink

(Clarinet and Saxophone here. *grin*)

Posted on Wed May 09, 2012 9:25 pm

Good thoughts, Kim. Keeping it all simple is fine; my thought was to include more of the membership in important roles. And I feel that the recognition of winning is more of an incentive than real-world prizes might be.

Posted on Wed May 09, 2012 9:33 pm

well, perhaps i should ask this:

how many people would want to give up their chance of winning to be able to vote on the winner?

i'm gauging interest here, not being rhetorical. this is a genuine call for people to say, "me!"

rognvald, for my clarification on your position, are you saying that you would prefer no real world prize?

Posted on Thu May 10, 2012 12:17 am

@kim, I don't think the real world prize is all that important, compared to the accolade of receiving recognition and a special shield. Of course, I can only speak for myself. And the only reason I bring that up is again with the idea of keeping it simple, if it would be easier in some way to avoid a monetary or other 'real' prize.

Posted on Thu May 10, 2012 1:00 am

I would be willing to supply a prize. Very Happy

I'd like to see a good competition with a lot of entries. More people seem willing to put in the effort and energy if they have a chance to get something cool. The shield by the nametag is cool, but not as big as an incentive as something physical. The topic of best new idea or innovation is one that could lead to some rather cool submissions methinks.

Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Posted on Thu May 10, 2012 1:49 am

yeah, a prize source needs to be discussed, if we decide to do a prize. i feel we can wait on that topic, for now.. but, we will keep your offer in mind, martin. thanks!

Submissions: 36

Posted on Thu May 10, 2012 3:40 am

Kim to answer your questions a prize doesn't matter to me. I would much rather see a shield/graphic and than something on the home page listing the winners for the year.

So I would give up the prize in order to vote. But on the flip side those who are voting might not enter than. Possibly have it be that "a group" votes and if a member of that group is up to win make it a general population vote. That would allow everybody to feel like they could participate without any worry about bias. Although there I go making things more complicated again.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Thu May 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Doing this the RIGHT way may not necessarily be the simplest way... it shouldn't be too difficult though if kept well organised, and spelled out clearly.

Posted on Thu May 10, 2012 4:21 pm

so far it looks like the interest in giving prizes is higher than the interest in receiving them.

if the membership doesn't want prizes, everything is easy.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 4. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next