Chainmaille Jewellry in Game of Thrones
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 16

Chainmaille Jewellry in Game of Thrones
Posted on Tue May 01, 2012 7:43 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

No Spoilers here ^^ but I just watched the new Episode of Game of Thrones and a 'necklace' catched my attention (actually, it did so in the last one already, but there was no good close up and i thought it would be something different not-maille)

It really looks like Spiral 3-1 (I think I remember that the 'necklace' does not have a clasp or anything like it, there was a scene in the last episode where you could see the wearer from behind) and I think it is quite rare to see some maille jewellry that isn't byzantine.

[Also, sorry if 'necklace' is the wrong term - I'm a history nerd, but I prefer a timeline before those were worn]

Submissions: 84

Posted on Wed May 02, 2012 6:00 am || Last edited by djgm on Fri May 04, 2012 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total

I pre-summarize you mean Spiral 4 in 1 Also yay game of thrones!

Submissions: 36

Posted on Wed May 02, 2012 3:35 pm

That is nice to see. Although I don't think it is Spiral 4in1 just because it doesn't spiral smooth enough. It almost looks more like a JPL variant, plus the rings I can follow only seem to go through 3 rings.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Wed May 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Oups, there is no Spiral 3-1? I have actually only once tired 4-1 and after realizing that it unwinds itself without something that keeps it in shape, I kinda lost interest (although O like how it looks).

I thought that it could be JPL 3, but it looks awfully loose for that...

Posted on Wed May 02, 2012 5:13 pm

There is actually a Spiral 3 in 1 the chain in the picture just looks to neat to be Spiral 3 in 1 in my eye, but who knows? You could be right.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 15

Posted on Wed May 02, 2012 8:20 pm

It's a spiral 4 in 1 chain, if you look at the part in the shadow and then find one of the rings that you can clear see it's O shape because it's perpendicular to the camera then it becomes pretty clear that four other rings are passing through it.

It doesn't look like a very smooth spiral because they didn't twist the spiral chain tight enough before they joined it's ends. And it appears to have some JPL qualities at some points because the two 2 in 1 chains that form a 4 in 1 spiral are being pulled on unevenly. If the AR is right and the spiral is locked in place tight enough then that look will also be eliminated.

So yeah 4 in 1 Spiral. Uber

Posted on Wed May 02, 2012 9:24 pm

J.R. Nimmo wrote:
It's a spiral 4 in 1 chain, if you look at the part in the shadow and then find one of the rings that you can clear see it's O shape because it's perpendicular to the camera then it becomes pretty clear that four other rings are passing through it.

It doesn't look like a very smooth spiral because they didn't twist the spiral chain tight enough before they joined it's ends. And it appears to have some JPL qualities at some points because the two 2 in 1 chains that form a 4 in 1 spiral are being pulled on unevenly. If the AR is right and the spiral is locked in place tight enough then that look will also be eliminated.

after looking more closely, i think you are right - and the idea with it being a not so tight twirsted spiral 4-1 makes sense, although i have no experience with that wave and because of that, do not know how it would behave in that case.

Posted on Thu May 03, 2012 6:28 pm

ys2
J.R. Nimmo wrote:

I would agree with your observation on it not being twisted tight. I am looking at some of the rings perp. to the camera and it looks like one ring is only going through three rings. I think it is a combination between loose AR and possibly an inexperienced mailler because some I see having 3 and some 4 rings.

Either way it is nice to see different chains being represented on modern media. Thanks for bringing it to our attention Kleriker.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Posted on Thu May 03, 2012 9:39 pm

MusicMan wrote:
Some I see having 3 and some 4 rings.

MM could you post a pic highlighting the ones that only go through three, because I haven't been able to spot any.

Posted on Thu May 03, 2012 11:57 pm

why do I feel like I just got trolled?

Posted on Fri May 04, 2012 1:42 am

Idk if i full understand what it is to "be trolled." I didn't do anything wrong did I? Confused

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri May 04, 2012 2:34 am

J.R. Nimmo - don't be offended. djgm doesn't seem to understand "netiquette". He says odd things that don't make any sense. You didn't do anything wrong. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Fri May 04, 2012 4:04 am

no nothing wrong. Just thought I summarized most of this thread at the get go.

Posted on Fri May 04, 2012 4:27 pm

I am going to appologize for the poor picture editing (it looks much better before I uploaded it again) and marking I don't have a good program to do it with.

The arrows point to rings laying flat on the persons body.

To me it looks like the red arrow points to a ring that is going through three other, the blue ring is pointing to one that is going through four others and I couldn't get a good picture **like the one you are looking at is good Sad ** of a spot it looked like one ring was going through only 2.

Weave Spiral 4 in 1 variation, variation, variation. Very Happy

Edit: Wow! after I posted I looked at the picture and the colers really changed. The red arrow is now Purple and the blue arrow green Mad I may have to try do it again.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 35

Posted on Fri May 04, 2012 4:53 pm

With my cursory glance, I also thought it might have been a spiral 3 in 1, but after looking at the horizontal (flat) rings on the LHS of the picture, I think it's really spiral 4 in 1.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next