How can I make very short mail sleeves?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

How can I make very short mail sleeves?
Posted on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:47 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Does anyone have any ideas for making a hauberk with very short sleeves?
I'm trying to make mail sleeves that only come about halfway down the upper arm, like on this monument.
http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/45503-popup.html
But it seems like if I made them that short, they would be pulled up at a noticeable angle on the outside of the arm.
Is there a way to avoid this?
Below is what I've made so far, basically a "strap and barrel" with a 90 degree seam around the arm holes. I wasn't sure if it'd be better to keep the seams, remove them, of if there's something else I could do.
(I figure the original likely used circular expansion construction, but I don't fell like starting over.)
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz4/Jojo_3000/100_1290.jpg

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:03 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

There really isn't a way to avoid that with a b&s with sleeves that are just extensions of the strap link-rows -- or, like yours, 90-deg joins at the sleeves. Historically, they just lived with that up-sloping sleeve end, it seems. Many many historical shirts show this, and it's very obvious to the eye that's looking for it.

Nobody even seemed to bother with a 45-degree join of sleeve to shoulder -- limited ability to raise the arm, I suspect, and that would limit your swordarm tactics, which you don't want. Some, however, might have added in a 45-degree out-and-downward slope to the end of the sleeve -- a little more armor there, facing to the outside whence the threats come. Possible? Maybe. Such an extension certainly doesn't have to come to a point. Could look like \__/.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1