ALUMINIUM 5356 vs ALUMINIUM 4043
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

ALUMINIUM 5356 vs ALUMINIUM 4043
Posted on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Is there a difference between the 2 grades when working with them and are they visually different ?

Posted on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:06 pm

After coiling a pallets worth of 1.6mm 4043 over the last year: It depends how you make the rings. If you make coils directly off the spool, then the 4043 rings are super soft and can be opened using your fingers. (Great for teaching kids!) Do the same thing with 5356 and you get very hard rings that are also strong.

Now, put a couple bends in the wire while you are coiling it, and the 4043 gets work hardened until its almost as hard as raw 5356. Put the same bends in 5356, and you get a ring that's too hardened and snaps when you open it.

So they are abouts the same, you just have to prepare them differently.

Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Submissions: 150

Posted on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Sorry, I tend to DISagree with Martin's opinion.

ER-4000 stuff (AlSi alloys like ER-4043) may be liked by welders, and people who make Al castings, as Si acts as 'flux', but isn't really good for maille. And who anodizes AlSi stuff (or attempts to do so) will soon note, that this will lead to grayish colors. That stuff is simply 'dirty', has much ruboff due to comparably low hardness (just less than 'pure' Al fence wire), and will never get a good shine that also lasts. Work hardening may work for making the rings stronger, up to the point of brittleness, but won't significantly change the surface hardness. So this stuff would be maybe acceptable for me in andodized state (gives hard surface), with some dark colors (as gray doesn't matter much there), but not as 'blank' rings.

In contrast to that, near to all ER-5000 class wires (AlMg alloys) are good for maille useage - the ones with around 3% Mg (ER-5x54) are especially good for anodizing, and the ones with 4.5 to 5% Mg (and maybe additionally Mn) even better, if they end as BA. My personal favorites are AlMg5 (ER-5x56), AlMg4.5Mn (ER-5x83), and AlMg4.5MnZr (ER-5x87).

I simply prefer hard and tough over hard and brittle.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:54 am

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=16239
Some good info in this thread too.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:01 am

Thank you for the replies. After looking at the information and finding a few other threads on the topic on these forums, I think I will be getting my work to price up some reels in the 5xxx grade, seems to be an easier grade to work with with also a better over all look for maille

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1