0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dragonscale
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Conundrum
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Other (please post weave and/or link below)
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Submissions: 2

guitar strap proper metal/ringsize/pattern
Posted on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:08 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have a friend in a band that is starting to do well. He has shown an interest in having a guitar strap or 2 made of maille since ive been posting pictures of my hauberk in progress, to give them another talking point and as he was a good friend in highschool ive decided to make them for him. Im wondering what patterns to use, ive told him ill send a couple small samples of different weave but before i actually take the time to make the rings and small sheets of each one i wanted to run the idea by the experts. I was thinking of sending him a sample of each, dragonscale, conundrum,euro 8in2 kingsmaille, and euro 6in1. The only thing ive actually done to this point is euro 6in. And a small peice of 8in1 that i plan on making a bracelet of. And ive been working with 16awg galvy with 5/16" ID. I do have homemade mandrels of each 3/16", 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" to work with. But the thing im wondering is mainly weather the steel at that guage will be strong enough to support an average weight electric guitar and also if those weave themselves will be comfortable/flexible enough to do the job. Thnx in advance for any advice given.

*edit*
also what guage and ringsize (if different from AR recomended by weave page) or metal would you recomend for each pattern in this application, im not really worried about the price as far as steel is concerned but i dont want to go with silver or any really pricey metal cuz id have to charge him if i did lol

P03t

Submissions: 79

Posted on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:00 am

I'd choose a weave that can be made with tighter links since that's where the real strength comes from IMO.

Submissions: 7

Posted on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Elfsheet 3 wide is what I would suggest. 18SWG 3/16" in steel should work nicely, but may get too tight in other softer metals.

while(!finished)
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 N22.20 Pn Dcdjs Xg39w1 S07

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:46 pm

I think 16 ga should serve you well but please don't use ugly galvy! Rockers deserve stainless. Smile

Posted on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Jax25 wrote:
I think 16 ga should serve you well but please don't use ugly galvy! Rockers deserve stainless. Smile

Lol thats what i was thinking too, ill just use galvy for the samples of each weave i decide to let him choose between then once i know whats up ill order stainless, i do like the elfsheet idea though so i think that will definately be one of the samples i send

Posted on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:19 pm

I was making a dragonscale belt once, I think it was from 16 swg 3/8" stainless and 16 swg 1/4" blackened stainless, and that would have made a pretty bitchin' guitar strap. Unfortunately that strip seems to have gotten misplaced in one of my moves. I'm hoping to find it when I get into my new house and have a chance to unpack all of my boxes. Coif LoL

Posted on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:29 am

mainly what im worried about is just the strength of the weave vs the comfort. obviously the type of metal plays into the strength as well as the gauge, but its not worth making if the first time my buddy decides to do a solo and starts getting groovy with his guitar the strap breaks. and the largest area for this concern is really gonna be at the point where it connects to whatever clip is used to hold it onto the guitar. these are all things im worrying about as ive only been weaving since february and the only weave i know like the back of my hand is euro 6-1 lol. i personally love the way 6-1 feels its a bit heavy but nice and sturdy and at the same time it conforms really well to body shapes thats why its on the voting block above. however dragonscale looks like it would feel about the same if weaved in the proper aspect and the smaller rings make for more stable structure. i just odered some new rods to wrap coils for elf weave and dragonscale. so we will see how those work out but how about conundrum? lol that one looks like it will be tough to weave but could be flexible and strong at the same time.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:39 am

If you have an especially strong rocker in mind this is an idea I've been thinking about turning into a strap.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68156782@N02/7075484849/in/photostream
the links are 0.1" wire, 1/2" and 1/4". not to be an add but you can get bags of 100 of these 1" long 3/8" base tree spikes at studsandspikes.com for a steal.

Posted on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:54 am

what is that? kinged jap 6-1?

Posted on Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:49 am

Japanese 12-2, yes.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:50 pm

Dragonscale is a bit of a pet weave for me. Done with the right size rings you can keep the small rings from slipping on top top of the big ones and interrupting the aesthetic appeal of the weave. Its sturdy, flexes well, especially in a band the size of a guitar strap, and is dense enough that you shouldn't have to worry about about strength. I'm currently working on a byrnie using 17g (1.4224 mm if I'm not mistaken) could on 5.5mm and 8.5mm mandrels, yielding a mandrel based aspect ratio of 3.87 and 5.98 respectively. Unfortunately I don't have a micrometer to calculate the actual inner diameter to adjust for springback. These sizes work very well with the galvy wire I'm using. As far as comfort a long setlist would probably wear on a shoulder. I'm estimating about four to five pounds depending on the width of the strap, and the weave would probably dig in a little. A padded patch could be either sewed or tied onto the underside of the strap to alleviate this and I don't think would take away from the appearance. I've also got a friend that asked about a dragonscale guitar strap, and he brought up the issue of length adjustment. The downside for a guitar player using a maille strap is that it's not adjustable. Just something you might want to keep in mind when deciding in a length. I'd say it's definitely a preference of the end user. A bit wordy of a response, and I recognize I'm partial to dragonscale, but hopefully it helps. Gan'batte!

Janus0816

Posted on Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:12 am

As far as the length goes i alredy thought of that im just gonna have him take a tape measure to the strap he uses after he has it at his preferred length. I appreciate all the input so far and as it stands the samples ill be sending him will be kingsmaille, dragonscale, elfsheet, and e6-1 im just waiting on a couple more parts to come in for my roller and hopefully the ringinator ez i ordered will be in soon too

Posted on Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:20 am

As far as the length goes i alredy thought of that im just gonna have him take a tape measure to the strap he uses after he has it at his preferred length. I appreciate all the input so far and as it stands the samples ill be sending him will be kingsmaille, dragonscale, elfsheet, and e6-1 im just waiting on a couple more parts to come in for my roller and hopefully the ringinator ez i ordered will be in soon too

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:15 am

If you don't mind let me know how that Ringinator EZ works out for you. I'm looking at picking one up eventually and would like to know how it performs with different metals and sizes.

Janus0816

Submissions: 150

Posted on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:17 pm

I may second Trenchcoatguy's proposal of Elfsheet - width adjusted to the preference of the user.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next