Newbie here with a question
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Newbie here with a question
Posted on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:57 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi All,

My name is Megan. I recently started getting into chain maille jewelry. I have take a couple of classes and really want to get into trying different weaves.

The question I'm hoping someone can answer is, Are there any specific wire gauges/ IDs that work well on multiple weaves or that are good to experiment with?

I think at the moment I'm looking just to play around and teach myself some of the weaves. Taking more classes will get too expensive so if you have any suggestions of some rings that I should look into purchasing it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Im new myself, but im finding 4mm id 1mm wire is nice to play with (not had much experience with other sizes), if your anything like me though, have a look through the library, find some weaves you like the look off and just have a go at them, you might surprise yourself, the tutorials on here are brilliant

Submissions: 1

Re: Newbie here with a question
Posted on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:24 pm

NazArtist wrote:

The question I'm hoping someone can answer is, Are there any specific wire gauges/ IDs that work well on multiple weaves or that are good to experiment with?

I think at the moment I'm looking just to play around and teach myself some of the weaves.

Hi Megan!

For many of the common weaves, the bigger the AR the easier to weave, and the bigger the ID, the easier it is to handle the rings. In short, if you're learning a new weave, go big.

I've taught myself a number of weaves with 16ga (0.062", 1.6 mm) wire 5/16" ID, giving an AR of around 5.4. E4-1, HP, Full Persian, Captive round, etc. are all easy to weave at this AR. You might not love the finished product, but for learning it, bigger is usually better. This does exclude certain weaves that NEED a lower-AR, like Jens Pind Linkage.

I might go for a medium-soft metal, like bronze or brass, then disassemble and re-use the rings to learn another weave.

Submissions: 81

Posted on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:51 pm

I also like 0.062" 5/16". They make a decent Half Persian 4 in 1 , Crotalus , Universal Figure 8 Chain , and many more I'm sure.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:50 am

Starting out I had a lot of success with 16g 5/16" as well. For weaves that might need smaller ARs, like byzantine for example, I like playing with 18g 5/32". Still big enough to see what you are doing, but small enough for smaller AR weaves.

Submissions: 291

Posted on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:15 am

i recommend getting a variety of sizes. trl (the ring lord) offers a good variety, increasing sizes in 1/16" and 1/32". as you get more experienced, you get into sizes with a difference of 1/64" and 1/128". you'll always need a variety because there is just an amazing amount of weaves to do. also, starting with bigger rings is a good idea, but you'll still need small rings too in order to make connections to clasps and dangles. no matter how small the order, i always get at least 3 sizes in any certain gauge and metal.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1