finding the right size rings
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

finding the right size rings
Posted on Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:39 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I was looking to make a JPL5 bracelet for someone who wants it in two different colors, so I was going to make it using AA. I wanted to make it with something around maybe 16 swg, which would make 5/16 a decent ID to use from what I have seen. The issue I am having is that I can't find any places to buy rings of that size.

Even disregarding gauge/ID and searching by AR on TRL didn't come up with any AA rings with a good AR for JPL5.

Was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for finding some decent AA rings suitable for a JPL5 bracelet. Preferably with black/dark grey and yellow/gold colors available.

Thanks in advanced, and I apologize if this is something fairly simply found.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:37 am

TRL seems to have AR5.2 rings, close enough to be workable with a 4.9AR JPL5.

if you were working in stainless and yellow brass, you could get multiple colors and be able to make the rings yourself.

for myself, if i want rings of "that perfect size", this seems to be the only workable option..

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:12 am

Well the 16516 sawcut AA rings may be a little bit large for many maillers' taste, and not so easy weavable as sub-AR5 rings, but are within the workable JPL5 AR range. In fact I even prefer this high AR in the meanwhile, if making necklaces or 'utility' chains that shall be extra 'fluid' and bendable.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Blue Buddha has what you are looking for:
http://www.bluebuddhaboutique.com/supplies/anodized/anodizedprices.php

As does C&T Designs:
http://www.candtdesigns.com/Shop-by-material/Anodized-Aluminum/Anodized-aluminum-16g-p538.html

They are a slightly higher AR than I like to make JPL5 with, but I make my own rings and I'm extremely picky and persnickety. Ask anyone. Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:08 pm

It doesn't matter much, which provider is chosen, as long as all providers have basically the same ring measurements in their assortment. Sure it's clear that they don't want to (=cannot afford to) stock the multitude of colors in many different measurements with e.g. a 1/64" stepping. So maybe some bare metal rings in different material combinations can be a solution, as here a tighter size stepping is doable for a provider, as well as for colored ring types (Nb, Ti), that don't have such a long lead time and so large minumum production batch sizes as AA has.

And MAYBE (I didn't look for) some provider(s) exist(s), that use(s) metric mandrels - 1.6mm (16swg) wire coiled on 7mm or even better 7.5mm mandrel would be the solution for tighter JPL5 chains. But to be honest: I doubt that.

So, if I need colored rings for JPL5, I always use Niobium or Titanium, coiled on the mandrel I found right for the chosen AR, and anodize the material to the colors I chose.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

-'me

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 am

Unfortunately I am a tiny bit of a perfectionist, and would rather use saw cut rings, and at the moment I do not have the finances available to me to purchase a setup to make my own rings. This is something I hope to be able to do in the near future, as it would provide me with much more control over my ring sizes, and allow me to more freely experiment.

The problem I had with those two providers is that C&T's rings AR is at 5.26, which is above the ideal AR threshold for JPL5, and Blue Buddha doesn't give any specific information about the actual ID or actual wire diameter that they use (unless I am just not seeing it...) so I cannot be sure that their rings are any closer to what I need than are those from C&T.

I can be quite picky as well, as you can plainly see.

Thankfully, the weave for the bracelet I am making isn't set in stone, so I might order some rings from C&T (slightly cheaper than Blue Buddha) to see how they work out, and if I'm not happy with the way the weave looks with those rings I will consult and have them chose another weave that will be slightly more forgiving with respect to AR. The bracelet is for a family member, so there is some freedom to make changes without much worry.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply and point me in the right direction. Much appreciated!

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:32 am

Yeah... speaking from persnickety experience, it's a crapshoot unless you make your own rings. But try some bought rings and tell us how it goes. We really want to know. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:58 am

I may add, that such high-AR JPL5 (above 5, up to ~5.4) looks and works really well as mostly free hanging chain, like e.g. necklaces or wallet/utility chains, but is not so attractive if lying flat on a surface, what includes bracelet use. So here I propose to stay in the 4.75 to 4.90 AR range, and to acquire or make the rings for - or to chose another weave that can be done easier with the available ring selection; e.g. Persians are always attractive.

-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 79

Posted on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:38 pm

if you are a perfectionist, make your own rings.
spend 15$ on a hand saw and 5$ on some blades.

or

i think you can make your own drill-press setup for under 100$.. much less if you already have a drill press.

looking for your idea of perfection from a supplier is going to be a difficult search..

also, keep in mind that when a weave has a listed ideal AR of 3.2.. that was chosen based on arbitrary personal preference and averaged across several users (maybe).
-your- preference is what ultimately matters.

the only way to know your preference: a finely incremented mandrel set.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1