Can Someone Name This Weave?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Can Someone Name This Weave?
Posted on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:11 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I made this from some left-over jump rings from several batches, and I don't know what the name of the weave is. Chainmailling community Brains Trust to the rescue! Can anyone tell me the name of the weave?
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=358588054168288&set=a.198806060146489.57726.180145915345837&type=3&theater
Thanks!

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Gosh I wish people wouldn't link crap from Facebook. Y'all do realize that people access this site from work sometimes and said work sites can (and in my case do) bar their employees from accessing sites like Facebook, right? *sigh*

Posting a Photograph
Posted on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:49 am

I'm very sorry, Jax25.

If you will explain how I can upload the photograph to this forum thread, I am more than happy to do so.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:53 am

Took the pic from facebook and uploaded it on tinypic:

Posted on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:58 am

Thanks for the help, drahcus. Much appreciated!

Submissions: 266

Posted on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:11 am

It's a repetitive series of the same design extended into a chain. But it's not a weave.

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
Chainmailbasket.com (2013-11-23)
152 + 13

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:23 am

Some 4 in 2 chain with some added rings on the sides to hold some of the doubled rings open a little. Sort of a half-way done Back to Work or Butterfly. But I wouldn't describe it as a new weave, myself.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 95

Posted on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:53 pm

I agree with Lorraine and David on this. It's a 4-2 based design, quite pretty, but not a weave.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Posted on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks very much for your replies. You've saved me a lot of time digging through the weaves pages!

Submissions: 50

Posted on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:09 pm

I think it might be more accurate to say that it is not a currently documented weave.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:46 am

[quote:5e3c78aaeb="ElementalDragon"]I think it might be more accurate to say that it is not a currently documented weave.

i call e4.

it's segments of ribbons bolted together on the side, with a kinged ring centered in each segment.

nexusmaille, something you might try, is paying close attention to the stacking direction of the segments.. in the image, some of them are flat to each other and some of them spiral.

European 4 in 1 (CGI; ribbon)
look into this article if you aren't sure what "euro4 ribbon" means. i am proposing that your weave is, more or less, short segments of ribbons "bolted", or connected by a simple japanese stitch.

short story long, the difference between flat and twisted stitches in your chain is the difference between
European 4 in 1

and this -
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af315/sakredchao/e4twist.jpg

this weave reverses stacking direction every other row to create a flat effect.

if the stacking is not balanced, the weave will look irregular.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:25 pm

Flowers 4 in 1 related, then. Differs in that there is a single strand and the "flowers" are lined up across the grain instead of with the grain. The use of two different size rings distorts the flower shape into more of a butterfly shape. The change in orientation to the grain quite possibly also contributes to the butterfly effect.

I think this particular repetitive series is not yet a documented weave.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:49 pm

I'd have to go with ED on this one, a 'not yet documented weave', unless a number of other 'documented weaves' are to be tossed out as not meeting the 'weave' definition.

Posted on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:51 pm

Stripped down and shrunk down, this is what I see the structure of the weave of your chain to be. The E4 is 14swg 1/4" score and break cut galvanized steel, the "bolting" is 12awg 3/16" score and break cut copper. What I see is that the properties of your chain are dependent on the larger AR rings you used. In particular, you might notice that the center of each set of 3 "bolting" rings in my chain is pretty much vertical while in yours they are horizontal. I found that my chain laid straighter that way due to my closer, smaller ARs. The lay of the rings connecting directly to the E4 is forced into laying like the E4 instead of nearly vertical as in your chain, making 3 ring 2-in-1 spirals between my E4 patches. For that matter, it could also be said that your weave is E4 diamonds "bolted" together instead of flowers, with only the center of the 3 "bolting" rings being a "bolt" ring.

Edit: Corrected img link.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:25 am

Thread Split twice at this point:

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=17132
AND
http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=17133

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1