Almost a good idea for a new weave.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 16

Almost a good idea for a new weave.
Posted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:09 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm making something with helm-chain, and got thinking of a spectacular new way to make it into sheet, you just bend it a little, so that the row of big rings on the top pushes down on one side... then you would have to remove always one of the smaller rings and then you could connect this to another slightly bend helm-chain...

it took me a couple minutes until i realized that I just 'discovered' dragonscale... sometimes it gets a bit frustrating to have those moments, but I kinda like them in the end, you discover a lot of similarities between weaves you wouldn't think that they had some...

Submissions: 150

Posted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:33 pm

I had these moments more often than just once - the number of rediscovered weaves has exceeded already a dozen or so. This was disappointing the first couple of times, upon discovery of the fact.

But after a while I began to feel the pride of having made independent REdiscoveries of weaves - and that can become just as good as finding new ones.

So be proud about.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:49 pm

D'OH! I HATE when that happens. Very Happy But it is the first step to coming up with something new. Keep at it. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:20 pm

I always like to hear about alternate ways of thinking about a weave, so this is useful information; often this sort of similarity-discovery helps me 'get' the weave-theory. Thank you for sharing your idea!

Submissions: 79

Posted on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:31 am

i "discovered" hp3 at one point while berating a burnout for "doing it wrong." i stopped in mid sentence. "it's not wrong, its different" he said. he was right. it was a 2-1 around the eye stitch on the edge of a sheet of e4. it blew my mind.

if you are really single minded about developing a weave.. i believe the largest holes in the web have japanese and european interactions.

also, this newly identified interaction "mage" could be explored more fully.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:28 am

My 'recipe' for finding weaves is NOT directly searching for, but simply building a portfolio, by learning a handful of basic weaves, and a handful of modification techniques - and combining these iteratively, and reduce the results down to basic forms. The usual result of this 'engineer's approach' was having found a group of weaves/modifications/variants, once a single new (or not yet published) combination was discovered - and that happened already more than once. Learn to weave as many memorized weaves as possible, to 'mastership' by you, instead of rebrewing cookbook recipes for some fancy combinations. And always test all combination techniques known to you. It's like learning foreign languages - the more you already know to speak, the easier it gets to learn new ones.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1