Joining Dragonscale - Possible?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 1

Joining Dragonscale - Possible?
Posted on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:55 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I've recently scrapped a partial "handflower" and pulled apart the two weaves, Full Persian 6-1 and DS (don't ask), and have now decided to work the patches into a belt. My problem is trying to join the two patches of DS, it's not really working out. I've joined together DS along the vertical edge to make my ring, but this is along the horizontal edge (where the two ring sizes layer) and I'm having difficulty getting my rings to go where they need to since the weave is fairly tight.

Is this a lost cause, or is there some trick to getting my rings in where they need to go, such as attaching a string and "threading" them through? If it helps, I'm working with etched aluminum, 18g SWG, 1/4" and 5/32" IDs.

Chainmail works because every link knows it can lean on its neighbors for strength.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:43 pm

No it's normally not a lost cause, just a matter of experience - maybe think of Dragonscale as two interwoven E4in1 sheets (what it basically is, besides being also a sheeted helm) - with that in mind you'll soon know, how it works out.

BTW: I love your signature - compare it with mine Smile

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Yeah, I loved your sig as well when I first saw it, and the concept rings true no matter how you put it.

I know it's not impossible to do, and I know where the rings need to go, but the wire resists my attempts to guide it. Perhaps it's my trying to just butt the two pieces together and add just the necessary links to make a single patch; perhaps slowly building a "bridge" patch of sorts between them could work.

Chainmail works because every link knows it can lean on its neighbors for strength.

Posted on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:36 pm

As told - view DS as two interwoven sheets of E4in1 - so use a row of E4in1 made from alternating large and small rings, continuing the pattern as 'bridge', and fill in thereafter.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

-'me

Submissions: 266

triangulate the ends, then connect
Posted on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:46 pm

Definitely doable, but you might want to taper down each end triangularly and start that way. It will be much easier than trying to connect two flat ends together.

This method is illustrated using European 6 in 1 in the Basic European 6 in 1 / Japanese 12 in 2 Chainmail Basket Pattern article. Just apply the same principle to DS. This method can be used with the grain running the other way too.

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
Chainmailbasket.com (2013-11-23)
152 + 13

Re: triangulate the ends, then connect
Posted on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:12 am

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
Definitely doable, but you might want to taper down each end triangularly and start that way. It will be much easier than trying to connect two flat ends together.

This is what I ended up doing; it was still a pain but far less so than trying to join the flat ends directly. Learned a few things while I was at it as well, such as how much bending of my links I can get away with before mangling them out of shape (excessive tool marks I can't avoid, as I'm stuck using toothed pliers for the time being).

Thanks for the assistance, both of you! I'll try Zili's suggestion the next time I find myself in this situation.

Posted on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:54 pm

The proverb tells: All ways lead to Rome. Well, maybe not all, but definitely most times there are more than one. Some are straight, and maybe a bit steep and stony, others take the longer but convenient route - and only in seldom cases someone built a tunnel to cross the alps on a convenient AND short route.

So, to conclude this: As long as you find your way to join Dragonscale, it doesn't matter much, which way was chosen to reach that goal. Sometimes it might be good to explore new ways doing this or that in mailleing, like e.g. finding time-saving (aka speed-weave) methods for doing a particular weave, but in the end only the result is, what counts. Congrats to your success.

-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 73

Posted on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:27 pm

Rather delayed, but I do have a tutorial for joining Dragonscale here - http://cgmaille.com/tutorials/joindscale.shtml

-phong

Posted on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:17 am

Yeah, just like that!

Hey Phong. I guess I should check your website more often. Smile

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
152 + 13

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:53 am

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
Yeah, just like that!

Hey Phong. I guess I should check your website more often. Smile

NO! Phong should get his butt in here and do his JOB more often... Just sayin'.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 73

Posted on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:42 pm

Hey, the Articles queue is empty. I take that as a sign that I am not derelict in my duties. *nods*

-phong

Submissions: 36

Posted on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:34 pm

Phong wrote:
Hey, the Articles queue is empty. I take that as a sign that I am not derelict in my duties. *nods*

-phong

The queue us up and working again? Last I heard it was down for servicing... I am going to have to work at those articles again and give you something to do. Very Happy

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:46 pm

Phong wrote:

-phong

Part of your job is to entertain MEEEEE! GAH! Do your job...
*taps foot impatiently*

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:51 am

MusicMan wrote:

The queue us up and working again? Last I heard it was down for servicing... I am going to have to work at those articles again and give you something to do. Very Happy

No, it's not working again. That is why the queue has been empty for so long. Phong made a funny.

152 + 13

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:36 pm

lorraine wrote:
Phong wrote:

-phong

Part of your job is to entertain MEEEEE! GAH! Do your job...
*taps foot impatiently*

I like this post very much. We all know the world revolves around lorraine anyway. Wink Oh..and her cats...

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next