Weave Conversion
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Weave Conversion
Posted on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:32 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey, just wonderin how 2 convert from E6-1 to E8-1 on the same sheet, and how to join sheets of each to one another.

Thanks,
Kyle

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:51 am

Using rings suitable for European 8 in 1 weave the next edge ring through 4 edge rings instead of 3 (like you would do for European 6 in 1). That would be the rings marked in blue.

Then keep going, with your edge rings, but adding 4 rings to your new one instead of just 3. That would be the rings marked in red this time. Then keep going.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 81

Posted on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:17 am

are there different names for like a 6in1 that shares one link or an 8in1 that shares one or two? I wonder if that would change the ideal AR. I think this is a really interesting topic as I don't ever find the transitions very smooth. I wonder if certain combinations of sharing x number of links will make the transitions more fluid. Like as a simple example you could transition from 4in1 to 8in1 with a row of Kinged links so it wouldn't pinch the 4in1 so much.I'd imagine link sizes would also be a huge factor to consider.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Lorraine, the diagrams and explanations you've given are useful and I will play around with the technique for the piece I'm currently working on. So thanks a lot Smile djgm, I've also wondered this and a solution that comes to mind simply plays on the density and malleability of the weaves. Say you are connecting 6-1 to 8-1 as i am or vice versa. Try playing around with the number of rings looped on the denser weave. EX. Try hooking 5 rings instead of 4 on the 8-1 piece. This will allow the 6-1 to be less bunched and the transition to appear smoother.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1