Weave Tag Definitions
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 95

Posted on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:32 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Rognvald wrote:

Also, is the use of the phrases 0-dimensional, 1-dimensional, 2-dimensional accurate here? Not to be overly precise... but these all have 3 dimensions, although the point is made...

The dimensional aspect of those descriptions is in regards to the dimensional expansion of those forms. A unit weave does not expand, thus it is a 0-dimensional weave; chains and bands only expand in the length of the weaves, thus they are 1-dimensional weave forms; sheet, web, and radial expand in length and width and so are 2-dimensional weave forms, and, of course, 3D weaves expand in all directions (length, width, and depth/height).

Rognvald wrote:
For a weave to be tagged 'band', would that necessarily mean that it could NOT be made as a 'chain'; in other words, would a 'band' be the smallest unit of that weave? The example pictured above makes me ask.

As ZiLi has said, 'band' is not an easy thing to completely answer. To some, 'bands' are simply wide chains, while to others, they are narrow strips of sheets. To me, they are a quasi-form that exists between sheet and chain. To wide to be seen as a chain, to narrow to be a sheet. Some, may be able to be made wider into sheets, but never thinner into chains.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:55 am

Good explanation of the usage of 'dimension', thank you. 'Dimensional expansion', got it!

And thanks also ZiLi and Narrina for the 'band' definition. I like the last part especially, that a 'band' can never be made thinner into a chain--- that answers that question.

Submissions: 50

Posted on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:20 pm

The familial definitions seem a bit too general. I like the expansion terms, though.

I think limiting orbital and captive to being defined as non-structural is not accurate. I'm also not convinced that Rhino and Helm necessarily needed to be specially defined. Unless those are maybe structural definitions? Definitions of particular structures within a weave?

Alpha is a good idea. I would have used a different term than modification for a structural change, but I only came to that conclusion recently. Other than that, those two situations being defined is good thing, although, again, I think they are a bit general. Now define structural Smile

I'm not sure I see the difference between berus and mage the than one is a weave and one is in a weave.

Things like kinged and progression ought to start out with something like "A variant/modification in which...".

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:52 pm

I wonder, besides european 4 in 1 and other weves like 2 in 1, wich other weave is easy for a beginner to learn?

I mean, i'll start by the simple, but, on the following... wich weave shall i do?

After i get used with the 4 in 1 european, can i jump to a japanese weave for example?

thanks! Smile

Get it Hot, hit it hard, thats how it has to be.
Be always ready, cause winter is coming, and with it, some things that were forgotten can come to live again!

Submissions: 150

Posted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:14 pm

Donatti wrote:
After i get used with the 4 in 1 european, can i jump to a japanese weave for example?

Why not? Feel absolutely free to try what you think is manageable with given ring collection. There are no limits. For building a solid basis portfolio I'd propose to work through the 'Alpha' tagged weaves.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:17 pm

thanks zili, i believe i'm gonna try to follow the more easy ones first, slow and ever!

Coif LoL

Get it Hot, hit it hard, thats how it has to be.
Be always ready, cause winter is coming, and with it, some things that were forgotten can come to live again!

Posted on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:37 pm

thanks so much for this, been looking for the definitions for ages

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:17 pm

razocaine_07 wrote:
thanks so much for this, been looking for the definitions for ages

Zili is right, try anything that catches your eye. But just for information's sake, there is also a "beginner" tag for weaves. That's also a good place to start.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Permalink on Weaves Home Page?
Posted on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:36 am

This thread is very helpful when looking at the Weaves Home Page. I didn't really know what about a quarter of the tags meant, and (of course) discovered this after I was done looking through the weaves listed!

Would it be good idea to put a link to this thread (or the contents as an article) on the Weaves Home Page? I'm sure I'm not the first to look at the tags and wonder what they mean, only to discover what they mean after browsing through it.

- Z.

Submissions: 36

Posted on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:45 pm

Ivanova there is an article in the articles section with the weave definitions. You might be able to to print it off and have it ready for you when you need it.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2