Website critique please!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 243

Website critique please!
Posted on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:02 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have a new business website, it's been up for a while but It's finally public now. Very Happy It's still very much a work in progress because we're all beginners at this sort of thing. The shopping cart software at least should be working very soon, I hope. My SO Rae has been doing the bulk of the work on it just because she's awesome.

I would love it if any M.A.I.L. members would check it out and if you have any suggestions or constructive criticism please let us know at support@mailletec.com.

http://www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Submissions: 150

Posted on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:31 am

Well the typo at the second word of the site's entry page text should be corrected on the spot - but the remainder of the site looks well done. BTW: I had a problem with opening the Mesh information PDF in my browser - if this link was marked with a small PDF logo or text remark, that would imho make sense. So much for a quick peek into.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:53 am

Yeah, it's pretty obvious now that I read it through. Thank you. I'll fix it first thing in the morning.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:35 am

Here we go...
(I mean nothing by my abruptness, I'm just typing point-form here as I go... Coif LoL)

The header is nice, the colours contrast well, but the entire thing looks a little off-centre with the main body of the page... At least on a widescreen setup. I can see that the spacing is identical on either side of it, and thus it is centred... But because it's graphic on one side only, it LOOKS off centre... My advice: Keep the spacing the same as the body.

The background image, it's cute, but it changes either image or vertical alignment per page... Which leads to an annoying "texture pop-in" while the header doesn't change... It just feels weird... Also, it's a large texture, which means it takes longer to load...

The main menu items change colour when you mouse over them... The sub menu items do not...

Products -> Lighting has a ridiculous space at the top of the content... In fact, so does Products -> Special

The page shifts size when a scrollbar is not present... It's a little aesthetic thing, but you can prevent this with CSS

All in all, it's a nice clean no-nonsense site...
It's clearly based on top of an existing CMS, not coded from scratch... But the average user won't notice that... It feels like Drupal, but I could be wrong.
Be careful about giving it away via nasty nigling details... Like on the Quote Form page, having "Thu, 02/02/2012 - 17:32 admin" at the top just looks out of place.

Also, sidenote... If it's a "Free CMS" that is supposed to remain branded with a little link at the bottom of each of the pages as part of the GPL licence that you are using it under, removing that text essentially forfeits your licence to use it... Just an FYI
If it is indeed Drupal, you're safe, as they don't care... But many other software suites do... Case in point, phpBB... No Copyright Notice, No Support.

Overall site: ****/5... I'm just picking niggling details, really. Smile

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Posted on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 am

Awesome, thank you both for the tips.

The CMS is Drupal and it's a PITA trying to get it to do what we want but it's getting there slowly.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1