Celtic Strap Ring Sizes
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Celtic Strap Ring Sizes
Posted on Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:36 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have been looking into making Celtic Strap as my next project, but I am running into some confusion with the ring sizes. I am using Lorraine's tutorial on Celtic Strap and the CGI tutorial on Celtic Visions to make the first basic units.

However, both tutorials show only using 2 ring sizes, while in the weave description for Celtic Strap, 3 ring sizes are listed (1/4" 16ga, 5/32" 18ga and 3/16" 18ga rings) which have ARs of 4.2, 4.1 and 3.4, respectively. I am unsure with AR's to use for Celtic Strap. I have looked at other images in the forums or gallery that list many different AR combinations. Some applications are listing three rings sizes as being used, but I only am planning to use 2 as in the tutorial.

Long story short - I need some help with what ring sizes/ARs I should be using for Celtic Strap. I'm looking to make it in the 18g size range in stainless with rings from TRL.

Thanks!

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Yeah, ring sizes for Celtic Strap are a bit tricky. The wire diameter (WD) of the smaller rings needs to be a little smaller than the WD of the larger rings so that you can get them all in there. The small ring should just fit inside the large ring as well. My suggestion for rings from TRL in stainless would be 18g 7/32" and 19g 1/8". Those should work, but I have not tried them personally. I'd love to see a picture when you are done! Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Aluminum
Posted on Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Thank you for the response! I know rings from TRL can be different from others - so I pose another question Smile

If I wanted to make it in aluminum to practice (Bright Aluminium from TRL as well), would 18g 3/16 and 20g 5/32 work?

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Re: Aluminum
Posted on Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:50 pm

requa wrote:
Thank you for the response! I know rings from TRL can be different from others - so I pose another question Smile

If I wanted to make it in aluminum to practice (Bright Aluminium from TRL as well), would 18g 3/16 and 20g 5/32 work?

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

I'm sure those sizes won't work. You want the large ring to have an AR of around 4.8. TRL's 18g 3/16" BA rings have an AR of 4.2. That is probably too small. And 20g 5/32" BA have a outer diameter that is much too large to fit inside an 18g 3/16" ring.

I still think, even with the BA, that you should use TRL's 18g 7/32" and 19g 1/8" rings.

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:53 am

I purchased the ring sizes you suggested from TRL and I just received them: The sizes do not work. The smaller ring is a tad too small. When one smaller ring is closed in one of the first four sections, it makes it impossible to insert another in one in the other holes. The three 18g rings JUST fit in the small ring and there is no room for the bigger, outer rings to still stay in the center sandwiching the small middle ring. I hope this explanation makes sense.

I also hope that I am just doing it wrong and the ring sizes actually DO work. I am talking about the BA rings. If anyone can confirm the sizes it would be greatly appreciated. At least aluminum is cheap. Sad

Posted on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:48 am

Do you have any calipers? It would be very helpful to know if the rings are the actual size and AR that TRL says they are. It always makes me feel AWFUL when I suggest a size that doesn't work. I make my own rings, and can only go by what the site says the rings dimensions actually are. Sad

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:01 am

No, I don't own any calipers, so I guess I wouldn't be able to check the actual size. I should look into getting some.

Don't feel bad - I will try to find another weave that I could be able to use those size rings for, I'm sure there is something.

Posted on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:12 am

requa wrote:
No, I don't own any calipers, so I guess I wouldn't be able to check the actual size. I should look into getting some.

Don't feel bad - I will try to find another weave that I could be able to use those size rings for, I'm sure there is something.

Calipers are really not that expensive and really come in handy. And yes, I'm sure you can find something to do with the rings. That's what is great about maille. Smile

Lorraine's Chains

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1