Suplier Glowing Rings 1,2mm or 1mm AR around 3,9 OR 6
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 16

Suplier Glowing Rings 1,2mm or 1mm AR around 3,9 OR 6
Posted on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:54 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I had the crazy idea to make some Dragonscale-Bracelets with glowing rings. I would prefer the rings as the smaller ones, but if there would be no other choice, I would also consider them big ones.
But I only saw them with really big wiresize - around 1,8mm. I don't really know a lot of shops, because I don't usually order rings (and the shipping make them mostly uninteresting) but I would really happy to know if there is a supplier for;
1,2mm or 1mm wire size rings, AR of around 3,9 or 6

Submissions: 36

Posted on Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:23 am

I know that TRL sells glow in the dark wire if you make your own rings. If they sell the wire I would also guess that they sell it in ring form as well, but I admit that I have never checked.

Edit: just searched TRL for their glow in the dark enameled copper and I don't see it anymore, but I did find glow in the dark rubber rings. http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=1000&page=1&Keyword=glow%20in%20the%20dark&category=ALL&highprice=&lowprice=&allwords=glow%20in%20the%20dark&exact=&atleast=&without=&cprice=&searchfields=

Hopefully this will help in your search.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:51 am

MusicMan wrote:
I know that TRL sells glow in the dark wire if you make your own rings. If they sell the wire I would also guess that they sell it in ring form as well, but I admit that I have never checked.

Edit: just searched TRL for their glow in the dark enameled copper and I don't see it anymore, but I did find glow in the dark rubber rings. http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=1000&page=1&Keyword=glow%20in%20the%20dark&category=ALL&highprice=&lowprice=&allwords=glow%20in%20the%20dark&exact=&atleast=&without=&cprice=&searchfields=

Hopefully this will help in your search.

Bernice talks about why they don't carry the GITD EC anymore here
And about the rubber GITD rings here.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:08 am

Didnt even know glow in the dark wire even exists ^^ sad that the glow wasnt that good.

I checked trl first, but they only sell 1,8mm and 1,7mm wire diameter rings... too high for my taste, especialy for dragonscale jewellry.

Submissions: 296

Posted on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:29 pm

i've worked with trl's glow in the dark rubber rings for a long time now. i've tried to find other suppliers but had no luck. i've contacted manufacturers that make rubber rings and they all say that glow in the dark is a special order that would be ridiculously expensive even at mass quantity levels. trl remains my only viable option.

Posted on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:24 pm

mithrilweaver wrote:
i've worked with trl's glow in the dark rubber rings for a long time now. i've tried to find other suppliers but had no luck. i've contacted manufacturers that make rubber rings and they all say that glow in the dark is a special order that would be ridiculously expensive even at mass quantity levels. trl remains my only viable option.

Hrmpf, the price of a special hobby can be sad.... normal rubberrings will have to do.

But if ever ajyone hears otherwise, i would be interested

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:42 pm

I was surprised to see that the glow in the dark rings are ten times the price of regular rubber rings, by the ounce. Similar to Niobium, in fact. The only saving grace, perhaps, is that the glow-rings would of course need to be used in conjunction with another material, thereby lowering somewhat the overall cost of the project. Perhaps they would mix well with BA, the aluminum reflecting some of the color...

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:18 pm

I bought some of the glow in the dark rubber rings to use with black AA for a purse. Sadly I'll have to sell it for $150 or so just to get my money back out of it. We'll see if that happens. It's in my "to be finished" project box because I have to finish the strap... Razz But yeah, the glow in the dark are way expensive comparatively.

Submissions: 0

GITD Rings
Posted on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Just to throw in my two rings worth. . .

So far, TRL is the only place that I have found that supplies them. If anyone happens to know of another supplier, I'd love to hear about it! I do stretch jewelry to sell at cons (for now) and the GITD are great draws at the raves. It does jack up the cost of the item though because they are a lot more expensive than the EPDMs, so you have to be careful to balance things right. One of the things I like is that I can assure my customers that these rings are latex free.

As a side note. I've noticed a few things to keep in mind. The green, and purple versions don't have as good a glow factor though the orange isn't too bad, but they do seem to be a little more durable than the white and blue. The white and blue glow like crazy!

Also, the rings last longer if you ensure that you have no burrs or sharp edges on your metal rings. I buy pre-cut rings and I always order the saw cut to help avoid the possibility of the metal rings cutting into the rubber rings.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:41 pm

This is more going back to Kleriker's original post but parawire carries a wire it calls "night glow" in "20 gauge" (I can only presume that's about 0.8mm since they don't list their wire diameters). I'm not sure how well it glows or if it would even suit as it's smaller than what you were looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there as perhaps an option.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:33 pm

Jax25 wrote:
This is more going back to Kleriker's original post but parawire carries a wire it calls "night glow" in "20 gauge" (I can only presume that's about 0.8mm since they don't list their wire diameters). I'm not sure how well it glows or if it would even suit as it's smaller than what you were looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there as perhaps an option.

I bought a spool of that a couple of years ago... I've never used it.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:49 pm

Jax25 wrote:

0,8mm would work well, too, i just didn't include it because i thought it wouldn't be out there (and also because i like my 1mm stainless wire more then my0,8mm ^^) will keep that in mind Smile

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Jax25 wrote:

Parawire's "Night Glow" should be functionally the same as the GITD Enamelled Copper that TRL used to carry...

AVOID AVOID AVOID

It glows for about 30 seconds, and very poorly at that... At least, the TRL wire did.

lorraine: Charge your spool up with a few camera flashes, or under a desk lamp for a while... Then carry into a dark room (bathroom works well) to verify... But I suspect it glows poorly for a short period of time.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1