Earthquakes
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 13

Earthquakes
Posted on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:32 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I've lived in Oklahoma all 26 years of my life, and I never experienced an earthquake until last night. It was one of 3 earthquakes since 2:15am Saturday. Then last night just before 11pm, and I was told there was a third at 3:39am this morning.

According to USGS, the quakes were located 6 miles north of Prague, OK, about 90 miles west of us. I only felt the one last night just before 11pm, but it scared the bejeebus out of me. My glasses were clinking in the kitchen cabinets, along with the entire house vibrating.

This is just too crazy to comprehend. I'm not prepared for earthquakes! I never imagined I'd ever have to worry about it!

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:12 pm

I live in Germany, every earthquake I experienced were when I was a kid (slept through the other ones like a stone) and I found them quite fun ^^
But I can see that this would not be fun if you never experienced them as a child (and I don't think if I could enjoy an earthquake as much as when I was a child).

I got curious and googled Oklahoma and Earthquakes a bit, it seems there was one 'noteworthy' earthquake about a year ago, too (oct. 13th 2011 [I hope I wrote the date in the right order? ^^). The one you experienced had a magnitude of 4,7 and the one a year ago of 4.0... those are very small quakes (earthquakes between 3 and 4 are noticeable for humans, everything beneath 3 is considered to be only noticeable through masuring them). Maybe this information helps, those quakes aren't really a danger as more a sort of discomfort. Don't think you really have to worry about them.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:10 pm

i live in west virginia, and i slept through the only earthquake that has ever happened here in my lifetime. Rolling Eyes

“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we cant decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. What we can't read we call gibberish. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.”
-Chuck Palahnuik

Submissions: 11

Posted on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:11 pm

I grew up in Oregon and lived 2 years in California and still, I've never been awake during a noticible earthquake...except for a very small one when I was in college. I was sitting in my desk chair (which rocked very easily) and all of a sudden it rocked. I went to the USGS site and there had been a 2.7 off the coast of Oregon.

We just had one a couple months ago here in Virginia but I was out working on one of the Norfolk shipping terminals and didn't feel a thing. Seems like the earth is getting pretty restless of late.

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:33 pm

indeed i felt it here in MO, actualy made me get out off my but and go "HUH, that felt like a erthquake." looked it up a short time later and shure enough. i lived in Cali fro a few years so it a omnios reminder of that time. my step mom thought it was the trains that hook up down the road here. they shake the house too, but in a totaly diffrent way.

Prague? i'll have to look up that area. aint that ware the underground ocean (lake) is.

even a small magnatude quake if it duration is long enough can do alot of damage. the shear s-waves can lead to harmonic vibration for the duration. s-waves are slowe thru rock then the p-wave, but as a tranvers wave they can polerize sh-wave and sv-waves, and convert into p-waves. one would thing that even the p-waves can be acconted for the same.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:46 pm

I was asleep at the time, but my girlfriend who lives about 45 miles south of me called me at the time all excited (not a good excited) about it, and my parents here in town felt it as well. Even heard that people further north felt it a bit, as well. We're in Kansas.

Interesting bit of trivia I found in my looking into earthquakes this morning. Earthquakes east of the Rocky Mountains here in the USA can be felt up to ten times as far away from the epicenter as equivalent magnitude quakes west of the Rockies.

Earthquakes @ USGS

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 15

Posted on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:34 pm

I live in East Texas and although I didn't feel it (I was asleep) a lot of my friends said it shook their house a bit. I couldn't believe we could feel it all the way down here Surprised

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:02 am

I live about, oh, 2 blocks from the Hayward Fault in California. We've had 3 ~4.0 earthquakes over the past week and a half, and a 3.2 just yesterday. All had epicenters under 5 miles from my house; 2 of the 4.0's were under a mile away. They may be "very small" according to some, but try living on top of them on ground that isn't totally solid/rock. Razz Basically I live in earthquake country and feel them all the time. The largest we had recently was a 5.0 a few years ago, which I was on the 5th floor of a building for. That was fun.

Earthquakes are not that bad, but I've grown up on them. Additionally, when you live where I do, the building codes for earthquakes are really heavy duty, and we have a emergency supply and food cache for if a "big one" hits. But it has given me an appreciation for houses built not on soft ground.

I tend to wake up to them, but I think that's a trained response. I live in an old house, so I have a tendency to get up and check all the pipes and such for cracks before going back to sleep. Rolling Eyes The habit is good, but doing it at 5:30am last week was not fun. Keep us posted on how Oklahoma does!

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:56 am

A few months ago we felt a 6.0 at work. My chair started rolling around and I thought someone was pushing me around.

It was the one with the epicenter near DC I think, where water was splashing out of peoples pools and pictures were falling off the walls at the capitol building.

kind of a cool queasy feeling, but it was only cool because there were no injuries. Injuries and lots of damage during an earthquake isn't good at all.

Submissions: 13

Posted on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:00 am

MaxumX wrote:
Prague? i'll have to look up that area. aint that ware the underground ocean (lake) is.

I have no idea. The only reason I know where Prague is, is because my husband was born there and he has some family that still live there.

See, this is what I was looking for: some input from people that have experienced earthquakes. Thanks for the reassurances and info. Smile

Submissions: 296

earthquakes
Posted on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:07 pm

i grew up miles from the san andreas fault. i seem to recall a 6.7 on my birthday one year - that was the biggest. there have have been countless 3-4 and probably ten x 4-5 earthquakes. the 6.7 was so memorable because every dish on the tile counter shattered and windows broke. as an adult now, i get really excited when i experience an earthquake (usually on a visit back to cali). but, now i live in wisconsin and we don't get any here. i can understand how your first 4.7 would scare you though.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:17 am

*shrug* I'm about 1/4 mile from the san andreas fault, lived here about 30ish years. we get 3-4 tremors a week here, and honestly, I dont even notice them anymore, unless they're pretty strong

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1