***Entries for Theme Contest 16 - Jewellery Incorporating...
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 150

Posted on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:43 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Kleriker wrote:
really nice work ZiLi, as I saw them I hoped they would be captured, because I like the art of capturing (although I'm not really good at it... yet ^^).
Don't know which one I like more Smile

Be assured - they ARE safely captured. But if wished, they can be expelled with some force, by being pushed out from the 'back' side - in fact there is no back side, for both pieces, as they are symmetrical, so even if the pendant is turned around, it looks the same.

BTW: I expelled the blue marble in the meanwhile, and had MUCH work to set another, similar sized, but red/beige marmorized marble - in the end I needed to bend a hollow cone from thin sheet metal as setting tool for the new marble, as I simply didn't want to remove and re-weave rings for setting the new marble. But I know that I had to set two new rings, if I had to expel and replace the hematite bead in the cross' center, as this one sits 'rock-safe'...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 7

Helmet weave with polymer clay beads made by my mother
Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:28 am

NINE more days to get an entry in! I'm working on mine... don't know if I'll finish it.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:49 am

Here's my entry: A choker made with Quad Captive Inverted Round using oval beads instead of rings for the captives. The rings are 1mm WD/5.0mm ID with an AR of 5.0. The beads are green aventurine. The label says they are 8x6mm, but the actual measurement is about a 1/4mm wider and longer than that. There is nothing going through the holes of the beads. They are just stuffed in there end to end. I chose oval so that the beads wouldn't roll around where you could see the holes. That would have bugged me. Very Happy I really like how the green beads look with the copper rings. The clasp is handmade.

A close-up.

The clasp with some loose beads.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:47 am

R'hllor's Vengance. This is another piece inspired by GRRM's fantasy series "A Song of Ice and Fire". This would be worn by a red priestess (Melissandra) to show their devotion to R'hllor, Lord of Light, Heart of Fire, God of Flame and Shadow.

The chocker is a Staggered Corduroy With Japanese Overlay. I used yellow for all the small connecting rings with orange and red layered rings to give the fire look. For the trails of fire I used red, orange and yellow while also incorporating swarski crystals to add bling and to give the impression of burning embers falling.

and here is a closer up pic of the persian 3-1 captured gem

[/url]

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:11 am

22ga 5/64" fused fine silver with Swarovski crystals and a sterling silver star. The clasp in the back is a sterling lobster clasp. (edited to say JPL)

Edit (ZiLi): Wahnsinnig's necklace (hosted temporarily at my site; should be submitted by her to Gallery somewhen, so I can delete it then):

Posted on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:56 am

Hi Wahnsinnig,
The picture for your contest entry is not showing up? I'm not sure why? Where is it hosted and do you have any privacy settings on it that will not allow it to be shared?

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:59 am

Contest entries will be accepted until the end of the day (midnight, I'm on the east coast of the US, EST), Monday the 19th. Get your entries in SOON!

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:41 am

lorraine wrote:
Hi Wahnsinnig,
The picture for your contest entry is not showing up? I'm not sure why? Where is it hosted and do you have any privacy settings on it that will not allow it to be shared?

I don't know what exactly is happening with her picture, but by opening it in its own tab and hitting "download attachment," I was able to open this page which I think is the picture she was trying to post.

Submissions: 46

Posted on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:47 pm

I'm in ... and here is a picture of a very normal and very ordinary bracelet:

Weaves used: byzantine, japanese 8 in 2 => Romanov Weave
Wire: 1 mm Sterling silver with an AR of 3.5 and 6
Beads: agate (in german "Achat")

I'm taking part in this contest by chance, because a friend of mine ordered this bracelet as a christmas gift for his wife.

Maille Code V2.0 T6.1 R5.2 Ep Fe4.1 MBz Wghm Cwec G0.4-1.8 I1.2-7.0 N35 Pdsa Dacdjs Xg86t13w2 S03

Posted on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:39 am

[img]
[/img]

I've seen Graduated Byzantine done with several different gauges of rings, I decided to try it will one gauge only, but with varying numbers of connecting rings. Here is the result.

Red brass rings, all 18 AWG:

1/4" with 1 connector
7/32" with 2 connectors
3/16" with 3 connectors
5/32" with 4 connectors

Swarovski Crystal Amethyst Navette and bicone.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:45 pm

I made two pairs of earrings. Small gold scales and green 18ga 3/16" rings. On left: modified "shaggy scales" with two beads at the bottom of each. On right, e4in1 diamonds ending in a box unit with scale and bead.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:59 am

My entry: A pair of earrings, inspired by the comic book storyline Captain America.

The December stars are made of 20awg 7/64" and 18awg 1/4" BA rings, with a BA eyepin to hold the crystal blue beads in. The eyepins are actually woven onto the large center ring and then through the connecting 'point' rings (so, quite literally, the beads are incorporated into the weave). The Jens Pind Linkage chains are made of red, white, and royal blue 20awg 3/32" anodized aluminum rings, with one red 20awg 1/8" anodized aluminum ring at the top to connect it all together.

(Please pardon the double image; camera phone flashes necessitated a low-glare version, though that one lacks in color contrast.)

Submissions: 15

Posted on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:24 am

Here's to throwing my noob hat in the ring:

Euro 4 in 1
24g 3/32" aluminum
11/0 seed beads

Close-up of the center dag to show the weave and the wire wrapping.

Posted on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:26 am

Aura Earrings
18g 1/4" Pink AA
20g 1/8" BA
and some little teal glass beads

[EDIT: Fixed Image -DL]

Jump to:  
Page 5 of 5. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5