40%
 40%  [ 9 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

Submissions: 0

Need help with a project for class
Posted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:11 am || Last edited by Andernerd on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:28 am; edited 4 times in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

For class, I'll be asking a few questions. It would be great if you each answered at least a few; the more responses the better. The goal is to get a basic idea of who that average maille-er is. Once I have enough responses, or if I run out of time, I'll put the responses into a chart and use it for my project. Thanks in advance!

1. Male/Female
2. How old are you?
3. In what nation do you reside?
4. Ethnicity (wondering if being descended from Europeans, the race usually associated with maille, makes you more likely to make it)
5. How many hours of work would you say it takes to complete the average hauberk?
6. How much would you expect to spend on materials when making a new shirt?
7. How long have you been doing this?
8. How many pieces have you done so far (expressed in approximate ring count)?
9. How do you find the time?
10. Why do you make maille?
11. Besides making maille, what do you do for fun?
12. Do you also make other types of armor?
13. Do you also make weapons?
14. Do you ever sell what you make?
15. What do you think of the cheap aluminum hauberks and coifs floating around, such as the ones at thinkgeek?

My responses:
1. Male
2. 17
3. United States
4. Skinny white guy
5. 200? Not sure.
6. $70 USD
7. Two years
8. ~20,000 rings
9. Riding the bus, watching movies.
10. Because I like the look of it, and I'm too cheap to buy a $100 aluminum hauberk. Instead, I'm willing to spend even more on tools and materials to make my own. Not sure I thought that through too well. Coif LoL
11. Computer games, board games, card games, fencing, reading.
12. Unfortunately not.
13. Unfortunately not.
14. Nope. Wouldn't be worth it to me.
15. I'm not sure... never seen one, so I can't really pass judgment. Hope nobody actually tries to use one as armor though... (indifferent)[/list]

Edit: added a poll, and sorry - I forgot about the chainmaille option and don't think I can change it now!
Edit again: thanks for fixing my poll, and for those of you who were wondering about the thinkgeek hauberk I mentioned here's a link: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/miscellaneous/9080/

Submissions: 153

Re: Need help with a project for class
Posted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:44 am

1. Male
2. 36
3. Canada
4. Scottish descent on all sides.
5. Take into account a 50 hour a week day job my best time has been three weeks. I guess at least 60 to 80 hours.(armor isn't my strong suit)
6. Stainless steel or less expensive material under $200 covers just about any ring size of Euro 4-1 standard for me. Some materials like galvy half as much or less(I don't work in galvy but threw it in for comparison).
7. At this point four years.
8. Impossible to tell but I have a couple million rings in bulk and maybe half as much in completed stock. The past year likely equals the previous three combined. That is some very rough math and my way of saying I will not be counting them for you.
9. I multitask. I ring during breaks at work. I spend most of my free time listening to audio books while weaving. I do lots of camping with my family and bring my rings with me. I also work shift work so on the weeks I work nights I get a fair number of quiet hours that daddy can use either early in the morning(I am usually home by 4am) or later in the day(once school starts back up).
10. I started mailling while working as a railroad conductor. I spend long days just riding train with nothing to do. I needed a hobby that wouldn't completely interfere with my ability to remain aware. We had endless supplies of wire aboard a train for rigging up busted car parts and for some reason my mind flirted with maille and I took a stab at making it from scratch. I have since moved on to a more family friendly sawmill job and have had the time and resources to pursue it.
11. I used to be a hard core computer geek. Repaired and sold PC's on the side, went to school for network engineering only to find I turned a passion into a job that I hated. Along with that though comes the gaming addiction. I do not have a great deal of time for gaming so I periodically pick and choose my gaming vices based on overwhelming appeal. For example I have recently pre ordered a collectors edition of Bioware's Star Wars MMO The Old Republic due for release at the end of this year. Now to find someone who can program a good bot so I can maille and game at the same time.
12. Nope
13. Nope
14. Yes pretty much everything is for sale.
15. I think they are great. Mostly because I don't compete by making armor for sale. What I do make is for personal use or for favors. I fight very hard to avoid requests for such large time consuming projects unless the customer is determined to part with significant money. I can easily make $5000.00 worth of jewelery stock in the 60+ hours it takes to make a hauberk. Not very cost effective for me when I am limited in hours.

Submissions: 295

Posted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:38 am

1. male
2. 34
3. u.s.
4. sicilian
5. 400
6. 1000
7. 15 years
8. about 2,250,000
9. it's my full time job
10. it calms me. the infinite new and difficult weaves satisfy my mathematical fascination. to serve others, inspire, and intrigue.
11. draw, soccer, table tennis
12. i make everything chainmaille
13. yes
14. yes
15. aluminum is great for costuming, toys, and the beginner mailler. it doesn't work well for protection though.

Submissions: 84

Posted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:02 am

1. Male
2. 27
3. Canada
4. Caucasian
5. It would vary considerably for gauge AR and material used.
6. Depends on the material, aluminum would be less then a hundred I would hope, stainless is hundreds
7. years
8. ?00 000
9. There's always more time.
10. I was slicing bread and my knife got dull.
11. Drums
12. No. I tried cutting enough marble with a file to make stone armor once but didn't get far.
13. I have but not with a forge.
14. I have
15. aluminum is for children, but you have to respect anyone who rivets.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:00 pm

1. Female
2. 33
3. USA
4. European (mostly UK/Irish)
5. Not sure since I've never made one
6. I make mostly jewelry, accessories and decor items so I'm not sure. Depends on the materials.
7. A little over 5 years
8. This is really hard to estimate. ~200,000 maybe? I tend to make lots of small projects as opposed to a few huge ones...
9. I usually mail when chatting with friends on the internet or watching TV/movies...or both.
10. Mostly because it appeals to my desire to create things. Also, because I can. Smile
11. Too many things. Writing, reading, scrapbooking, photography, travel, theatre, gaming, needlework, quilting, kayaking, camping, hiking, etc....
12. I don't generally make armor. Please remember that maille isn't just coifs and hauberks.
13. No, though I like weapons.
14. When I'm lucky.
15. I don't really think about them. On the one hand, anything that gets someone interested in maille can be a good thing. On the other hand, if those cheap items devalue well-made, high quality work, that is really annoying.

Edited to bump up my ring count. I got to thinking about all the purses that I've made and the micromaille necklaces. Razz

Posted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:35 pm

Andernerd wrote:
For class, I'll be asking a few questions. It would be great if you each answered at least a few; the more responses the better. The goal is to get a basic idea of who that average maille-er is. Once I have enough responses, or if I run out of time, I'll put the responses into a chart and use it for my project. Thanks in advance!

1. Male/Female
2. How old are you?
4. Ethnicity (wondering if being descended from Europeans, the race usually associated with maille, makes you more likely to make it)
5. How many hours of work would you say it takes to complete the average hauberk?
15. What do you think of the cheap aluminum hauberks and coifs floating around, such as the ones at thinkgeek?

OK, I'll bite, the questions seem mostly about armour, and that's mostly what I make. I don't think there is such a thing as an "average mailler," the field is just too wide. There are 16-year old jeweller hobbyists, 60 year old armourer professionals, and everything in between. Sure, ultimately they all "make mail" but that's like saying everyone at St. Martin's College "makes art."

1. Male
2. 30
3. USA
4. British
5. Depends on fitting, materials, ring size, weave complexity, inlays and trims, and a bunch of other stuff. Call it somewhere between 30-50 hours, it can be considerably more.
6. Again, depends. Also depends on currency, too. Somewhere between 100-200 USD, but again can be much more.
7. 15 years, with a couple of years off for good behaviour.
8. In ring count? Are you nuts? 2-3M, which is mildly alarming, now I think of it.
9. I fit it around a full time job and two very active little girls.
10. "If you want something done properly, do it yourself."
11. A steaming mismatch of antiquated stuff. I also read, game, write, walk, climb, hunt and play with my children.
12. Yes. Leather (in variety), other metals (in variety, tools permitting), wood, paper, plastics and rubber (rarely), fabric (arming jacks and the like), and so on.
13. Have done, although I've no forge at the moment.
14. Yes, although I would hesitate to say "make a profit" out of it.
15. Don't wear one onto the field and expect people to take you seriously.

"I think I know what I did wrong!"

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Andernerd wrote:
Edit: added a poll, and sorry - I forgot about the chainmaille option and don't think I can change it now!

Fixed that for ya...

Also, while I'm here...

1. Male
2. Younger than I seem... Older than I feel... Except first thing in the morning. (Pssst... That's 2Uber
3. Canada-Living
4. Born in England, with almost a thousand years of family history the same.
5. I don't know, never made a 'berk.
6. See Above
7. Since High-School, I suppose... So ten plus years.
8. In approx ring count? Couple of hundred thousand... Noting the discrepancies in ring count in this thread, I should mention that Jewellers ring counts will tend to be one order of magnitude smaller than armourers.
9. I don't find the time, hence I don't actually maille much... Usually at work on breaks, or late at night watching TV.
10. Everyone needs a hobby...
11. Video Games mostly... Though that implies my life on the whole isn't fun... It is.
12. I don't make any armour.
13. Nope
14. I will sometimes sell what I make... More often than not, however, I'll give it away.
15. Welcome to the modern world, I'm affraid... People will always try and find a way to replace a human with a machine... However, when it comes to the output of a machine vs a skilled human, pick two: Cheaper, Faster, Higher Quality.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:01 pm

1. Female
2. 47
3. USA
4. I don't know really. Probably a little bit of lots of different people. My skin is very pale. I'm pretty sure, way way back in the long ago, one of my ancestors migrated out of Africa and wandered off to somewhere else...
5. No personal experience with hauberks, so I don't know.
6. Wild guess... $100?
7. If "this" is making maille, about 10 years.
8. I've never counted. I don't know.
9. I'm very fortunate and lucky with my time.
10. The entire process fascinates me. From making the rings, weaving them, trying to figure out a weave, how to make it easier, figuring out how the weaves are related. All of it fascinates me and there is always something new to learn. ALWAYS.
11. I love to be outside in the garden. And I love my cats. Oh and I have one of those husband thingies too, that I love. Very Happy
12. Still struggling with my first piece of armor, a coif. I'm... slow.
13. No
14. Occasionally
15. I don't know what thinkgeek is, so you probably aren't interested in my answer, but here it is anyway. I don't like aluminum much, but if it gets someone interested in making chainmaille, I think that's a good thing. If you are under the impression that wearing aluminum chainmaille will stop you from getting hurt when someone is actively trying to hurt you... well, that's NOT good.

Oh... and I call it "chainmaille" because it's very descriptive and because it helps avoid people who think I'm talking about chain letters or spam or nonsense like that.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 16

Posted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:12 pm

1. M
2. two dozen
3. USA
4. Western European mutt; largest parts are German, Welsh, and Irish; we trace parts of our family to the Mayflower so it's all been mushed together.
5. I've made two ever, but it's been 5 years and I don't remember. My normal speed for armor-sized E4n1 is 35050 rings/hr depending on how much I want to finish something, if that's what you're looking for.
6. However much it would cost from TRL to get enough stainless rings.
7. Since 2003
8. Only 3 large single pieces (12k+), but many smaller things. See my sig for numbers I guesstimated last year.
9. I haven't made more than a bracelet in over a year, but when I feel like it I just weave instead of playing computer games.
10. I like patterns (engineer) and I like working with my hands.
11. Programming, Computer games, other hobbies that change year to year, and various sports.
12. No
13. No
14. If someone wants to buy something I've made, sure, but never again commissions for anything larger than a necklace.
15. When people buy them and see the bad closures, it gives the rest of us a bad name. But if they're machine made and not sweatshop labor, like TRL's and Knuut's welded stuff, I'm all for it. Since I'm one of those people who designs the machines, it's not putting me out of a job.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.9 R5.1 En.o Fcir MFe.s Wgm$ Cab$w G0.2-2.0 I1.2-14.1 N(many).~25 Pdjs Dacdejst Xg(many)t1w5 S03
deviantArt

Submissions: 15

Posted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:42 pm

1.Male
2.19ish
3.I reside in the US. Don't let my name fool you though, i don't live in Montana Wink
4.i think I'm descended from a bit of Norwegian and English, can't remember beyond that.
5.I honostly don't know, when working on something like that, i usually take long breaks, as in several months. A bloody long time if i remember though
6.Maybe i'm cheap, but $50 maybe (I use galvy)
7.four, going on five years now
8.i don't know how many rings i've worked in, 100,000 or maybe 200,000? I've never really been one to count rings, i just make a pile till i don't need any more.
9.During the summer, it's largely been my job, but during school, i just do it during class or whenever i'm not busy
10.I love the patterns in the chainmail, but not only that but i love watching a random pile of rings become something amazing
11.Besides mailling, i read, i write (about once a year i work on my book), play on the computer. Wow, not a whole lot in retrospect.
12.Negative Eagle one
13.Done a few knives, hopefully more and bigger in the future.
14.All the time
15.I honestly don't care about those, if people want to buy 'em, good for them. If having one piques their interest into looking more into chainmaille, even better.

"What's the point of livin' if you don't try?"
"Life goes exactly as you hadn't planned it."
"Don't look back at what might have been, and what you coulda done."

Submissions: 50

Posted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:00 pm

Andernerd wrote:
1. Male/Female

Male
Andernerd wrote:
2. How old are you?

34ish
Andernerd wrote:

United States of America
Andernerd wrote:

Mongrel. Some European, German I think, and a handful of native american are the specifics I can point out.
Andernerd wrote:

Not sure, haven't any complete experience. I started but haven't finished.
Andernerd wrote:

Not sure, haven't any complete experience.
Andernerd wrote:

Off and on probably for around a decade or so.
Andernerd wrote:

Meh, ringcount? Hmm. Haven't kept accurate track. Several thousand, I think.
Andernerd wrote:

The same way I find time for any other activity I enjoy. Sometimes it's a little bit here and a little bit there. Sometimes it's an hour or so at a time.
Andernerd wrote:

Theory, creativity, imagination, working with hands
Andernerd wrote:

Video games, read, spend time with my girlfriend.
Andernerd wrote:

I've thought about it.
Andernerd wrote:

I've thought about it.
Andernerd wrote:

I have one project to my name that I have sold for cash. I have done at least a couple of projects that were part of a trade.
Andernerd wrote:

Never have got my hands on one, but if they are anything like some of the cheap stuff I've seen at fairs and fests, it's as likely to fall apart just by wearing it, let alone hitting it with anything.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:51 pm

1. Female
2. 33
3. USA
4. Irish, Scotish, English, French, German and Ukrainian (yeah I'm a mutt)
5. I have not done this
6. quite a bit can't say for sure tho...never made one
7. 3 years now
8. couple 100 jewelry pieces made, can't say how many rings I have used
9. I'm a stay at home mom! I always have time
10. I love the look of the weaves, the feel of the metal, the pride of a job well done!
11. Read
12. no only jewelry
13. no I collect weapons
14. I have a display in a friend's shop and I occasionally will sell at shows
15. for costumes that's fine but for combat I think they need a better material

Posted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:52 am

Quote:
1. Male/Female
Male
Quote:
2. How old are you?
Just shy of 30.
Quote:
USA
Quote:
European hybrid American. In other words, white.
Quote:
No clue. I've met some that could do it in a day, it took me years.
Quote:
$100 or so, given that I buy them as I go.
Quote:
9 years, off and on.
Quote:
Depends on how you count. Probably a hundred experimental pieces. Maybe 30 that I kinda sorta like. Maybe 15 that other people like enough to take off my hands.
Quote:
I maille while watching TV.
Quote:
I've always fidgeted, and this is way to fidget and be productive.
Quote:
Debate, read, study rocks.
Quote:
Depends on the need. I don't LIKE leather armor, but I've made my entire kit minus the helm.
Quote:
No. Not yet.
Quote:
No. Not yet.
Quote:
As long as it's maille, I'm okay with it. I'm happy enough in my own life to not need to look down my nose at someone else.

Posted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:49 am

1. Female
2. 18, 19 in September
3. United States - Pacific Northwest
4. I'm a mutt haha. I'm half Italian from my dad's side, and on my mom's side I'm Mexican, Native American, Spanish (?), French, British, German (?), and a few other things. I'm very pale white.
5. No clue, I've yet to make one
6. For someone my size? Less than 200.
7. About a year
8. 40-50 probably. No clue how many rings I've used
9. School, on the train, summer, school breaks, vacations, while I lay in bed, while I watch TV, while I surf the net, etc
10. Because I love it
11. Sew, knit, draw, paint, play Xbox360, read, go on adventures with friends.
12. Not yet
13. If a flogger could count for a weapon, then yes. Very Happy I'm working on my 1st flogger.
14. Yes I do!
15. I think I'd like to either buy one and take the rings from it, or buy it and sell it for more to my brother LOL. But in all seriousness, I think it's kinda ridiculous!

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:53 pm

As an aside, since I didn't know that thinkgeek even HAD chainmail shirts until last night, I had a good laugh at the aluminum riveted shirt. What the heck is the point?? It's still aluminum. Razz

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next