Forum renders incorrectly on two different common browsers
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> M.A.I.L. Help

Submissions: 0

Forum renders incorrectly on two different common browsers
Posted on Sun May 22, 2011 5:26 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I own a laptop with a reasonably small monitor. Many sites are well-behaved enough to size to fit, but some don't. This doesn't present a problem for me, I can just scroll right.

This forum does not do that for me in Firefox (current versian 3.6) on Windows XP. There is no scroll bar; text at the right is cut off by several words, making it rather dubious to read. (On IE, the forum shrinks to fit, so that's okay, but I hate and won't use that browser.)

One could argue that Firefox is the problem here, but really, the challenge of an HTML coder is to work for all common browsers and platforms.

Just letting you know. I'm really not sure if this is a phpBB issue or a MA-specific issue; but I've never had this problem anywhere else.

Oh and also - this forum won't render properly on an iPhone (Safari). Also extra annoying. Only the top half of the page appears, so I can't use it. I have never had that issue with any other site I've visited.

Submissions: 20

Re: Forum renders incorrectly on two different common browse
Posted on Sun May 22, 2011 9:17 am

calyx wrote:
I own a laptop with a reasonably small monitor. Many sites are well-behaved enough to size to fit, but some don't. This doesn't present a problem for me, I can just scroll right.

This forum does not do that for me in Firefox (current versian 3.6) on Windows XP. There is no scroll bar; text at the right is cut off by several words, making it rather dubious to read. (On IE, the forum shrinks to fit, so that's okay, but I hate and won't use that browser.)

One could argue that Firefox is the problem here, but really, the challenge of an HTML coder is to work for all common browsers and platforms.

Firefox is particularly annoying in the way it has recently shifted how it views some of the W3 standards...
That being said, anyone here will tell you I'm particularly careful in how I code the site to ensure it is compatible with any and all major (and minor) browsers on varying OS'.
Including: IE7,8,9 Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome on Windows
Firefox, Safari on Mac OSX
Mobile Opera on the Symbian platform (though the rendering engine is common across the mobile world)

Firefox 3.6.16 Windows renders fine for me at varying zoom levels, at 1024x768... And also renders perfectly when I shrink the window to emulate 800x600 screen resolutions...
I haven't yet upgraded to Firefox 4, but I suspect it will render in a similar fashion.

Could you possibly email me and provide a screenshot? As well as a bit more information about your screen setup? "Reasonably small" can mean a lot of things... And any changes to the 'Standard' font setup under windows, or zoom levels are also important changes.
development@mailleartisans.org

Sidenote: The real challenge of an HTML Coder? Is keeping up with all the changes manufacturers keep making to their rendering engines. Coif LoL

Other Sidenote: IE9... Microsoft has been making leaps and bounds in their efforts to make a standards compliant browser... IE9 finally realizes this dream (and when the issues with the 64-bit version of the software itself and 64-bit OS' is cleaned up, it'll be perfect.)
The true test of a browser is how it renders standard websites, not how it does on the ACID tests. (Thankfully... Or we'd all be staring at Smiley Faces all day...) Browser companies got lost somewhere along the way in that regard...
I understand that IE... What was it 6? that came bundled with Win XP IS garbage... But trust me, speaking as a coder, the more recent editions, particularly the Vista/Win7 only 9 is stellar.

calyx wrote:
Oh and also - this forum won't render properly on an iPhone (Safari). Also extra annoying. Only the top half of the page appears, so I can't use it. I have never had that issue with any other site I've visited.

This, is perplexing... I know I made some changes that proved to be incompatible with the iPhone's rendering engine...
Particularly, I used some CSS3 features that the iPhone ignores... I made some changes to clean this up and was given the bill of approval by an iPhone user. (I don't personally own an i-anything, so it is rather difficult to test)
I know there is currently a CSS-issue with scrollable DIV's on the built in Android browser that its users have been clamouring about forever and a day... Android's stock response seems to be to ignore them...
The is a problem with the 'WebKit' rendering engine that Android uses... iPhone uses the same engine...

The list of badness with these engines is reported: http://www.quirksmode.org/webkit.html
The android browser's issue is with overflow: auto... Which the iPhone seems to have no issues with.

Again, without actually having an iPhone in my hand, it's very difficult to test, as it's likely responding poorly to some CSS information...
When I get back from my vacation, I'll see if I can't wrangle an iPhone user into sitting down for half an hour on a realtime chat as I tweak the CSS to see what exactly it's refusing to render.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Posted on Sun May 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Sidenote: I just made a minor change that may, or may not help your Firefox out, if you're running at a resolution less than 800x600.

Useful Links

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue May 24, 2011 3:18 pm

Crazy wonky on BlackBerry, as well. Used to work fine, but now..not so much.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. The hard part is following the line.

Posted on Tue May 24, 2011 9:38 pm

TrainWreckJohnny wrote:
Crazy wonky on BlackBerry, as well. Used to work fine, but now..not so much.

Yeah, the built in BB browser is made of wonk... It completely ignores most CSS3 functions, I believe.

You can download Mobile Opera 11 though, or so I'm told.

Useful Links

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1