The Tudors
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 3

The Tudors
Posted on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:18 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello fellow maillers,

Lately I have been infatuated by a television series called The Tudors. It's about Kingly matters in England at the time of King Henry the 7th (The Tudor lineage).

As to why I am posting a television series on a Maille related forum? Well, the medival nature of the series also brings about great costumes, chainmaille Jewelery and such.

So my question is; Has anybody on M.A.I.L seen / is watching this series besides me, and what are your takes on it?

Maybe make this a "I spotted weave 'x' on Season x Episode yy"-thread?

Right now I'm making some hp sheet chains that look suspiciously like an unnamed cardinal's (in the series) chain.

Peace peeps!

A bracelet a day keeps rsi away

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:18 am

I have seen that show a few times. but not much. There is chainmail armor in the show, yes.
Jewelry, I don't recall seeing any.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:40 am

HBO's "Rome" had tons of mail.

that lead into watching Tudor's.
It wasn't bad but I enjoyed Rome much more.

there was a lot of Mail in Rome, more Plate and Gothic designs in Tudor's it was the tail end of medieval life, to advanced for chain armor.
(and the armor is why I watched it)
Plot be Damned, that was all filler till I saw my next piece of armor. LOL

That being said, I finished Season 1 and left it at that!

Submissions: 32

Posted on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:51 am

I've been kind of curious about The Tudors, but fear that the show's costuming would scare me away.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:36 pm

Replies to several peeps:

Well the costumes aren't bad at all. Frankly, I think it all looks quite authentic!

I understand what you mean abiout the tail end. Most of the jewelery (chain based) is half persian's in insane high ID's/AR's (think shower rings). but most of the cardinals/bishops wear ropes. Full Persian, some inverted round / offset IR, and even some gridlock based weaves.

Tis true, thew plot goes downhill from season 4 onward, but I have all the footage on dvr, so I might just as well watch it all.

Never heard of the series "Rome". Is "Tudors" a spinoff of that series?

Peace peeps!

A bracelet a day keeps rsi away

Submissions: 10

Posted on Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:15 pm

The Rome series is older but no spin off! just another Historical Series.
only 2 seasons long, so its a mini series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_%28TV_series%29

but most of the jewelry i saw looked Casted with or with out Glass enameling in the main body of the jewelry.

these where the only jewelry i saw that stood out was these TUDOR collars.

more here.
http://www.pewterreplicas.co.uk/

Submissions: 294

Posted on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:27 am

I watch that show and it's pretty good on costumes and yes I've noticed the huge half persian chains too.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:22 am

I watched the whole series (most of it while building my scalemail hauberk). I get inspiration from the jewelry but will never try making that piece i seen on Anne Bolin in the 4th scene of the third episode of the 2nd season. I look at how they hang, the colors they use, what types of center piece are they hanging and how do they accentuate it.

And the series I am really waiting for starts in April. Game of Thrones. That show is going to rock. If you haven't read the books, I highly recommend them.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:44 am

I can't speak for the clothing, but the armour in "The Tudors" is horrible. It looks cheap haloween armour from Party City, and doesn't remotely resemble what would have been worn at the time.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:00 am

JoJoZerach wrote:
I can't speak for the clothing, but the armour in "The Tudors" is horrible. It looks cheap haloween armour from Party City, and doesn't remotely resemble what would have been worn at the time.

Have to second that, although I'm not an expert for this timeline (always preferd the time 50-33 bc or around 1000-1200ac). I recently saw the movie "Seasons of the Witch" and had to admit that the costumes there where pretty great. Even the Chainmaille looked real (but, like the name suggests, there are some flaws in the movie, but for a fantasy/hooror-like movie, it's pretty well made).

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1