Weave Tags
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 95

Weave Tags
Posted on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:44 pm || Last edited by Nárrína on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

This is the list so far for weave tags. The first two (family and subfamily) are still be worked on.

Family: (still being worked on as I work on weave family trees)

European
Magemaille*
Persian
Japanese

Subfamily: (still being worked on as I work on weave family trees)
Variant:
Modification:

Other tags:

Spiral
Inverted
Captive
Orbital

kinged
moibized
scaled
shaggy
berus
spiked
biased
unbalanced
progression
NSR (nonstandard rings)

sheet
3D
web
unit
radial
chain (or rope)
band (or strap)

*Magemaille might be being split off from European as its construction is based directly off of 2-1 Chain rather than any of the European weaves.

Are there any other tags people would like to see that aren't mentioned?

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Submissions: 36

Posted on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Wow you have a great list there.

I don't know if you want to include this tag, but how about 'historical'. Meaning any weave that has a historical information. I know that Lorenzo (I believe) had a couple examples of historical waeves, it may help those who belong to historical societies.

The only other one I have heard of, but haven't looked for in a while was 'Emperoring' I didn't see it in our Glossary, but remember Cynake mentioning it a couple of time.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:04 pm

I prefer "mobified" to mobized. It just sounds cooler. Cool

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:25 pm

lorraine wrote:

"mobified" does sound cooler, but would "mobiused" be a more logical choice? Or perhaps just mobius? I imagine we want to make this as intuitive as possible when people go to use it. I've never heard the terms 'mobized' or 'mobified' and am not sure they would be an intuitive choice to the the user base.

Posted on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:33 pm

MusicMan wrote:
I don't know if you want to include this tag, but how about 'historical'. Meaning any weave that has a historical information. I know that Lorenzo (I believe) had a couple examples of historical waeves, it may help those who belong to historical societies.

It can certainly be considered, although it would require additional research to implement.

MusicMan wrote:
The only other one I have heard of, but haven't looked for in a while was 'Emperoring' I didn't see it in our Glossary, but remember Cynake mentioning it a couple of time.

Emperoring is the same concept as kinging only applied to European 6-1.

lorraine wrote:

Lol, Lorraine!

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmade Artists Shop

Posted on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:53 pm

So Nárrína, a couple of things, just so I can pick your brain...
I've never really noticed Magemaille before, but it's an interesting choice for a new "Family" that takes care of a lot of the "Hybrid" problem. Magemaille isn't just Japanese because it connects rows of 2in1 chain. And it isn't European because the connections between rows are Japanese and not TE. And it isn't Persian because there are no TE/AE connections enforcing a stacking of rings in the rows. Am I seeing that the same way you are?

Also, you seem to be saying that you see Spiral not as a separate weave family, but more as a ring interaction that does not, by itself, define a weave family? Kind of like how we talk about Inverted ring interactions, but we don't use that to define its own separate family? On one hand, I like that idea. Seems like it would make classification easier. On the other hand, I find it hard to let go of the idea that a spiral interaction isn't unique enough and prevelent enough to warrant its own family. That may be because of my personal affection for spiral weaves talking though. Razz Anyway, explain your reasoning on that one for me and help me make up my mind about Spiral. Very Happy

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:02 pm

lorraine wrote:
Also, you seem to be saying that you see Spiral not as a separate weave family, but more as a ring interaction that does not, by itself, define a weave family? Kind of like how we talk about Inverted ring interactions, but we don't use that to define its own separate family? On one hand, I like that idea. Seems like it would make classification easier. On the other hand, I find it hard to let go of the idea that a spiral interaction isn't unique enough and prevelent enough to warrant its own family. That may be because of my personal affection for spiral weaves talking though. Razz Anyway, explain your reasoning on that one for me and help me make up my mind about Spiral. Very Happy

Remember, weaves will be able to have multiple tags....

So you'll be able to see: "All Spiral Weaves in the European Family" or "All Spiral Persian Weaves"

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 79

Posted on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:17 pm

to me, the difference between the common tag and the family tag is: a family can be composed purely of that interaction.

would magemaille really have a separate family and spiral not?

i feel that there is a piece of information in this anomaly.. european 4-1 is composed of 2 separate interactions. one of them is TE, the standard euro definition. the other represented grain is a second distinct interaction, evident in magemaille and inverted round.

are "web" and "sheet" the same thing?

i'm glad to see the progress you've made here, narrina. thanks for sharing with us.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:58 pm

sakredchao wrote:
are "web" and "sheet" the same thing?

The difference for me is that a "web" requires holes or spaces in the weave and a sheet requires no holes or spaces. Like the difference between Byzantine Web and Dense Byzantine Sheet.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 150

Posted on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:12 am

lorraine: My personal definition of difference between web and sheet is, that webs use additional connector rings, and sheets 're-use' one and the same ring for adjacent strips, without necessity of additional ones. And there are some inbetween ones that use additional connections for existing rings, usually also rated as sheet connection. Another part of definition is the connect direction - webs usually connect several strips of linear weaves at their ends, while sheets do that side-by-side, most times.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:34 pm || Last edited by Nárrína on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

Lorraine, I don't see Spiral as a separate weave family but as an irregular ring interaction that overrides a pre-existing family ring connection and causes (quite a number) of special case sub-families within the original family (same thing with Inverted).

Magemaille, is a bit of an anomaly. When you look at just about every other weave in European you can trace it back to an origin with European 4-1. With Magemaille you can't, it traces back directly to 2-1 Chain, same as European 4-1, Half Persian 3-1, and Japanese 3-1 all of which are considered the "heads" of their families. Also, there are other weaves and variants that can be traced back directly to Magemaille in the same way that weaves in the other families can be traced back to their "heads". This is the reason for the split. Also, there are other weaves/variants/modifications in European (and some of the other categories) that, again, can be traced back directly to 2-1 Chain, not as separate families but as sub-families and direct variants and modifications of 2-1 Chain.

Insistence is futile.

Deviant Art
Handmade Artists Shop

Submissions: 79

Posted on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:39 pm

narrina, i don't agree with you, but i like your reasons for making that decision. i like that it is controversial. i'll support it.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Spiral might not be an own weave family, but it's important enough to get an own tag, nevertheless, imho.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:46 pm

ZiLi wrote:
Spiral might not be an own weave family, but it's important enough to get an own tag, nevertheless, imho.

-ZiLi-

Absolutely.

Insistence is futile.

Deviant Art
Handmade Artists Shop

Submissions: 3

Posted on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:21 pm

MAIL has come a long way, good stuff Nárrína...although I don't care for using "Magemaille".....sounds like a weave name, just saying, through all our progress, we've managed to keep things going in a technical direction as far as classifying/organizing the database.

It's not really a huge deal, and I wouldn't oppose the designation, but maybe some discussion on it.....btw, I've tried to think of some other "base family" name since yesterday afternoon, and come up blank.....maybe something that denotes; base, simple, original, poly(hmmm, meaning combinations), prime....??

I don't know, but I felt if I didn't at least bring it up, as small an issue as it is, somewhere down the road looking back and wishing we would of at least discussed it.

A search for mage on MAIL turns up only one instance, not weave related, so Nárrína, you obviously did the homework....please don't take this as anything but constructive.....

Kodiak-

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 9. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next