error messages.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> M.A.I.L. Help

Submissions: 4

error messages.
Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:27 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Okay, so i want to post a picture of an inlay i just finished and i can't upload the image. this message keeps popping up every time i try: " ERROR: File pictures_048.jpg is bigger than the maximum upload size of 100k. " its just a photo that i took with a digital camera. i don't understand why the file is too big.

Submissions: 73

Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:34 am

If you're uploading the picture straight out of the camera, it is likely very large, and, as the error message suggests, over the size limit. Use an image editing program like GIMP to shrink the size of the photo to under 100kb, and it should work just fine.

-phong

Submissions: 153

Re: error messages.
Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:34 am

mailledemon wrote:
Okay, so i want to post a picture of an inlay i just finished and i can't upload the image. this message keeps popping up every time i try: " ERROR: File pictures_048.jpg is bigger than the maximum upload size of 100k. " its just a photo that i took with a digital camera. i don't understand why the file is too big.

Digital cameras can take huge images. Right click you image, click properties in the list, and see how large the file is. If it is too big you can simply open the image in PAINT or similar program. Usually just resizing it down to about 25% of it's size works for most restricting sites.

Submissions: 153

Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:36 am

Phong wrote:
If you're uploading the picture straight out of the camera, it is likely very large, and, as the error message suggests, over the size limit. Use an image editing program like GIMP to shrink the size of the photo to under 100kb, and it should work just fine.

-phong

GIMP works great, but if you are using Windows you have paint already, and it will take less effort.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:36 am || Last edited by CShake on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Open the file in an image editor, such as Paint, resize the image to make it smaller, and then save it again. You might also want to crop the image to just the inlay, in case you didn't do that when framing the picture before taking it. If you've noticed the board rules, you should resize it so that it is at most 800px wide, and you might have to go smaller to make the filesize dip below 100kB

If you have a program that came with your camera, it will also be able to resize and save as a jpg where you can specify the quality. Lower "quality" settings on a jpg file will also reduce file size.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.9 R5.1 En.o Fcir MFe.s Wgm$ Cab$w G0.2-2.0 I1.2-14.1 N(many).~25 Pdjs Dacdejst Xg(many)t1w5 S03
deviantArt

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:38 am

Uhm... What they all said.

I am looking into allowing files of ANY size to be uploaded, and have our upload software automatically 'shrink' the image to an appropriate size... Similar to how Facebook works.

This will hopefully be implimented soon.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 73

Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:38 am

Derailed wrote:
Phong wrote:

-phong

GIMP works great, but if you are using Windows you have paint already, and it will take less effort.

And if you want to optimize the picture, keeping the pixel dimensions large while keeping the file size down, you'll need something more advanced than Paint. Among many other things that Paint can't do, or do particularly well.

-phong

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:41 am

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=10046

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:06 am

thanks everybody, it worked out fine after i downloaded gimp.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:20 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Uhm... What they all said.

I am looking into allowing files of ANY size to be uploaded, and have our upload software automatically 'shrink' the image to an appropriate size... Similar to how Facebook works.

This will hopefully be implimented soon.

Don't know how this is handled in facebook, but I know this from meinVZ (something really similar ^^) and it's really usefull, as long as the user can see what sizes the host accepts right away... because some really like to make the most of the pictures and some automated shrinking can make the whole work meaningless ^^

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1