Newbie Introduction & Induction (Part the 2nd)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:00 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello all.

I've been lurking around here for a month or so and learned alot.

My interest was first piqued around 6 weeks ago, as me and the missus were browsing around at Michaels, and I picked up and thumbed through the book "Chained". I told her I thought I would be able to do that, and (sorry Blue Buddha) put the book down and hurried home to peruse the intarweb to learn more. Of course, M.A.I.L. was one of the first pages I found, and I have spent many hours perusing the wealth of information and tips therein.

Actually finding decent, useable rings at the retail level is a major pain, but a week or so later, the Gem Faire came to town, and we decided to see if we could find any rings there amongst the bazillions of beads and gems presented at the show. Lo and behold, I did find a booth and went nuts, buying several thousand plated brass jump rings in assorted colors and sizes. We stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up a set of 6 pliers for like $6, and a handy organizer/storage unit to separate and store my newfound hobby supplies.

My first bracelet was a fairly simple mobius chain with a bright silver coating, 8mm OD 18 gauge (0.040") ~5.6AR and toggle clasp, which the missus absolutely loved, and has had me add a few charms. This seemed too mundane to me, so I stepped it up a notch and went after a Full Persian 6-1 in copper and gunmetal of the same ring size. Boy, what a challenge that was to get started. the first inch and a half took several hours, but then I started to "get it" and banged out the remainder of the 8-inch length in only about 2 more hours work. I then duplicated the same bracelet, only using the gunmetal, and bright silver plated rings, and in a couple of hours had an even better version of the first one.

My next project was a Half Persian 4-1, (again using the aforementioned ring types), this time in gold and silver colored rings. This one almost killed my new hobby getting it started. Again, several hours over a few days time netted me only a couple inches of chain, until I then again "got it" and finally quit flip-flopping back and forth and putting together the weave improperly, and flew through the rest of what became a very nice necklace in short order. When finished, I followed others advise and clipped the first couple inches off the chain and threw it in the hobby kit/box so I didn't have to endure that brain damage again next time I attempt that weave.

Now my 8mm (OD) ring supply was nearly exhausted, so I moved on to the 6mm (OD) "18g 0.040" (~AR3.9) rings, which I had several in silver, gunmetal, and a earthy-greenish-enamelly- coated color. I found the Byzantine weave to be quite easy, and banged out two bracelets in the gunmetal/silver combination, both being opposite the other in the color placement. (one had silver connectors with gunmetal "wings" the other had silver wings with the gunmetal connectors.) I also did a couple pairs of 2-unit earrings to match.

I then needed to do something with the earthy-greenish-enamelly-colored rings, so I went after something a little more substantial and beefy that I could wear, and decided on a Captive Roundmaille. During construction, I had my doubts about how it would turn out, especially since while weaving roundmaille, you really can't envision the final product until you are "sewing it up" on the fourth and final pass. I must say, even with the icky color of the rings, this bracelet turned out very nice, and seemed to be the favorite of my coworkers when I took the whole collection to work for show-and-tell.

I am now almost out of rings, and awaiting a substantial replenishing order from TRL. I ordered the AA sawcut jewelry kit, a couple ounces BA rings of the same size (i don't remember exact, but the AR was ~4), a 3-hacky kit, and some Ti rings to do the 1-ring size hacky posted here.

So, that's me. Sorry for the wall of text, that seems to be how I post on forums. I have pictures I would have liked to add to this post, but I am really bad about actually getting them out of the camera and hosted on the web, maybe next day or two I'll work that out and post in the Gallery looking for feedback/criticisms. Also looking forward to contest #18, maybe I'll see if I can't make a submission for that, once the theme is finalized. (I'm leaning towards four seasons myself atm Wink )

Thanks for the hard work by all involved to make M.A.I.L. a great destination for aspiring and veteran maillers alike.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:05 pm

I'm just going to throw this out there since I don't know where else to begin.

Hiya, my name's Alex. I run a small local business in my room making and selling chains for friends and whoever else wants them ^.^

I'm not the newest person to chain maille, but I definitely haven't been making it for too long. I think the first piece I ever made was about...Six months ago or so. Since then, I've done quite a bit, with a wide varitey of weaves and colours.

Hope to meet you all!

~Gin

Posted on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:10 am

Just wanted to say that this site is the most helpful and idea inspiring site I have found. I just started making chains with in the last couple of months, but it has quickly become something that I am really loving.
I had worked on some maille in college, but it was just a sheet and it drove me crazy. Now fast forward 15 years and I found a much more user friendly way to create with rings.

I hope to keep learning and glad to be a part of this forum.

Thanks, Stephen M2

Newbie reply
Posted on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Top of the mornin to ya! cant wait to start my apprenticeship in the art of chain mail.

Posted on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi all,

Long time lurker, but finally sat down and joined this morning, so a very belated thanks for all the help over the past few years! (like I said -- very long time lurker Very Happy )

Kim

Posted on Tue May 01, 2012 7:42 pm

Guess I should do this the right way! If you don't like my company, go ahead and jell at Jax since it's her fault I'm here. It's also her fault I'm a fan of Diana Gabaldon but it's not her fault that I write stupid linguistic errors. After all, I'm not a native English speaker but I do my utmost best.

Jax and I have been knowing each other for almost ten years now and met online. She gave me a birdcage weaved bracelet Slytherin style about six years ago and I love it so much I'm afraid to wear it in case I'd lose it.

I'm also an ex-smoker and strangely enough, the hunger for cigarettes has been growing again so I wanted to do something with my hands to keep them occupied. And so it began. Jax has been so kind to get me started and I'm still very much in the learning process.

Oh yes, other than the above, I should say that I live by myself on a first floor appartement, I'm a Blackadder fan and I'm a bagpipe player. We have practice two nights a week and during competition time it'll be three times a week so my apologies if I disappear for a long while.

Cheers

Submissions: 11

Posted on Thu May 03, 2012 12:21 am

Oh dear, I'm getting the blame for Piper's future bad behaviour? By that token, I think she should take the blame for mine. It seems only fair. Very Happy

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu May 03, 2012 12:37 am

I blame Jax... and I always will. Razz

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 11

Posted on Thu May 03, 2012 12:40 am

It's okay. Everybody does. Razz

Hey there!
Posted on Sat May 05, 2012 4:39 pm

I bought a chainmail necklace kit from Amazon on a whim, and I am totally hooked! I was going to buy a book on chainmail jewelry, but in the reviews I saw several people talking about this website, so I decided to check it out, and needless to say, I'm glad I did. I have a feeling I know what most of the people I know are going to be getting for Christmas!

Newbie to the forums
Posted on Sat May 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi,

My name is Amatullah. I am a Brit living in Egypt (5 years this month Very Happy) I first learned about chain maille about 5 years ago but was too scared to touch it.

I made my first piece about 4 years ago. I know Byzantine and Shaggy (I dont know if there is another name for this) and have pretty much stuck to it in Sterling silver and sometimes anodised aluminium. (See avatar Very Happy)

I now want to learn some of the harder weaves and saw a fantastic tutorial via Google and decided to join properly rather than lurk.

Thanks for having me!

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sun May 06, 2012 10:14 am

Hi Very Happy

My name is Samantha and a true newbie. Tried to make my own rings by twisting wire around a pole but the opening of the rings almost broke my hand. Used ancient thongs/nippers. So then I decieded to just buy the rings, much easier but it still feels like cheating in a way.

Oh and my English isn't that great, I'm Dutch but have an Irish godmother so I'll try to do my best Wink

Anyway I think I was always interested in chainmail, as a kid we visited the castles and knights and wondered how the mail could stay in shape.
What else can I say, I hope I'll be able to make those fantastic shapes!

-Sam-

Posted on Tue May 08, 2012 2:33 am

Hey everyone, I'm very new to working with chain maille, so far I've only made a dice bag for my girlfriend (still trying to perfect the closure). I plan on making larger items one day. I am the chainmail rep of the local leatheworker's guild, which is very small and new, so hopefully I can learn a lot more before people start tapping me for projects.

I really just registered because I'd like to buy some pre-crafted items so I can take a look at style and weaves in real life, since looking at it on a screen really doesn't compute in my brain.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue May 08, 2012 2:44 am

chelatek wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm very new to working with chain maille, so far I've only made a dice bag for my girlfriend (still trying to perfect the closure). I plan on making larger items one day. I am the chainmail rep of the local leatheworker's guild, which is very small and new, so hopefully I can learn a lot more before people start tapping me for projects.

I really just registered because I'd like to buy some pre-crafted items so I can take a look at style and weaves in real life, since looking at it on a screen really doesn't compute in my brain.

The best thing to do is just dive right in and make anything that appeals to you. You will learn tons and it will make you proud of what you have accomplished. Welcome to MAIL!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 2

Introduction
Posted on Tue May 08, 2012 11:02 am

Hello dear sirs and sirresses

I'm a 20 year old student from the Netherlands hoping contribute to this league. I have looked around a bit before posting this, hoping to be able to relate myself to the people here.

I'm a beginner in mail, having tried a range of simple techniques, the biggest problem i faced was material availability. For now, I have only once purchased some shiny alu wire which turned out to be very very soft. The results were some very nice, but very fragile neclacei and braceleti for my (now) ex-girlfriend. So, on that front I have little to contribute.

I've been gathering soda can tabs for some 8 years now (out of sheer boredom) and only recently started crafting stuff (without any mail involved). I haven't really finished any big projects so i don't have anything jet to account for. However I did experiment with some weaves that i haven't found here jet.

As a student I work with a 3-D render/modeling program called Solidworks, and this could be used to add more and clear imagery to existing or upcoming tutorials, and I believe that that would be my best shot at contributing.

-Guido

Jump to:  
Page 26 of 71. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 69, 70, 71  Next