Newbie Introduction & Induction (Part the 2nd)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:06 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I lurk, therefore I am. I've been reading everything and drooling over pictures. I registered a long time ago but forgot about the site until recently. Now, I'm the one reading at work in between inbound calls and playing with pliers.

Submissions: 36

Posted on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Welcome everyone. I wish you luck in your new addiction. Remember you don't learn if you don't ask!

Hey! this is my 1000 post! Surprised Very Happy

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 20

Posted on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Beadwench wrote:
Now, I'm the one reading at work in between inbound calls and playing with pliers.

Reading at work? Scandalous! Coif LoL
Says the guy who Reads from work, posts from work, mailles at work, codes the site from work, and hangs out in the MAIL Real Time Chatroom from work...

Laptops are the bestest Very Happy

MusicMan wrote:
Hey! this is my 1000 post! Surprised Very Happy

Congrats!

And welcome! Everyone!
(Except not MusicMan... He's been here awhile Razz)

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 150

Posted on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:45 pm

MusicMan wrote:
Hey! this is my 1000 post!

Then wait for your 1001st one - you'll earn the full set of triplets then - and advance to the 'Ancient Forge' level. Welcome. Very Happy

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:07 am

Zili I see that now. Does that mean I have to know what I am talking about? better watch what I say now.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:46 pm

So is there a record anywhere as to the post/advancement of profile status? I see I'm a ringlet now and am just wondering at what stages that changes. Not that it'll make me post a whole lot more but it'd be cool to know.

Posted on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Falzoon wrote:
So is there a record anywhere as to the post/advancement of profile status? I see I'm a ringlet now and am just wondering at what stages that changes. Not that it'll make me post a whole lot more but it'd be cool to know.

It's a seeeecret Very Happy

I guess it's not really... Except for the levels that nobody's hit yet:

Ringlet @ 0 - 2,466
Kibitzer @ 16 - 321 Members
Senior Kibitzer @ 36 - 112 Members
Voice @ 51 - 171 Members
Big Voice @ 101 - 143 Members
Major Voice @ 251 - 73 Members
Grand Master Speaker @ 501 - 51 Members
Ancient Forge @ 1001 - 38 Members
Uber Mouth @ 3001 - 4 Members

Non Posting Members: 8554

Useful Links

Posted on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:59 pm

Huh, not as chainmail-y sounding as I originally pictured. Sounds like I need to get to 1001 posts and retire unless the "undiscovered" titles are equally impressive as "Ancient Forge". If that's the case then I guess I'll just have to become a permanent addition to these forums. Somebody, please beat me to it... that's a lot of posts.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:02 pm || Last edited by ZiLi on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Falzoon wrote:

OK, DL didn't tell - I won't as well. [Hehe, a rhyme] Very Happy

Edit: Oops - when I did my reply, DL's whole post wasn't visible for me - just the intro line. So my comment may be ignored - except the one showing a level theoretically reachable...
BTW: NOBODY here reached that yet (that was visible once due to a database hiccup)... <grins>

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:11 pm

Ya, DL posted the structure of advancement through posting all the way up to 3001 (Uber Voice) but he also mentioned that there were some levels as yet undiscovered by the general populace. If they sound as cool Ancient Forge then they may be worth trying for otherwise I'll just drag myself up to the 1000-3000 range over the next few years. And trust me, I know how naive that statement sounds... 1000 posts is a tremendous amount of literature but I just recently became hooked on chainmail again. Finished my first saleable item last night (6 hrs, 22" full persian necklace in 18g 1/4" Ano. Alum.) Brought it to work with me today and got half a dozen orders on the spot, kind of inspiring.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:15 pm

Falzoon wrote:
I'll just drag myself up to the 1000-3000 range over the next few years.

Don't worry so much about the post count. If you are active in the community, you'll get there eventually. If you have something useful to add to a conversation, then add it. If you have a question, then ask it. (Oh, and posting pics of your work is good, too) But otherwise, don't work towards JUST getting posts. That won't help anybody.

Posted on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Ya, no worries about useless posts. If that was my goal it wouldn't take me a couple years to get to 1,000 but rather a weekend of mind numbing useless posts. I fully intend to provide value once I've learned enough to do so and ask questions relentlessly until I'm at that point.

Speaking of which, I've been browsing through the site quite a bit but don't think I've found a ring count estimator. Essentially a table or tool that will estimate how many rings of a given size it would take to make a weave of a defined length/area. This would mostly be valuable for people making jewelry weaves in a uniform pattern (mixing weaves or graduating the ring sizes would make this difficult). I started making one so I know how many rings I'll need when making estimates to potential buyers.

Posted on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Falzoon wrote:
Speaking of which, I've been browsing through the site quite a bit but don't think I've found a ring count estimator. Essentially a table or tool that will estimate how many rings of a given size it would take to make a weave of a defined length/area. This would mostly be valuable for people making jewelry weaves in a uniform pattern (mixing weaves or graduating the ring sizes would make this difficult). I started making one so I know how many rings I'll need when making estimates to potential buyers.

You'll find that gets unwieldy in a hurry... For one or two weaves, in one or two ring sizes, sure...
Once you have 3 dozen rings sizes, and 20+ weaves at your disposal, exponents come into play.

Also: Not really the right thread for this discussion Very Happy Don't be affraid to start threads!

Useful Links

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:39 am

Hello all,
My name is Laura and I am new to the art. I just got into this hobby about two months ago. I saw a really cool belt and figured I wanted to make my own. So...here I am. I feel lucky to find this site so early into it. It has already inspired me to buy more rings in more sizes and colors. I will have to take pictures and post my first project. It was a simple spiral chain but I am proud! I look forward to leaning from everyone here.

Posted on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:28 pm

welcome sweetjane we look forward to seeing what you have created.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 70. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 68, 69, 70  Next