Urgent! Help with stranded wire?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 2

Urgent! Help with stranded wire?
Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:05 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Urgent is because I need the stress of not knowing to STOP Mad !... and I need to make my order! Also put in knitting circle cus no one goes in the wire art area Rolling Eyes ....

I want to buy this 13 piece fan set from FMG's http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?pn=A293694NB. And I need to know if this stranded wire would work for them, http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?pn=H202326BS, will it? And would it work for seed beads 11/0, or is it too big?

I also have no clue what to buy to make 'ends' to the stranded wire, witch then would be connected to chainmail?

Thanks in advance!

BigTitann,

Submissions: 73

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:04 am

Moved thread to Wire Arts because that's where it belongs.

-phong

Submissions: 4

Re: Urgent! Help with stranded wire?
Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:15 pm

BigTitann wrote:
Also put in knitting circle cus no one goes in the wire art area Rolling Eyes ....

I just look at all the new posts from when I last visited. I don't pay attention to what area I'm in. It may not be that less people visit wire arts. It may just be that less people have experience (or interest) in wire arts and so they don't comment.

Basically, you want to know if the wire you linked will fit in the holes of those beads? Why don't you just ask them? They have a customer service. The beads look big enough, I think they should fit normal beading wire.

How to end the wire? This is from FMG's website:
Quote:
Beading wire should be used with crimp beads.

I.e. Stick a crimp bead on, make a loop, crimp, use loop to connect to maille. At least, that's what I would do.

As for the 11/0 seed beads, I can't find anywhere that says what size hole is in them. I've seen one reference to using 28g wire, but that doesn't help us any. The wire you wish to use is approximately 26swg or 25awg. If anyone has some 11/0 beads and wants to test wires on them, that would be helpful. Or if someone just knows, that'll work too. I'll keep looking though.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:32 pm

Alright, I've found another site that says 22g copper and 24g steel wire will fit into most size 10 or 11 beads. I'm guessing that means you should be fine with the wire you're looking at.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:20 pm

you could send them an email. you will likely get a response to the size in wire gauge but it will give you an idea if you need to come up on some wire that will fit.

Posted on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks for the help.

BigTitann,

Submissions: 5

Posted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Big T, those stones may be too heavy for 7-strand wire. I would use 49 strand wire and then the tornado crimp beads, 2x2 or 2x3. I second calling the customer service and asking how big the holes are. You may be able to get 18 or 20g wire through there and then just loop the ends to more seamlessly join to the necklace part. Just saying, cuz I've made pieces with wire-chainmaille and they never hang quite right.

Posted on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:50 pm

I have already ordered the shipment. Froggz helped me on FB right after posting this. I got the http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H202657BS Wire instead because it was stronger then the Tigertail wire. If needed I can double the line back for a stronger hold. I also plan to use the 2 outside stones for earrings.

BigTitann,

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:05 am

ooh, make sure you post a pic when you're done. you have me intrigued. i've never been able to come up with a design for a set of beads like that which has satisfied me. i'd love to see what you make out of it.

Posted on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:54 pm

Will do! Won't be for a while though.

Bigtitann,

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1