help with bag
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

help with bag
Posted on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:46 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

help with bagHello. I am new to this but having a lot of fun with it. I am having a little trouble finding "how to" info for the newbe. I have made a sheet of e4 about 10x20 and want to make a bag out of it, i want to make a round bottom on it but have no idea how to go about it. Do I join the edges first? is it better for the collum rows to run horizontal or vertical? should I scrap it and start over?bag help thanks for any help.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:06 pm

Welcome! Glad you're having fun with it--that's what this hobby is all about. Smile

I would think that how you finish the bag will dictate which way you orient it. Personally, I'd close the ends and do contractions at the bottom until I filled in the circle. Then, I'd put in some stiff leather (because I happen to have this lying around; you can skip this part) to make it more rigid. Tie it off at the top with a bit of rawhide.

That's just one option, though. You can also make long-ish triangles of E4-1 and join them together, making a much longer, narrower bag. Or you could make the bottom out of Japanese Dragonscale. Or you could do something REALLY weird. At this point you have a lot of options, none of which are wrong.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:09 pm

close off the sides and make an expanding circle that has the same number of rings in the last row as the last row of your tube. Just stitch them together and add a string at the top to close it with and your done.
EDIT: http://mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=5819

Submissions: 36

Posted on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:53 pm

Personally I like to make the E4-1 tube and than make a circle, look at how to make a coif, and than attach them together. I have to run, but I will try to find more info for you if you would like.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 2

Posted on Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:26 am

I believe the best way is to make an Expanding circle until it has the same number of rings around as the side of the sheet. Then attach one end of the sheet to the circle. And continue around until it is fully connected.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1