Wire Knots other than turk's head (May become pic intensive)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 4

Wire Knots other than turk's head (May become pic intensive)
Posted on Fri May 28, 2010 1:26 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Anyone here tried specific decorative knots other than Turks head?

such as, perhaps, the cobra stitch, aka Solomon Bar?

I attempted this particular knot in some of TRL's 24 AWG 316 stainless, and the results were rather good... once i got the hang of it Razz (in the following pic, you cannot see the messed up parts, but there are some pretty messed up loops which occurred before i got the knack of it)
Before the pic, though, I also attempted this knot in a "seamless" ring form, where i interlocked the strands with the end of the "core" and thus made the ring begin as a ring with twin strands hanging off it, which were then knotted in the same fashion as the stainless was, but now with dead soft electrical copper, which my Grandfather (i was at his house for dinner, and he gave me the wire) referred to as "thermostat wire". it seems about 23 AWG. It came out better than i had predicted, though i miscalculated the amount of wire required, so it only covered about 4/5 of the core.

without further ado, here are two pics. the first with the stainless bar and copper ring, and the second with only the ring on my finger.
and for some reason the stainless looks comp generated, lol.

any comments on it? i'd be more careful on my 2nd try and i was being rather rough with the copper on this, which already began to work harden from stripping it.

and any other knots ppl have tried, or wanna see tried?

... there's no way that i'll try a sinnet knot, btw XD

Submissions: 150

Posted on Fri May 28, 2010 1:57 am || Last edited by ZiLi on Fri May 28, 2010 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Maybe try the Chinese Snake Knot (Tutorial), that should work well with soft wire, preferably using two different metals. I did this in paracord only, so I cannot show wire examples or even know whether it's doable in wire. I must try that somewhen with a length of Nb wire that is anodized in two differently colored halves to make a small key marker (with a loop on top) or so.

But wireworking is something yet to be explored by me...

Edit: If that looks complicated, train with paracord, or scooby-doo strings first, to get accustomed with that one. And THEN switch over to wire. And when looking back into my Paracord/Lanyard repertoire 'of a former life', I see a couple of things that should work with wire as well - softer (anodized) Aluminium wires or even Nb should work with most of them. And I wouldn't worry about soft Copper at all.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Fri May 28, 2010 2:02 am

i will not lie when i say that that looks difficult, lol.

but i'll try it and i'll post a pic if it works

EDIT:

hmm... it worked rather well...

infact, due to the work hardening of the stainless (used the same as the comp generated looking one above), the loops cannot tighten completely, so there was no need to loosen them to get the strands through.

it did, however, seem to gain a natural spiral to it from the wire. (and i checked a few places other than the tutorial you linked to be safe that i was doing it correctly.)

srry image isnt perfect. no natural light at this hour (as opposed to when the prior two were taken), and havent built a light box yet.

it looks like the snake knot, though, may have potential in earrings and as a pendant with this spiral to it... assuming i did it correctly Razz

Submissions: 95

Posted on Sat May 29, 2010 8:07 pm

You could also try looking up different macrame knots (something I've been contemplating doing). I'm sure that with the right wire gauge you could get those knots to work for wire-work.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Posted on Sat May 29, 2010 9:38 pm

Nárrína wrote:
You could also try looking up different macrame knots (something I've been contemplating doing). I'm sure that with the right wire gauge you could get those knots to work for wire-work.

hmmm... according to what i'm finding on macrame knots, the above stated "solomon bar" or "cobra stitch" (my ring and test sample of stainless) are referred to as a "square knot braid"

spiral braid and chamelion are almost identical in truth, and i've done them before in rope and could easily replicate them in wire.

there's some interesting clasp knots that i may like to try, however... it'd need to have rather precise measurements to be sure that it wasnt too tight to close/open, but not too loose to slip free on it's own...

the lucky knot might look cool as a pendant...

Submissions: 150

Posted on Sat May 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Stainless for knotting? Brave. I'd propose for knotting and reproducing Macramée, Boondoggle, Lanyard-making the use of really soft wire like EC or softer AA varieties (if you can get AA made from pure Al), and once you manage to achieve good results switch over to Goldfill and Silver. But stainless is really brave - and I'm a Stainless guy... Tststs...

BTW: Did you ever make a Boatswain's Whistle knot? I do this one routinely in two colors with Paracord, or what ever is at hand. But I never managed making it in Stainless, despite some attempts...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Sun May 30, 2010 12:06 am

ZiLi wrote:
Stainless for knotting? Brave. I'd propose for knotting and reproducing Macramée, Boondoggle, Lanyard-making the use of really soft wire like EC or softer AA varieties (if you can get AA made from pure Al), and once you manage to achieve good results switch over to Goldfill and Silver. But stainless is really brave - and I'm a Stainless guy... Tststs...

BTW: Did you ever make a Boatswain's Whistle knot? I do this one routinely in two colors with Paracord, or what ever is at hand. But I never managed making it in Stainless, despite some attempts...

-ZiLi-

i tried with electrical copper for the ring above, and didnt particularly like it. the ends continuously broke off of the strands as i attempted to tie it, and it work hardened quickly and unevenly, making the loops difficult to keep consistent. With the stainless, though, it hardened evenly, didnt break, and it came out VERY easily to consistent knots. enough so that the sample piece above looks almost computer generated.

not to mention that i ordered almost 1k feet of it from TRL and it's been too thin till recently to use for rings, and even now my cutter's damaged so i cant cut coils of the stainless cause they need the 3/32" mandrel or thinner for a descent AR.

and boatswain's whistle knot? i will look it up...

O_O!

THAT'S A LANYARD KNOT WITH A LOOP!!!!

it's so hard to find tutorials for that one in picture (vid ones dont help me as much), but when i searched that, I found plenty. thx.

it's also called a "fake turk's head knot"

i've been meaning to try that one...

oh, and btw, i've never heard of boondoggle, and due to being camping, internet's throwing a hissyfit, so the pages on it arent loading quickly. it was luck that the whistle knot ones did.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:37 pm

I like the finger ring. It dose look good in copper though.

Posted on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks.

I realized a few days ago that i could make it out of bronze for about 10 cents each, so i'm going to try that at some point. out of brass would be about the same.

Submissions: 294

Posted on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Awesome! I love it.
I have done this knot in cord but never tried it in wire, great job.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Legba3 wrote:
Awesome! I love it.
I have done this knot in cord but never tried it in wire, great job.

it's not much harder.

though what i've noticed in trying to make the RING out of stainless is that it wants to straighten out the core, thus trying to distort the ring into a straight stich.

so if anyone tries this before school ends for me (at which time i'll have the time to make a tutorial on it, because it really is pretty simple if you know what to do) make sure you have 2 mandrels for it. one to form the core around, and one slightly smaller than the other to push the ring against to make it round again (as the cobra stich, as anyone who's tied it in cord of wire knows, makes it thicker on the outside and inside of the core) so the core ring ID will have to be at least 2 wire diameters thicker than the ID of the finished

another tip i have is to use wire that's stronger than electrical copper.

what do i mean by stronger? closer to spring temper. like dead soft titanium might work rather well for this. 1/4 hard stainless is what the flat stitch in the first post is made of and is what a ring i'm making now (when i have time) is made of

because of the nature of the stitch, though, it can be made at any time and paused at any time, as it's stable in between knots.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1