Wanna make some earrings...suggestions???
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Wanna make some earrings...suggestions???
Posted on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:00 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Okay, so what I've got on hand is the full selection of TRL's bright aluminum rings in 18 ga. (all of the sizes they offer in that gauge)...wd 1.2 mm. I've also got a bunch of AA (mixed colors) in 18 ga 5/32", also TRL, and some ear wires.

Where to start? Anyone got any suggestions, that would be possible with the above mentioned rings? I find myself sitting here with the rings in front of me, and no direction!

Thanks!

T.W. Johnny

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. The hard part is following the line.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:21 am

Gridlock byzantine looks cool. http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavedisplay.php?key=469

If at first you don't succeed, try a different aspect ratio.

Posted on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:01 am

Something I do, quite simple, but people seem to like (I use 18 ga 3/16 in AA, but your 5/32 should work just as well), is as follows:
construct three to five two in one chains, all of varying lengths (generally three to seven rings long), and with a colour scheme running either horizontally or vertically when the earrings are completed (just wait). I'll then construct these strands into a triangle of Euro 4-in-1, such that (in the case of five strands) I have one ring at the top, which my earring hook attaches to, then two running the other direction, then three rings that lie in the same direction as the first, then four in the direction of the second row, and my five strands attached to those four, creating a cascading look from the strands of different length. As I mentioned above, I use different colours, so that, for example, two strands and one of the rows in the triangle might be green, two more strands and another of the rows in the triangle are light blue, and the remaining strand and rows of the triangle are dark blue. Alternately, I've used red, orange, and gold arranged such that the colours are segmented into (uneven) rows, instead of columns, so that each earring looks like an inverted flame. These look rather neat, if I may say so myself, and apparently the jingling, chiming noise they make when the wearer moves their head is a source of entertainment.
Hopefully that made sense, or at the very least helped you find some inspiration of your own.

Posted on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:15 pm

I'd like to see a pic of that!

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. The hard part is following the line.

Posted on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:07 pm

My suggestion is you look in the unit weave selection (because they tend to make decent pendents and earrings,) or do some kind of graduated earrings.

Posted on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:06 pm

Is this somewhat like what you were talking about, Wolf?

Sorry for the poor quality picture...from phone.

T.W. Johnny

Posted on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:57 pm

Very Nice!!!!

Posted on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:49 am

hey gotta say shaggy loops works beautifully i"ve actually sold about 15 pairs of them

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1