galvanized steel
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 0

galvanized steel
Posted on Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:07 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

does anyone know how long it takes hydrogen peroxide to strip the zinc from galvy steel? ive tried darkening my metal on a sample piece then someone told me it may strip the zinc coating.

Submissions: 24

Posted on Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:21 am

Stripping the zinc coating may not be the best idea - I'm not too strong with the activity series, but if it does react (I'd doubt it) it would form Zinc Oxide (bad) and hydrogen gas, which is very flammable (also bad). I noticed that while trying to clean some galvy with vinegar, it quickly became very rusty, and if it's possible to take the rust off, it may work.

-Just remember, if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

-Never take life too seriosly. No one ever gets out alive, anyway.

--Omne Ignotum Pro Magnifico

-- If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:22 am

well what i meant was im tryin not to take it off so i was asking how long would it take so i wouldnt sorry about that

Submissions: 4

Posted on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:08 am

Hydrogen peroxide is one of the safer chemicals to use with galvy. From my understanding, zinc oxide is formed from heating galvy and hydrogen gas results from using hydrochloric acid to strip it. Neither of the two should be any concern here.

It's been too long since I tried to use H2O2 on galvy, so I won't even guess on what the time limit is. If you check your other thread, I linked some information on darkening galvy. Maybe your answer will be in there.

Submissions: 2

Posted on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:09 am

to damb long. use battery acid. 15 minutes and you sould be good. how you do this is hit your auto store and grab some. you will need gloves, plastic, a tight sealing container, and a bucket of water. drop your maille in the acid for 15-20 minutes use your gloves and make sure you put the plastic down first. you don't want it to drip on stuff. do be carefull not to splash it. let it set for a few grab it out and drop it in the water. then take it to the sink and rinse it good. dry it off quickly after then try to color.

NOTE: make sure you have air flow and a mask would not hurt. if you can do it outside thats the best. if not open every window and door you got.
you can color with gunblueing i have and it work good. everything you need to know is on the bottle.

You are only limited by ones self, for trying is never failure. You may have just hit your limitations.
You can tell some one a 1000 times how to do some thing or show them once and they can do it a 1000 times over.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:54 pm

The original author was asking how long it would take to strip the galvy so they could stop it before that happens. The desired effect was darkened galvy not removal of the galvanization altogether.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1