Closed Poll in Gallery
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 93

Closed Poll in Gallery
Posted on Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:05 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Dierdre, what's up with this?

Maybe I'm just confused, but you closed the topic because you didn't like what Phong was thinking when he posted it?

I really hope I'm reading this wrong...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:38 pm

posting the poll was useless. locking the useless thread was useless.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Whether the poll is "useless" or not is irrelevant. I cannot find anything written in that tread that justifies locking it.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 243

Posted on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:48 am

It seems like phong was just trying to get a feel for how most members use the gallery for his own personal curiosity. Whether or not that has an effect on his view of weaves organization is no one else's business. The wording was a bit vague, but so what? It might have been a better poll if it was more specific, but there was no good reason to lock it.

http://www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:11 pm

Locking it was probably hasty. I'll go unlock it.

I know there's some thread in the forum now about this, and I'll be honest, I don't have the time this week to wade through walls of text and respond to anything. I probably won't even read it till sometime next week.

I will say for the record though that there is more to it than just not liking what Phong was posting.

1, he's not a Gallery admin and if he wants to talk about changing how the gallery is set up, then he needs to bring it up here, or at the very least get, I don't know, a gallery admins thoughts on posting such a poll.

2, I've had a few very abusive, profane pm's from Phong in recent weeks. In short, he's ticked me off and I probably acted the way I did because of his treatment of me. I WILL NOT be abused by ANYONE here, period.

3, the poll was too vague to be of any use for data gathering. I'll unlock the trhead, but I'm not going to open up the poll again. It's up to you guys if you want to go over my head. I really *don't* care.

If anyone has an issue with this, deal with it. It's not life or death, and frankly I'm working over a 100 hours a week right now. I don't care enough at the moment to worry about anyone's feelings, and I won't deal with childish arguments or behavior.

Submissions: 73

Posted on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:23 am

Deirdre wrote:
Locking it was probably hasty. I'll go unlock it.

I know there's some thread in the forum now about this, and I'll be honest, I don't have the time this week to wade through walls of text and respond to anything. I probably won't even read it till sometime next week.

I will say for the record though that there is more to it than just not liking what Phong was posting.

1, he's not a Gallery admin and if he wants to talk about changing how the gallery is set up, then he needs to bring it up here, or at the very least get, I don't know, a gallery admins thoughts on posting such a poll.

2, I've had a few very abusive, profane pm's from Phong in recent weeks. In short, he's ticked me off and I probably acted the way I did because of his treatment of me. I WILL NOT be abused by ANYONE here, period.

3, the poll was too vague to be of any use for data gathering. I'll unlock the trhead, but I'm not going to open up the poll again. It's up to you guys if you want to go over my head. I really *don't* care.

If anyone has an issue with this, deal with it. It's not life or death, and frankly I'm working over a 100 hours a week right now. I don't care enough at the moment to worry about anyone's feelings, and I won't deal with childish arguments or behavior.

I had put together a lengthy PM response to your post locking the thread, but MAIL decided to log mr out before I could send it, and ate the PM. So I'll just respond to this post.

1. The poll was not an attempt to change policy in the Gallery, or any other part of MAIL. It was an attempt to gather honest and objective information that might then be applied to future policy decisions. It's incorrect to say that because I'm not a gallery admin that I can't ask the membership for input. It's also not true that you are the one I'd have to consult. For one, this was,kt a matter that needed permission. For two, DruidQueen is still the designated Gallery Admin, so if anything I should go to her first. For three, I could just as easily go to ZiLi, Lorraine or Talia, since they're also responsible for things Gallery. So despite your 'diva' title and attitude, I am not in the least beholden to your approval.

Rest assured, any policy actions I do suggest will be brought up to the BoD as a whole. I have no intention of railroading changes through without due diligence and deliberation.

2. I recall both sides of the recent PM conversations being pretty snippy, so you don't need to act like the malabused innocent. I might also point out that my responses were sent privately, but you felt entirely free to mock, dismiss and dress down a fellow admin in public. Not at all actions becoming a member of the BoD.

3. As I said, the poll was a preliminary, information-gathering tool. I asked the question I did in the way I did to get the information I was curious about. (Not to get 'the answer I wanted' as you might suggest). I have no control over whether or not you are able to comprehend my intentions, and I have no particular obligation to keep you apprised of anything I do; even less so when the things I'm doing are very much in the preliminary phase.

Since you keep insisting that the poll is useless, ineffectual, etc. what harm could there be in leaving the thread and the poll open? The membership that responded gave no indication of feeling duped; indeed the answers they gave were very helpful. The only objections were raised by you and chao, who happen to have recent personal issues with me, and who happen to personally dislike my views on certain suggested policy issues.

Not liking me is not a reason to close the poll. Not being able to discern the intent of the poll is not a reason to close the poll. Not liking the intent of the poll is not a reason to close the poll. Thinking (erroneously) that you're the gatekeeper for the Gallery forum is not a reason to close the thread. Saying 'well I'm super busy, so I'll reopen the thread but not the poll' followed by 'and if you don't like it too bad' is not an acceptable response for a supposedly senior and responsible member of the BoD.

Some measure of even feigned contrition would be nice.

-phong is in Amsterdam lol

Submissions: 93

Posted on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:32 pm

Hey guys,

I don't know what the two of you were fighting about, and frankly, I don't care. Here's the deal, however:

Right now, at this very moment, the BOD looks like a bunch of petty children. In the future, this back-channel crap either needs to stay back-channel, or be brought forward as a public discussion.

Dierdre, from your posts here and in the gallery threads, I have some serious concerns.

First, I'm concerned that you seem angry about something, in more than a "just happened" kind of way, but I have not heard the slightest whisper of any complaint or concern until this particular blowup. If there's an issue the BOD needs to deal with, now would be a good time to bring it to the BOD. Three or four days ago would have been a lot better...

Second, I'm still baffled by the idea that you thought your job as a gallery admin meant you should or could censor anything, even in the gallery forum, that did not violate our content policy! I assumed that I had misunderstood the situation, but your posts seem to be confirming that this is true.

Phong, I'd really appreciate just touch less snark. Things like, "It's good to see not everyone is myopic 'round here." may be indirect enough that I can't call them ad-hominem, but only just barely, and either way, it's inappropriate given that you're an admin.

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 79

Posted on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:49 pm

i thought that myopic comment was directed at me after several hours (5+, maybe) of discussion with him about the poll in question in #mail. i just shrugged it off.. we were both pretty intense that day.

i've seen forums that have been forced to disable PMs due to this kind of backroom bickering.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1