Stainless Steel Wire?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 4

Stainless Steel Wire?
Posted on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:27 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I've been looking around to buy some 18 ga. stainless steel wire and for the life of me, I can't find any. I don't even need them in rings, I make my own rings. I live in Texas, so most of the stores are in Canada or up north, and shipping is EXPENSIVE...

Does anyone live/have a store closer to the south, and is selling Stainless Steel?

Submissions: 150

Posted on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:45 pm

Don't they weld Stainless in Texas? If some do, look in your nearest welding supply store (or attempt searching on 'iiih-baeh' for 'ER-308' or 'ER-316')... Very Happy

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:46 pm

There is 302 stainless in 18g AWG (0.04") and 18g SWG (0.048") listed in the stainless wire post right below this thread.

You may want to check and see if the OP still has any left.

Shipping won't be much if it can fit in a flat rate box.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:11 pm

I have a bunch how much are you looking for. I have sent You a P.M.

Posted on Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:07 am

FYI if you buy a pound of stainless wire it's gonna set you back around 30 bucks at a welding shop, i would buy online if i were you about a quarter of the price about half with shipping

Re: Stainless Steel Wire?
Posted on Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:46 pm

NinjaTails wrote:
I've been looking around to buy some 18 ga. stainless steel wire and for the life of me, I can't find any.

Look in the yellow pages for metals or wire and start calling places to see if they carry it. You won't find local places via the internet because they sell mostly to local businesses, who also find them via the yellow pages. I think it took me two or three calls to find one.

Expect to pay 2-3x what someplace like TRL charges, so is only cost effective for small quantities or quick availability. You may have to order it by diameter rather than gauge, so look up AWG on wikipedia or something to get a cross reference. Ask about how its been annealed -- it may be full soft because they expect you to form it then heat treat it to the desired properties (not doable at home by most people). Full soft means the wire will bend easily, so your rings will reopen easily. Half hard is what is mostly sold for maille. There's a substantial stiffness difference between my local stainless and the black stainless rings I got from TRL.

Places out of the US (like TRL in Canada) may sell SWG wire, which has a different diameter for the same gauge number.
The "L" variants of stainless (e.g. 304L or 316L) are low carbon for welding and cannot be heat treated to be as stiff (hard) as non-L variants, but since you won't be heat treating anyway, it probably doesn't matter.

Hope this helps.

Posted on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:03 pm

Check welding stores first, depending on how much you need that is. You will pay around 20-25 if you just buy 1 lb, but if you get the larger 16 lb spools the price drops dramatically. Around here (Utah) you can get it for about 4-5 bucks a pound.

Submissions: 39

Posted on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:44 am

At Menards, Home Depot, and a few other hardware stores I have found stainless wire for anywhere from $5 to $12 per pound. Larger spools cost less per pound. The thickest wire I saw there was 0.035.

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
-Ronald Reagan

Posted on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:47 pm

Hey,

I'm in the states and have all the stainless wire you need.

Shoot me a PM or email. I can send out via flat rate mail as long as I can get the coil to fit in a box.

Later,
Jesse

"When good men die there goodness does not perish/ But lives though they are gone."

Euripides

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1