New Gallery Admins: Vote Vote Vote!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Zili, Lorraine and Talia for new Gallery Admins; shackles or freedom?
Shackles
100%
 100%  [ 8 ]
No shackles
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Submissions: 0

New Gallery Admins: Vote Vote Vote!
Posted on Wed May 27, 2009 10:13 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

As discussed in the live Admin chat last night, we're in need for a few new Gallery admins. The admins present nominated and/or seconded/thirded/fourth-ed/etc. Zili, Lorraine and Talia as our new admins. All three are excited to help out, so let's hurry and shackle them before they come to their senses!

Submissions: 294

Posted on Wed May 27, 2009 10:51 pm

Yes, yes and yes!

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 79

Posted on Wed May 27, 2009 11:52 pm

by the time someone makes it through the nomination process have we ever gotten a "no" vote?

hurray for formalities!

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 93

Posted on Thu May 28, 2009 2:39 am

*stamp*

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu May 28, 2009 7:15 am

Good MAIL people all, IMO. If they hadn't signed on, I'd say we were cherry-picking the labor pool.

Kodiak-

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri May 29, 2009 5:36 pm

Oh for the love of monkeys, we have more than 5 active admins don't we?

Should we just cease with the formalities and call it?

Submissions: 294

Posted on Fri May 29, 2009 5:39 pm

Yeah.

Where is Cynake?

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Fri May 29, 2009 7:31 pm

our votes are supposed to run for a week, or so, iirc..

we have some protocol written down somewhere for official votes.

perhaps it is the % of active BOD members.. i'll look through the charter when i'm back in the "greater metropolitan area" tonight.

kim

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri May 29, 2009 7:38 pm

Quote:

5.2 - Voting
Any vote, be it among the B.O.D. or the entire membership, must be carried out on the M.A.I.L. Discussion Board. The B.O.D must carefully oversee the wording of an official vote before it is opened to the group for voting. A vote may have a time limit imposed by the B.O.D., and may be invalidated by the B.O.D. for lack of participation. Unless otherwise stated, a vote will be carried by a simple majority of those members who vote.

Posted on Sat May 30, 2009 5:34 am

Yeah, the MAIL Charter, basically our bylaws, could use a bit of revising, updating....a quorum usually consists of a simple majority of the BOD present at voting time, and there's just so much leniency and lack of definition in this org, well, we do pretty much whatever we can come to a consensus on.

Personally, I think it would be a wise thing to try and get some structure, or at least define what little structure there is.

There's probably resistance to the traditional roles/positions like a president, VP, Treasurer and Secretary, but along with a Board of directors, the senior most being the Exec Board, this is the basic make-up of a group/org structure.....like I said, probably resistance to the names and responsibility that the titles imply, but for reasons that become apparent when a group gets to the point where it's being required to take a more active role in the community that it supports/benefits, the community that, like it or not, the BOD has a certain responsibility to, at least in the keeping and managing of the donated time and labor that went into creating and building the datbase....eh, my point is being able to evolve and grow with the community, and doing right by it, the membership.

And it's gone extraordinarily well, MAIL has....I'm not suggesting any rash, hurried or major changes, just keeping an open mind to the management needs that will arise as we move to MAIL 3.0 and beyond.....I'm also not suggesting the pres, v.p. type of structure for mail would be practical, but over the next few years, I suspect we'll need to rethink management roles and responsibilities......yeah, but then, maybe not.....hmmm, I sure didn't mean for this to be a rant, sorry.

This all kinda hits close to home in a way, as I've taken lead to bring our local Farmers Market up to date with all the things we haven't been doing for 10 years, like meetings, memberships, BOD's and officers.....anyway, Roberts Rules of Order has been bedside reading for the last 4 months. Fun stuff.

Kodiak-

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Posted on Sat May 30, 2009 1:10 pm

our charter would be unpleasantly painful to change. the vagueness works in our favor here. we don't need to wait for people, or annoy them by email to vote, we just toss it up and there it is.

kodiak, what charter points would you change?

if they are simply management points not specified in the charter, then we should talk about it and decide. we, the BOD, have a lot of power to make changes to the site and the way it is managed.

kim

Submissions: 73

Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:11 am

I just got back from a couple trips, so this is the first I saw of the vote, and I cast mine.

-phong

Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:30 am

Chao, I haven't flaked out on this, I'll put together some notes on the places in the charter, and other organizational docs that could use a going over....the first thing that would be appropriate to look at, would be the charter itself, or at least the term Charter, as it implies that this is a project group, when I think we would agree MAIL has moved past that, into an organization, member based...we are better defining the mission of MAIL, and as the org evolves, so should it's docs.

There should, at some point, be discussion to forming a non-profit corp...donations/cash flow over $500 annually needs to file for tax exempt status....have no idea what Jon has set up for dealing with reporting income...in the US, a form 990....simple, if simply done, but a nightmare if we leave open an avenue for someone with a grudge to hurt MAIL.

Filing a non-profit Organization or Corp in most states is very simple, really, very little paperwork....

Kodiak-

Chaincraft Mandrels

Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:15 am

i'm hopping on a bus today, so perhaps i'll have a treat when i get access again. Smile

changing the charter requires a full membership vote.. we have pretty strict guidelines on this in the charter itself.

i look forward to reading your post.

kim

Submissions: 93

Posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:14 pm

Hey Kodiak,

I certainly agree that the organization needs to change with the times (one of the reasons I worded the draft of the charter a vaguely as I did back when), but I fear the idea of any one of us being "in charge" of the board, even by dint of perception. In your own words, "we do pretty much whatever we can come to a consensus on". I don't see that as a weakness, but as a strength.

While certainly an individual BOD member may occasionally do something the rest of the board doesn't like, we've never had an issue with an action taken by the entire Board. I agree there isn't a lot of "structure", but why build structure there's never been a need for?

Now, if we were finally creating that non-profit corporation I've been advocating for the past 6 years, I'd be the first in line to want to make those structural changes, but until there's a reason, why change?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next