Amendments to Theme Contest Rules (Discussion)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:53 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Jax25 wrote:
ZiLi wrote:
Rules about size/dimension limits shall serve mainly the purpose to present all pieces in a comparable, easily accessible manner, to allow a fair comparison - as fair as possible with a photo alone. So discussions about invalidating contest entries due to lack of a photo fulfilling all rules (one that can be brought by another person as the submitter easily into rule conform shape - note that not every talented mailler is also a photographer and/or photoshopper), is simply ridiculous, if we speak about a maille contest.

I -would- agree with this except, it takes almost no skill at all to resize an image. It might take a bit of skill to make it fit within the kb requirement if your program doesn't have an obvious interface to change the resolution of the image...a lot of them do, but I've found a few that don't (mostly of the free-to-use, edit on the web variety). Nowhere in the rules does it say that the photo must be perfect, nor even excellent, it just says that they have to be X size and take up X storage space.

And there IS a reason for this.
All winning entries are added to the Contest Archives Article...

If the image fails to meet the size guidelines (Both in physical and storage space) it won't be uploadable as part of an Article.

I propose that submissions for the next (and future) contests be handled by a submission script that uploads the images onto MAIL Servers... Checking both size and... Uh, size... And resizing as appropriate
How this will work exactly, is TDB based on my brain still mulling over ideas.

This will prevent dead image links, as well as prevent non-contest entries being uploaded, or entries from being changed after submission.
This will also allow Contest Submissions to be linked to a new as-yet non-existent part of your User Profile.

Maybe it's time to "reboot" the contest frandchise, redesign the rules, add in "prizes" as Jon suggested, alter the way submissions are handled, etc...
We just won't bring in Michael Bay to direct Coif LoL

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 11

Posted on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Sounds damn spiffy, DL. I'm all for that.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:06 pm

Jax: What seems trivial and easy to you, isn't for many people - I know some highly gifted artists, that are near to computer analphabets, and the use of a forum, as straightforward as it looks to you or me, is already a major effort. Even basic image file preparation exceeds often their abilities. This is a simple matter of fact, proven over and over again, and so I applaud every aid that can given to these people. And I'm happy to learn, that DL works already in this direction, to address the issues.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:33 pm

If that is the case then, Zili, I believe we should be teaching them how to do it rather than doing it for them. Honestly, if they can figure out how to download a program onto their computer, I'd be happy to teach them what three steps they have to go to in order to make their picture 800 x 600 (or whatever dimensions). It's like the old adage "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime."

Posted on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:40 am

Sorry it's simply impossible to teach all people all knowledge that might be crucial - see that some people will never learn to do maths, read and write, others never to drive a car properly, or, or, or... Same is valid for computer knowledge. Sure, only seldom it's a matter of inability to learn, but these cases exist. And never underestimate human laziness.

We as community should decide, if we can afford to lose talents, that lack a talent in another direction of abilities, and so prefer to avoid M.A.I.L. (or parts of), as they cannot manage to work with our user interface. See that already many communities tried to give people tutorials, or to employ large staffs of support people, in an attempt to teach users to work with their interfaces - but in the end most of them found that this is a futile affair, and reverted to the use of technical aids to help people, by providing user interfaces as easy as possible, that help to avoid mistakes - and even encourage laziness (or at least can cope with). Some of the communities that did not enter future went extinct...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

-'me

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:40 am

I would favour a redesign of the contest rules, as it seems apparent there are concerns and issues which continue to arise.

Things need to be spelled out as clearly as possible.

While entries should be in harmony with the theme of each contest, I'd like to see rather a wide latitude given, but not subject to the whim of only one person.

Prizes sound great, perhaps gift cards to suppliers of rings and etc.

Posted on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:32 am

Next on my agenda...create the "Resizing Photos For Dummies" article....

Submissions: 50

Posted on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:55 pm

If you want specific results, you need specific definitions. It needs to be decided how strictly defined this contest needs to be.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:08 pm

Odd how we haven't heard from certain people who had a lot to say on the 'wrong' thread; are they leaving this to die a natural death once again?

It would be great to have the rules clarified and improved before the voting begins on the next theme contest.

Posted on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:02 pm

As told already above, I'm proponent of a technical solution to reach proper image file sizes and dimensions - but I'll tell not only that I have this opinion, but will also explain, why I have it.

During a former phase of my carreer I was involved in software engineering, especially the user interfaces. So there was an appointment book software for massage praxes, later sold in a slightly adjusted version to doctors offices for basically the same purpose, and a later version even to schools for class scheduling. See that masseur is often a profession chosen by blind people, see that doctors or especially teachers are far from easy to teach. Experience tells that UI Tutorials and even context sensitive helps are only of limited use, as humans tend to ignore them. Our solution was to implement user interfaces as easy and error tolerant as possible, able to cope with near to every possible input. Hard work, but paid off in the end. And the product did not only sell, but was also appreciated by its users.

Current developments in user communities and their user interfaces show clearly, that more and more of them (facebook is a prominent example, more modern forums are as well) change their user interfaces also in that direction of easy to use, and error tolerant interfaces. Even so unimportant looking things like auto-acknowledging and conversion of links, but also 'upload what you have, we can cope with' are clear signs of that.

So I'd say, that we should implement such strategies as well; let the computers do what they can best. Train (aka program) the computer ONCE to do things properly, what else ALL users would have to be taught over and over again, that wish to use a functionality.

-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Odd how we haven't heard from certain people who had a lot to say on the 'wrong' thread; are they leaving this to die a natural death once again?

It would be great to have the rules clarified and improved before the voting begins on the next theme contest.

I have my opinions. Right now I'm listening to other people's opinions. I have no idea why that would seem "odd" to you.

My replies in another thread have nothing to do with this thread. Your speculation about the motives of why "certain people" have not replied is pointless and adds nothing to the discussion. It's pot stirring. Stop it.

This thread was started 18 Apr 2009 by DruidQueen when she was running the theme contests. It ended eight pages later on 12 May 2009 with new rules. I participated along with many other people in that discussion. How on god's green earth is not replying since it was resurrected on 05 Apr 2012, two days ago, "leaving this to die a natural death once again"? Again, pot stirring. Stop it.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Frankly Lorraine, I am sick to death of your tin badge police mentality, and habit of putting down anyone who wishes to bring about change in the cause of improving the site.

Stirring the pot, as you call it, is a total disregard of and devaluation of my opinions, and I think you may wish to think about stepping down as an administrator, as you are obviously not up to the job of dealing with people.

You tend to belittle posts you do not like, or that take you out of your comfort zone.

Don't tell me to 'stop it.' No one died and made you queen. It is time to point out your ludicrous game-playing.

Submissions: 95

Posted on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:43 pm

*Admin hat on*

Rognvald, no 'belittling' of posts has been done. Your comments to Lorraine are not necessary and are certainly not helpful. They have nothing to do with the discussion that has been taking place and only serve to stir up more unnecessary arguments. Please refrain from any further comments on this matter. This discussion is for how to improve the contest rules, please keep to that topic and do not flame Lorraine.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Posted on Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:39 pm

ZiLi wrote:

Current developments in user communities and their user interfaces show clearly, that more and more of them (facebook is a prominent example, more modern forums are as well) change their user interfaces also in that direction of easy to use, and error tolerant interfaces.

Funny you should mention facebook. They're constantly changing it and people HATE the changes. When I'm finally forced into Timeline I'm quitting FB until they change it to something else. Probably not the best example to use there....

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:33 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Frankly Lorraine, I am sick to death of your tin badge police mentality, and habit of putting down anyone who wishes to bring about change in the cause of improving the site.

Stirring the pot, as you call it, is a total disregard of and devaluation of my opinions, and I think you may wish to think about stepping down as an administrator, as you are obviously not up to the job of dealing with people.

You tend to belittle posts you do not like, or that take you out of your comfort zone.

Don't tell me to 'stop it.' No one died and made you queen. It is time to point out your ludicrous game-playing.

Rognvald, I'm sorry that you feel disregarded and devalued. I have never said anything to you that was meant in that way. "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"- Eleanor Roosevelt. I am a moderator in the forums and an admin on MAIL. One of my jobs is to keep things civil and constructive here in the forums. I personally felt that your comments in this thread were not about "improving the site" but rather pot stirring and I said as much.

Your dislike of me is coloring all of your responses. You say I " belittle posts you do not like, or that take you out of your comfort zone." You have no idea what is going on in my head or what my comfort zones are any more than I know what is going on in your head or what your comfort zones are. You are letting your dislike of me place meanings in my posts that simply are not there.

Again, one of my jobs is to moderate the forums. I believe your posts are not constructive and helpful in this thread. I am simply doing my job by keeping things civil here. No, "no one died and made" me queen. The theme contests were previously run by other admins who have since left, Deirdre and DruidQueen. So I stepped up and volunteered for the job. So yes, I am in charge of the theme contests. At some point, I am sure I will be gone and someone else will be in charge of the contests, but for now, that person is me. It's clear that you don't like that. But I fail to understand why you feel the need to say I am "playing games". I am simply trying to run the contests fairly and in the most efficient way possible. You are welcome to disagree with me, in a respectful way. You are more than welcome to make suggestions. But you are not free to treat me disrespectfully when I have not treated you that way.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Jump to:  
Page 9 of 11. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next