Another question regarding weave submissions
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 294

Posted on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:50 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I've had this PM which I agree with and I've been asked to post it here.

Quote:
Hi, as I am not allowed to write in the Admin's area, I write just to you.

I read the discussions about 'near maille' weaves (the ones that need non-rigid or deformed rings - or even 'non-rings' to work at all). And I propose to create a category 'Non-Standard Maille' in the weave database.

This is based on the fact, that weaves that use maille-technique are maille per se. And in my opinion it is a pity, if interesting new innovative weaves fall into oblivion. Imho they must given a place to reside in. That might bring up a discussion whether that is maille at all, but I think that 'modern' maille does not more have really much in common with classical maille, if near to nobody uses riveted rings, as classical maille usually used. So we already deviated enough from classical maille paths to abandon the pseudo-conservative maille definitions that are used at the moment.

I'd like if you could communicate this mailler's opinion in the admins discussions.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 79

Posted on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:53 pm

bump

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=13296

well... is this worth a BOD vote for a new area? a certain percentage of the polled membership is interested.

as it stands our library is inconsistent with not allowing non-circular rings. we should either remove the submissions, or allow them.

this conversation reminds me of the thread about unit weaves

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=11815&highlight=unit

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 294

Posted on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:34 pm

Yes I think we should have a vote on it.
Like the Units, it was thought that they shouldn't be allowed but when the membership was asked, it turned out that having a section for them was wanted.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 3

Posted on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:47 pm || Last edited by kodiak on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total

I'd like to know where the rest of the almost 900 weaves are? Set to display/not display....whats up with that?

My person feelings, our library as it stands is half weaves database, and half gallery. There are so many entries that by our most base guidelines, don't belong in there....they're design variations....I could start listing them, but thats not what we're discussing.

I don't think it's right to NOT include a section for, what, not sure what to call it, "Non-Standard Weaves" is the proposed section, I suppose that'll do. So my vote would be yes.

At some point, a cohesive, comprehensive weaves library will be done, weeding through and categorizing actual weaves from true variations from creative design/form.....and to clarify, I believe everything, all submissions to our current library are valid, just not put in the appropriate place....every pattern created with rings(objective) is worthy to be named, and have a place in a section or sub-section of this cohesive, "Comprehensive Library of Maille and Chain Weaves".

Kodiak-

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Posted on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:52 am

we are on it, my friend. i have been talking with DL and legba on this.

pretty much everyone agrees that wading through the swamp sucks.

we will present the BOD with something when there is something more substantial to present. Smile

kim

Submissions: 73

Posted on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:58 am

I pretty much agree with Kodiak. The current database/approval guidelines are borked. I'm ok with the idea of a Non-Standard section, but the whole approval process needs to be overhauled. I'd be wary of making the new section until the approval process is reworked, to avoid undoing the work later.

-phong

Posted on Sun May 24, 2009 9:22 pm

bump

well?

the membership seemed to be in favor if it.

i am in the process of developing one today.
don't be shocked when i submit it just to push the issue.

kim

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun May 24, 2009 11:26 pm

This isn't specifically related to this issue... But...

I'd really like to see about getting scheduled chats back on track... It would be nice to talk about some of this stuff in realtime.

I'd like to get a large representation of the BOD there as well. We could perhaps schedule one a month to deal with MAIL issues?

Just a thought.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Mon May 25, 2009 8:20 am

Sounds good DL, get some schedule sugestions up...I'm easy, anytime...anyone skype?

Kodiak-

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong". -H.L. Menken
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." -Dorothy Parker
Chaincraft Mandrels

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2