"Hybrid" viking knit?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 0

"Hybrid" viking knit?
Posted on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:06 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm new to this but very interested in viking knit jewelry. I have seen a few places with jewelry for sale and it is described as "hybrid viking knit", and the weave does look a little different than "regular" viking. I have searched the Net for instructions or description of this to no avail. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks!

Submissions: 4

Posted on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:12 pm

Do you happen to have pics or a link to what you are referring to?

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:30 pm

yeah. i havent the foggiest idea of what viking knit is.

Posted on Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:54 pm

It's a wire weave. Read this http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=12621&start=0

Posted on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:32 am

it has a cool look to it, but i dont really know how you would use it. a chain, i think, would be ugly. i cant think of a way it would look good unless you flattened it in such a way as to keep the loops all on the top and and concentrate all the wire strips onto the back. then i could see a nice bracelet.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:12 am

webenmopher wrote:
it has a cool look to it, but i dont really know how you would use it. a chain, i think, would be ugly. i cant think of a way it would look good unless you flattened it in such a way as to keep the loops all on the top and and concentrate all the wire strips onto the back. then i could see a nice bracelet.

There are lots of examples of Viking Knit being used to make beautiful jewelry all over the internet.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:28 pm

yea, i like offtopic. too...

On Christmas this year, as every year, me and my family went to Warstein to seemy uncle and this time they had such weird cords to hold the napkins there. Those cords were woven by six strings and the weave looked like viking knit, so i guess, it was. But as material they used cheap gum "wire" coated with tiny plastic pearls and another diffrence was that they were made of silver and golden wire, so they can't be woven like normal viking knit, which is being made by using one single wire. So, i suppose this could be sum "hybrid" viking knit, although i don't know exactly how this stuff was made (never did viking knit before, but this stuff was the machined cheap chinese quality anyways).

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1