Join us in Viking Knit
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 5

Posted on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:12 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey Stone Queen, I see you are new here so welcome! Great to have you with us. I'm curious to see pics of the stuff you are talking about, cuz I'm a metal chick too!. Please remember if you do post them they belong in the Gallery forum, not in this thread.

Glad your creativity is sparked. I will be back at it tomorrow. I still have no draw plate though.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:15 pm

Carys wrote:
Hey Stone Queen, I see you are new here so welcome! Great to have you with us. I'm curious to see pics of the stuff you are talking about, cuz I'm a metal chick too!. Please remember if you do post them they belong in the Gallery forum, not in this thread.

Would't they belong in a new thread here in Wire Arts?

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:46 am

Oh yeah. I forgot what forum I was in!

Posted on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:45 am

Update,

I have a piece of wire looped up, but still no draw plate. Hubs said he would make me one if I find a suitable piece of wood. *sigh*

Does anyone have any pics to share?

Submissions: 57

Posted on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:30 am

I don't have any pics just get a piece of hardwood 3/4"-1"thick x2" wide x12" long, start with a drill bit about 5/16"[8mm] (for most, this is perfect as the largest hole)and graduate down punching a single hole for each drill bit in the set, mine goes down to just under 3/32 [2mm]
mine is about 12" long ( leaving 1" at the bottom vacant for a vise to grip,and 2" at the top for my left hand to rest, as I the chain through, leaving my holes spread out over nine inches, remember not to plant the first hole in the dead center of the 2" of width as you may need to make two or more rows of holes., depending on the increments of your drill bits.
Pm me if this is unclear

Posted on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:43 am

Nope it's good. He has those exact drill bits too. Thanks onering!

Submissions: 0

Viking Knit Drawplate
Posted on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:37 am

I just thought that I'd mention . . . I've been working on Viking Knit projects and I've come across something. If you use a piece of heavy cloth, such as a scrap of denim, then you don't have to use a drawplate. I hold the end of my weave in a pair of pliers with one hand, and wrapping the cloth around my other hand I pull down the entire length of the weave. Thinking about it, I guess I turn my hand into a drawplate. Hmm. Never thought of it that way before. Anyway the weave turns out just great, but you need to be careful that you make sure that you don't flatten your weave by pulling too hard or just on one side. Hope this helps!

Posted on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:41 pm

anyone going to post pics? you have sparked an interest here!

Submissions: 57

Posted on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:32 pm

here one I made ,( I made a few months ago, but) this should give you an Idea of a finished product

Posted on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:58 pm

Ever hear that saying, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears"? So I have been wanting to try this technique for a while now and just wasn't set up for it.

Knowing I had the viking knit book, went to hunt it down....must be in a really safe place, 'cuz I can't find it, arrrgghhh!

But found this thread and went through the 'step by step' mags and found the article in the winter edition. Really helpful, along with all the info here, I feel ready to start something. Now to go and make a drawplate.

Any suggestions on type of wood that would be best for this purpose?

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:55 pm

Use a hardwood, oak, or rock maple if you can find it.

Jeffrey

"Blar diddy blar diddy blar blar." - Blar

Posted on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

cool, thanks, off to home depot as I don't have a wood pile to root through...yet!

btw, tried the knitting with 26ga artistic wire...only did about 1inch...and not having a drawplate just pulled it anyway....already looks cool. Itching to get started...what an awesome site!

Posted on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:46 pm

Glad you are trying it and that you've had success. I have the right wire now, going to try a small plastic tube for a makeshift drawplate. I think I might just buy the corian drawplate that Dave Arens (guy who makes the Koil Kutter) has. It's like $15 or so.

Posted on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:50 am

For the draw plate, I just went out to Home Depot and got piece of oak for $4.(Canadian). Took out the drill and went to town. Think I need some smaller holes though.

So I have a vice with anvil on a lazy susan thingy...I know, that last bit was a little technical. I spent a buck at the dollar store and got a big, repeat pencil and broke it in half....don't need it that big. So, now I am off to the races with 26ga., as it is the smallest I have.

If anyone is interested I could post some pics of the high tech set up. Thanks to all who have posted suggestions. Don't think I would have taken the time to go for it!

Yay!
Posted on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:42 am

I was trying to learn this style out of one of my books and was having a rough go at it, because it doesn't say anything about using a wooden dowel to guide the chain, it basically says to just eyeball it! Coif LoL I still have all the supplies from that failed attempt and a spare dowel floating around so I think I'll give it another go 'round. The drawplate's easy: I have slabs of wood from failed bows that I can drill holes in. Hooray, new project.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next