Another Gallery Mod?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 294

Another Gallery Mod?
Posted on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:49 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Do we need one? If so darksidedsam has expressed an interest.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Admin or mod?

A mod moves threads around, watches for behavior, tells people when they're out of line, etc. An admin oversees submissions and organization of the Gallery itself. Both serve on the BOD, but I'd say admins have seniority over mods.

Didn't we just chain up 3 new gallery admins? Perhaps they should be beaten more regularly! Razz

I won't speak for need, though, I haven't noticed a particular need, in terms of needing someone to moderate. Other than moving threads, I think I've exercised my mod privileges all of 3 or 4 times in as many years. It's not a site that needs heavy moderating.

To address his candidacy.. as a mod, I say no. Generally I'd like moderators to be adults, people with lots of net experience, people who make decent efforts to form sentences, capitalize, and clearly communicate, and people who've been around a while. I'd also like to generally see them performing soft-moderating duties naturally. That is, being a leader, being someone people look to for advice and direction, people who's comments are influential enough that they shape conversations when they post. He passes nothing on that list. Far as I can tell he's only 16 and posts more or less as a model of how I would not like people representing the site to post. No mark against him, he's just lacking maturity and sophistication (hardly traits you could expect, or even want someone to possess at his age).

As an admin, I'd take those criteria and add even more to them, so he'd fail that too.

Actually, I don't even think you have Gallery mod privileges Legba, unless I'm mistaken. Admins should all have mod privileges everywhere in my opinion. Just for general housecleaning and helping them do their adminy tasks. It makes it hard to be a good moderator when your hands are tied from one place to the next.

It's up to the gallery admins/mods. If they think they need more help, we could poll for volunteers I guess. Normally though, nominees are suggested/sponsored by BOD members who know the member well enough and can vouch for them.

Submissions: 14

Posted on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:48 am

I don't know if we need another person in the gallery stuff right now. Between all of us, we keep the gallery queue down for the most part and take care of it I think.

Then again, I don't even know if I'm an admin or a mod, so don't ask me. Razz

I'll rise, but I won't shine.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1